ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Intermittent ABS activation

Clio 182
Hi guys, I have a slight niggle thats been bothering me. My ABS on my 182 seems to be cutting in under light to moderate braking for no apparent reason. I've been thinking the sensors need a clean but a mate of mine said the ABS pump might be on the way out. Just wondering what you guys think of it, thanks.

172 LB Clio
I had this on mine and it was the clip that had worked its way loose from the cv and was resting on the abs ring.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Can also be the Yaw sensor under the handbrake if you have ESP.

Hi guys,

my 182 Cup sometimes activates ABS when lightly applying brakes or just before stopping.
My mechanic connected it to Clip, spinned all the wheels one by one, according to Clip the sensor readings are OK.

I started to check the ABS rings if they are cracked or loose and found out that they are intact but not the same.
The number of teeth does match, but there are ~8mm wide rings on the back, ~8mm on the left front, but ~15mm on the right front (photos attached).

IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0373.jpg

After some research I found that CUP versions had 15mm wide rings on the front, while non CUPs had 8mm. Is that correct?
Are they 8mm wide on the back originally?
Can this difference on the front cause this issue?
Do I have to definitely go for 15mm's on the front or is it OK if both of them are equally 8mm's?

Thanks for your help!

Defo sounds abs ring related, if yours is cup packed suspension then they should have the wider rings on, and going off those pics it seems that way. You can fit the narrow rings on a cup but you need to align them under the sensor.

My advice replaced both rings as a visual inspection doesn't always show the issue.