ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Insurance For The Younger Ones...

Clio 182 Trophy
I'm 18 at looking at a phase 2 172 - anyone found a company that's particularly cheap?
Done a search and the name Bell came up, but not much else.
Thanks.

Clio 182 Trophy
I've been surprised by the insurance on the Clio, despite the RS being worth substantially more money and being a fair bit quicker, the Clio is proving to be the more expensive car to insure! I'm with Admiral at the moment (under my dads name, both of us use the car) and they wanted £1200 for the RS, and £1500 for the Clio.
Putting the details into Bell as I type.

Try confused, they search 80% of online in surance companie and come back with the cheapest!

My mates 20, with a Modded Scooby, hes with Norwich Union, 1 yeras no claims paying, £890

Da

Less
yeah you'll find that, I did when I was quoted on the Focus RS it was lower by £300 - £400 depending on company. The Clio is classed as more of a hot hatch I think, more boy-racerish than the FRS

*runs and hides* ;) :rasp:

172 Cup
I've still yet to insure my Cup, they want £2045 off of me. Guess I'll have to pay it now I've bought the car. Driving it will make up for the big payout tho. :)

172 Cup
Confused.com did nothing for me, Bell gave me the cheapest quote, I think the cheapest Confused gave me was something like £3500, most companies wouldn't touch me. Norwhich Union told me they don't insure under 25's on the Cup.

Clio 182 Trophy
Admiral were the cheapest on Confused, but I'm sure I can find it cheaper than that. I'll give Elephant a go as well.
To be fair, it probably is at more risk than an RS - the price difference means more younger people will be able to afford the Clio.
Apologies for putting this in the wrong section btw. ;)

MINI JCW
how come you are changing from the FRS to the 172?

I found the FRS was cheaper to insure as well which is strange as the FRS is faster and is worth more. There is a cool vid on here of a FRS v 182, there is nothing in it at all until licencse losing speed and then the FRS destroys it

Bell, Admiral and Elephant are all owned by the same company

Last edited:
  Clio 182 Trophy
I'm investing quite a bit of money into training for my career, so need all the money I can get!
I got an RS last August after much saving and doing quite well on my old car.
I'm quite looking forward to a 172 actually, since it's much more understated than the RS. Would be interested to see that video, but I'm surprised the Clio could keep up. :)

MINI JCW
182David said:
I'm investing quite a bit of money into training for my career, so need all the money I can get!
I got an RS last August after much saving and doing quite well on my old car.
I'm quite looking forward to a 172 actually, since it's much more understated than the RS. Would be interested to see that video, but I'm surprised the Clio could keep up. :)

I have the video but its 10mb, not sure if i can send it via hotmail, maybe i can send it if you have got msn, but im not sure, any idea?

According to the hotmail website i can send upto 10mb, and the file is just under so if you pm me with your email address ill send it you

Clio 182 Trophy
I really need to get a Clio that's under about £6.5k, so a 182 is out of the question unfortunately.

RenaultSport Clio 172 CUP
admiral = bell ? yess? well bell is a sub company or somthing? or am i wrong :)

Burbler
im 18, looking at a 172 (non cup) no no claims, car on driveway, policy in my name with dad as named and with admiral, bell and elephant im getting quoted around £4300 and im in a low risk area?

ive got a 1.2 16v at the moment and i'm paying £1900 on that for just myself.

I dont understand what i'm doing wrong for other 18 year olds to be getting such lower quotes ont the same car or cups?

Megane 225 Cup
youll be lucky to actually get insured on a 172 at your age (my age as well) tesco and norwich union are the best though i have found.

I cant see you getting it under 2.5k or even 3 maybe to be honest fully comp Flamered. No NCB is gonna put the price up loads. 20 with 2years NCB and I couldnt find it cheaper than 1700ish comprehensive. 172s cost a fortune to insure cos of how many get written off. I can insure an M3 fire and theft for the same price as a 172 fire and theft! Best waiting till you've got some no claims behind you.

Monaco Blue Mk2
Like said above ^^, you'll be lucky. For me at 18 with one years NCB and living in a decent area with it in a garage (Ph1 172 value roughly £4500) I got quoted £4000+ !! :) :evil: :mad:

Burbler
fungusman said:
youll be lucky to actually get insured on a 172 at your age (my age as well) tesco and norwich union are the best though i have found.

Don't think Norwich will insure under 21 on it, jus tried an online quote and it wouldn't have it :rolleyes:

I rang my current insurer (Natwest which I think is UK Insurance or something?) and they would insure under 21 either :dapprove:

I was expecting around 3-3.5K but the few that will insure me want a grand more..bastid insurance

(anyone want to buy a 1.2 16v dynamique lol?)

Civic Vtec y0
Just tried confused there for a laugh, got a quote on my old 1.2 MK1, cheapest Admiral £730, which is quite steep and the dearest, wait for it

Insureandgo £4294, OMFG on a 1.2!!!!!