ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Is GDI £1,550 setup Value For Money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 172
Hey

As topic suggests, is it better to get this all done at once by the same person or shop around and do it seperately?

Who on here has had it done?

I know some people on here say "put the money towards a faster car" but for me it's about having a faster 172. This £1,550 kit seems good value for money, especially when it costs another £2000 for only an extra 10bhp using throttle bodies.

All input welcome

O, and I'll be doing panel filter and K-tec stealth before this kit so should help towards better results.

Tom

The thing which many people, especially on here forget is that a RS Clio especially a 182 is already pumping out 90bhp per litre. Which in production car terms is a hell of a lot, so any gains above that are going to be marginal without spending over £2K.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
90bhp per litre has nout to do with it really. Bein NA is the issue.

look at the b16/b18 and K20A...There all more powerful and less or of the same cubic capasity.

BUT as you say, clio tuning is pointless. a Std 172 vs mine....Well there's a wee bit but the fun isn't in straight lines now....is it?!

Indeed, in isolation mines frankly awesomely quick, but out with friends its only marginal quicker when your giving it the beans down a bumpy back road. Wouldn't change it for the world though! :) :)

I've PM'd the guy my orginal write up on the package so hopfully he can make his own mind up.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Indeed, in isolation mines frankly awesomely quick, but out with friends its only marginal quicker when your giving it the beans down a bumpy back road. Wouldn't change it for the world though! :) :)

I've PM'd the guy my orginal write up on the package so hopfully he can make his own mind up.

you in the 200+ club?

tbh you have to spend lots of money to get the gains ........ so in theory you're probably better of buying a quicker car .

nothing wrong in tuning it to get a little more but to spend £1000's is pointless. If your serious about more power either do a transplant or buy a faster car!

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
ITB's or nothing for me.....I have'nt seen any quick FF 172/182s using cams/ecu tuning alone......

Weeman sucks ****
Put the money towards a good set of coilovers imo.

Engine mods should be the last on the list I think, unless you're one of those quarter miler types?

nah, for 20bhp, its a total rip off

that's just 20bhp at peak, the power increase through the rev range and increase in torque makes a fair bit of difference... and for £2000 more ITB's don't just give you and extra 10bhp. If I put mine up against a cam'd, inlet'd and mapped 172 I'd anhialate it. The low down torque and mid range is worlds apart.

In terms of the bhp increase you could argue its not value for money. In terms of the work done and the hardware used it is a fair price.

I have the 208bhp package from GDI see >
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=210780

Also read this for RR results for various states of tune >
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=195389

You will never get a positive response if you ask is tuning a 172/182 'worth' it. Its certainly not going to increase the value of the car,the opposite in fact.

The get a faster car comment always makes me smile. What cars would people buy that would be faster in standard form then a tuned RS?

I am getting my next upgrade soon, hopefully;) and later in the year I will get another car for everyday use and strip the clio out for use as a summer/track car. I am hoping for around 225-230bhp and under a ton.

Other plans will be LSD and shorter ratio box in the future. But basically I am keeping it and treat it as a hobby.

I personally would not tune the car at all if I was going to sell it in the next few years or was interested in cars as status symbols ie want an M3 or a boxster in the future.

Sticking a well setup set of coilovers on there should definately come before engine tuning IMO.

If you do decide to tune the engine phone up, and go and see if you can, a number of people. You are in Warwickshire so try Angelworks (BenR), Hillpower and GDI.

I would also PM people and ask for an honest opinion of these companies.

Lionel Richie
ah you're in warwickshire! not far from us, i live over in solihull feel free to pop over and have a chat about tuning options

avstar1

ClioSport Club Member
  172 cup
I agree with what mark has said...

I have had the package that you are interested in. I'm based in coventry and you are welcome to take a look. PM me if you are intersted

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The 172 is already cheapest in the class.

Compare it to a CTR for example, CTR is slightly quicker in a straight line to 100, but it's also something like £4k more. I know it's a nicer package all round (I want one), but if all you're interested in is speed, spend that much on the Clio and it would wipe the floor with a (standard) CTR. Depends how much money you have to command, as cars above the Clio are things like Megane 225s and CTRs. And both of them will see 300bhp with comparitively low money spent. They're still FWD though remember.

Bottom line is whether you want a fast hatch back or just a fast car.

ah you're in warwickshire! not far from us, i live over in solihull feel free to pop over and have a chat about tuning options

are there any threads where you don't ***** your company out Fred? It's a thread about GDI's package, not yours, so showing some class would be a nice surprise. If you were that good you wouldn't need to push your products and services in people's faces so much... :rolleyes: :nono:

that would make a nice surprise.

you should start your own thread on how great you are and ask some of your admin pals to sticky it

no, just makes me laugh that ANY thread about tuning your throwing your products in people's faces even when asking about other companies :rolleyes:

Lionel Richie
haven't thrown anything jon, just offered to meet up with the guy for a chat, no harm in that

anyway, i'll leave you to it, have fun

are there any threads where you don't ***** your company out Fred? It's a thread about GDI's package, not yours, so showing some class would be a nice surprise. If you were that good you wouldn't need to push your products and services in people's faces so much... :rolleyes: :nono:

It is a question about a GDI package but he is obviously looking at spending money on his engine and the more information he has about his options the better.

The package is cams and a remap isnt it? All of the companies can do it he may get a better price elsewhere.

As for Fred showing some class I doubt that will ever happen.

Sorry Mark, just get bored of any thread mentioning GDI or tuning and in comes Fred pushing products and ramming them down people's throats. I'm well aware that there are other companies out there that 'offer' the same products and services, but the good ones dont need to bang on about their own stuff on here all day long... probably because they are actually busy making fast cars... or doing something at least...

ITB'd GDI Original?
ITB's or nothing for me.....I have'nt seen any quick FF 172/182s using cams/ecu tuning alone......

Well said :cool:

Surely its just all about what you want from your car and how much you will miss the money. No regrets here and i've spent a fortune. Also GDI would be a good choice to take your car too.

All IMO of course.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
The 172 is already cheapest in the class.

Compare it to a CTR for example, CTR is slightly quicker in a straight line to 100, but it's also something like £4k more. I know it's a nicer package all round (I want one), but if all you're interested in is speed, spend that much on the Clio and it would wipe the floor with a (standard) CTR. Depends how much money you have to command, as cars above the Clio are things like Megane 225s and CTRs. And both of them will see 300bhp with comparitively low money spent. They're still FWD though remember.

Bottom line is whether you want a fast hatch back or just a fast car.

i figured my 172 is faster than a type R at the weekend :D

Surely its just all about what you want from your car and how much you will miss the money. No regrets here and i've spent a fortune. Also GDI would be a good choice to take your car too.

All IMO of course.

Not seen you on here for a while.

Hows the car running?

GDI ???BHP Cliosport172

All IMO of course.

I agree. Personally at the end of the day its to be able to stand up and show you have a 172/182 thats a bit quicker than standard. You,ll often find in most conversations you have with non-clio owners about cars that as soon as you mention the word they laugh in your face. Ive suprised a few people with mine because they thought it was 'just' a clio!
I think thats the main thing here that its nice to have a car with a surprise.
Im sorry but in my opinion its far too common to just buy big power, im happy with my small little car getting the fun out of it-thats what counts for me.

ITB'd GDI Original?

All IMO of course.

Not seen you on here for a while.

Hows the car running?

Yea mate ive just been in a big debate with myself the past 6 months on whether to keep the car or not. But my decision is yes. Car's still going good, just a few things im getting sorted now im keeping it. Look below.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=213896

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
TBR also have a few products worth looking at.

Especially if your on a budget.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.