ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

It's Arrived!!!!!!

Nimbus Grey 197
Sorry but there aren't any pictures yet! After its 500 mile journey it needs a clean!

I am amazed, have read through lots of forums and asked opinions on moving from the 182 to the 197. First impressions was the sheer size - i know i have seen a 197 next to a 182 but couldnt remember the difference in size! It felt massive when i first took it out.

Had to go on a 50 mile round trip last night anyway so made full use of the free full tank
icon_smile_big.gif

Am still slightly concerned about the gear ratios, pretty sure it has the new box but sits at 3200 at 70mph in 6th gear and 4100ish at 80. Averaged 29.6 mpg when doing 80 for about 45 minutes which i think is pretty good? Will be intrigued to see what it will be like over the coming months!

I love the seats, i love how chunky it feels and despite what many others have said i love the steering and how light it is! The driving position is much better than the 182 and the steering wheel itself is much nicer also - im sure it wont melt on me either!

Feels so much more responsive at higher gears when you put your foot down....and the sound of that exhaust - doubt i will get bored of that!!

Was looking for a big button that says 'OFF' next to the heater - like the one on the 182 but i am advised you cant fully turn it off? Just put the fans right down??

Also found in the glovebox a hole which looks like it might be an auxillary input? Does anyone know what this looks like - will take a picture over the weekend but someone might be able to shed some light on this....

My drive last night was all motorway so will have to take it out on the twisties this weekend and update this post with pictures and a further review.

For anyone thinking of taking the plunge......do it!!! I am certainly glad i did......here's to a driving filled weekend - can't wait.

Will post pictures this weekend!

Finally - a massive thanks must be said to Marc Elgar - A* service from beginning to end. Marc never failed to do all that he could for me and was a genuinely nice guy to deal with. Would recommend him thoroughly.

Woza.

Barge
another fan of the 197, yey! pleased you're happy with it!! i know i couldn't love mine any more than i do. did you get the cup chassis?

ps. i completely know what you mean about the exhaust!!

White clique
Fantastic upgrade, brilliant news that you are happy with it, as you have pointed out the 197 is a very different car to the 182, but in no way does that mean its not as fun!

In answer to some of your questions:-

Does yours have auto/climate control? If so, its meant to stay permanently on at your chosen temp, or you would have to switch off the fans using the fan speed button.

The gear ratio sounds about right, i get 4.5k out of 80-85mph so its just something to get used to, but there is good pull even in sixth gear!

The plug in the glovebox could be an MP3 input if its been upgraded, i think these ports are on a small box inside the glovebox, if so, happy days!

a good choice of colour too, add some pics soon.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
See, told you ;)

Most peeps on here still have their 2001 MK2 blinkers on ;)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Indeed, buyers market!! The prices of R26's are tempting though..... 10k for a car just run in. Bargin. I'll stick to my slow, heavy 197 for now though ;)

ST
Totally..

Yeah my 'slow' 197 that ramps up the box faster than my old 182 ever did...box is so slick..never missed a change..

Shift light, its how we do'..

320d
Gota love the 197 v 182 threads.

I wasn't around here back then but did they have 172 v 182 threads and ph-quick v ph2 172 threads?

I've got to say the 197 is a fantastic looking car, suposed to handle brilliantly but they just don't seem to have the same go-karty feeling that the MK2's do. Although I havn't driven either so i'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.

I wasn't around here back then but did they have 172 v 182 threads and ph-quick v ph2 172 threads?

I've got to say the 197 is a fantastic looking car, suposed to handle brilliantly but they just don't seem to have the same go-karty feeling that the MK2's do. Although I havn't driven either so i'd be more than happy to be proved wrong.

its always been williams vs 1*2, ph-quick vs other 1*2s and now 1*2s vs 197s, people are scared of progress ;)

Turbo LY R27

lol its not a VS thread tho!:eek:

He is just informing us about the best renault in production:rasp:

172 cup
After going in a friends 197 cup, i personaly am certain that a 172 cup is quicker. The 197 was more refined, smoother and newer but it only seemed to pull after 6000rpm, i was to be honest dissapointed in the performance of them.

if they're anything like the old RSs... they're in their prime at 40k miles.

So many 197s have a lot of miles to do before they're at their best!

Turbo LY R27
^^^ yeah i agree, mine is on 24k now and feels very different comp to when i first had it.

It was the same with my old 182 tbh

After going in a friends 197 cup, i personaly am certain that a 172 cup is quicker. The 197 was more refined, smoother and newer but it only seemed to pull after 6000rpm, i was to be honest dissapointed in the performance of them.

They pull hard from 5000 rpm

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Sorry to drag it out but is the 197 faster than a 172?

I didnt think about it much as there from totally different ages of hot hatches but the 197 is over 180kg's heavier than a phase 1?

25 bhp of a difference to lug an extra 180kg's about?

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph

I didnt think about it much as there from totally different ages of hot hatches but the 197 is over 180kg's heavier than a phase 1?

No;)

Mustang, S13, AX GT

dead heat, the 197 is just as fast as my mates 172 its all about who hits the loud pedal 1st.

clio sport 172, 2002

there about the same i had a little play with a black 197 in my black 172 and we where neck and neck

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I've had a few plays with 197's, and tbh they are evenly matched.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
not bad at all, love the R27s in silver.

need to get your body along to the first driving meet of 2009 to show it off