ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Installing sky + hd multi room yourself

BMW 330ci
Basically we've currently got sky + hd box downstairs an a sky multi room. But I've changed rooms due to parents having a loft conversion so I've now lost my sky because they said sister can keep it. So rang sky thinking I could get another box and thought why not get sky + hd aswell but turns out to be fairly expensive. I can get the new sky + hd box 1tb for £49 but then have to pay £60 installation.

Was wondering if anyone has ever installed it theirselves and if it's relatively easy ?
Any help would be much appreciated

E90 320d
From what I can remember you will need a new LMB a new box, new card (request by post) and a subscription.

You then run two wires to your new box fix it up and then use the guide to do the final setup.

E90 320d
Or to save a lot of effor call up the Cancel team (customer retention) and suggest that Virgin media have offered you exactly what you want for free. Worked for me getting multiroom + free box and install

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
It's not easy for the cost of 60 quid, get them to do it, they will have to run 2 new cables for the signal etc...

BMW 330ci
Rang them up and can get the 1tb box for £49 and pay for installation £60 so £109 nd then £10.25 a month. And get everything what the parents have got. Which is everything so pretty pleased tbf

Yes it will bud. All new multiroom installations need to be plugged into the phone line. Sky had a lot of problems with customers claiming they had multiroom but infact it was wired into next door so the neighbour didn't have to subscribe to sky. I've worked for a sky homes agent for 8 years that's how I know. They will keep testing your multiroom box through the phone line to make sure it's connected.

Clio 182
Millerdom is correct Ronnie, i recently had a letter from them as i unplugged my multi room box from the phoneline and forgot to plug it back in, they said they would start to charge me another full subscription if i didnt plug the box back in.

Clio 172
Depends on a lot. First, check your dish to see if it has spare ports,it might have a 2way or 4way. If its the 2way, they are 20-40 quid, and easy to replace, but care needs to be taken while replacing. You SHOULDN'T need a telephone line, as you can get freesat cards to go in it (AFAIK), but could be wrong. Can get preterminated coax cables on eBay for around a pound a meter (well I got a 20m ish for £12).

But for £60, pay them to do it

SQ5
You get charged the £60 installation fee whatever for multi room anyway I believe so let them do it.

And all multi room boxes require a telephone or you could end up with a hefty bill. Customers modem failed inside the box, first he knew was a year subscription for 3 extra boxes in his doormat. Sky came out p, an have him two new 1TB boxes as a gesture of goodwill!

If he's got Sky+HD downstairs and a standard box in his old room then a quad (4way) LNB won't be big enough to run another Sky+HD, he will need an octo (8way) LNB. Freesat is totally different to a paid subscription from Sky regarding the phone line.

Audi S1
Yes it will bud. All new multiroom installations need to be plugged into the phone line. Sky had a lot of problems with customers claiming they had multiroom but infact it was wired into next door so the neighbour didn't have to subscribe to sky. I've worked for a sky homes agent for 8 years that's how I know. They will keep testing your multiroom box through the phone line to make sure it's connected.

Millerdom is correct Ronnie, i recently had a letter from them as i unplugged my multi room box from the phoneline and forgot to plug it back in, they said they would start to charge me another full subscription if i didnt plug the box back in.

None of my boxes are connected to a phone line and never have been in the 5 years I've been with Sky. They don't need to be connected to work, regardless of what Sky say. Probably breaking their T&C's.

Clio 172
Funnily enough... I'm doing my mates mums sky today, hers hasn't been plugged in since she got it, and that was 6-7 years ago

Mito Sportiva 135
I have Sky+ through my phone line and seems to be messing with my wi fi...what are the alternative connections then? (sorry to hi-jack thread slightly)

Clio 172
I have Sky+ through my phone line and seems to be messing with my wi fi...what are the alternative connections then? (sorry to hi-jack thread slightly)

What you mean messing with it mate? Is the sky box plugged in with a filter?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
I have sky hd + & multi room hd in my new place and I don't have a landline? The engineer said I don't have to have one.