ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

is it worth stripping out ur car?

clio 172 cup
yeh i spose it doesnt affect me having rear seats etc or not having them but people seem to say they get better throttle response etc?

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
I haven't had my back seats in for years mainly to accommodate my dog,
but when I put them back in for MOT time the car does feel different.

The best thing to do is take the rear seats out for a day and see if you feel any difference.

If you have passengers in the back regularly then i'd leave them in,
because it's a bit of an arse having to put them in and take them out all the time.

Personally I don't have any friends so it works out fine. :approve:

1eight2
If you strip your car its abit lighter and you also gain the "track ****" status. You need to get a nurburgring sticker for the rear bumper to complete the look. It adds 5bhp.

clio 172 cup
jamie hahahh and dave i aint got alot of freinds either hahahah :cool: ... Shift+R improves the quality of this image. CTRL+F5 reloads the whole page.

SQ5
Only worth stripping if your going all out and taking everything out Jamie. You'll have more noise which will make it feel quicker. All the sound deadening, dash everything, replace seats for bucket seats etc....

With spare wheel and rear seats out the rear end will feel a little lighter.

I've just put all my interior back in except rear seats and the cage weighs more than them so I'm actually at standard weight I reckon with seats being bucket seats.

I took the lower seat bit off and folded the seats down when I need to get a set of wheels in (not realising they would fit in the boot anyway).

To cut a long story short, They've been like this for the past week as the Yozza sounds awesome with no parcel shelf + rear seats to block the sound!!

May have to get them out permanently!

Porsche GT4
My cup is fully stripped, when i say stripped i mean the lot including dash, door cards, rear wipe & motor the lot. The difference is very clear, it feels quicker & handles better, however its a track car i would hate to use it as an every day run around.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
If you strip your car its abit lighter and you also gain the "track ****" status. You need to get a nurburgring sticker for the rear bumper to complete the look. It adds 5bhp.

Indeed. Cup bench weighs F all anyway. Go easy on the beers/kebabs for a month instead.

320d
It was fashionable on here 3+ years ago to have the stripped interior and bucket seats for road cars.

In reality its only worth it for a track car but they are a fair bit quicker stripped.

If you do it properly, and not what most people pass for stripping by removing the back seats, then yes it does make a big difference......IF YOU DO IT PROPERLY!!!

Sunflower Ph1 172
I look back with fond memories of a stripped out road car, there was something fun about it, and it did make a noticeable difference to 'performance'. If like comfort and/or listening to music, then don't do it. Also, if you have a girlfriend be prepared to have a pretty badass excuse why you don't have a CD player.. or speakers.

If you do it properly, and not what most people pass for stripping by removing the back seats, then yes it does make a big difference......IF YOU DO IT PROPERLY!!!

I agree. If you're going to do it make an effort, removing back seats is nothing. (however if you value your sanity don't remove the heater matrix).

e6c0b961.jpg

However, it's ultimately pointless.

Audi A5
I stripped my old daily 182 and put buckets in, really enjoyed it but soon got tired of the noise etc.

Also I didn't really notice any quicker straight line speed but it did seem to be a lot more nimble.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
My stripped 172 is awful to drive as a daily. Such fun when it's on track but the drive there and back is a killer.

Sinking into the BM is a dream afterward!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
lol at "has anyone on here stripped their car"

but yes, it makes a difference if you do it properly!! ie remove all the tar, sound proofing, seatbelts

ive even gone as far to removing PAS and AC, and was sizing up ABS for removal! it all counts!

speed is all down to BHP/ton ;)

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I stripped as much as reasonably practical the other week for a laugh (spare wheel, rear seats and cushions, parcel shelf. Didn't feel any faster but I found I was shifting into third towards the end of my road instead of holding it in second.

Done properly I'd notice the difference, but I wouldn't do that to my daily driver.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I've heard of a Saxo vts with full 106 gti leather interior keeping up with a fully stripped and modified vtr/s (vtr with vts lump) no problem.

Thats just word of mouth though I've not experienced stripped cars myself

172 Cup & Mini C 1.6
you will certainly be quicker bud but if you aint got the right kind of setup i.e coilies,ARB And rear struts the back end will be very twitchy