ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

I've got my 197 cup, how many miles to run it in?

197 cup/ skoda Fab vrs
I've just picked up my 197 cup in White with recaros. Was just wondering how many miles to run it in. Cheers Paul

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
it is in the handbook. iirc it is 625 miles limited to 3k? probably wrong though.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
750-1000 ftw

To be honest mate it should be good to go from the start as there prepped via the factory and good to go. But definatley at least 750 to be safe!

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Really don't need to be run in, just make sure the engine is upto normal temp. and then drive it like normal.

BMW M135i
I'd just drive as normal for 600 or so miles then change the oil/filter. I'd still be a little kinder for the first 600 miles than i'd be after that.

Renaultsport Clio 197
I gave mine a good 600 miles before i got to see the green gear change light!

Obviously during that 600 it was very hard to resist a quick stamp on the pedal but only when it was really warm.

Those bedding in miles flew by though as i was, and still am, addicted to driving it....excellent little car!

Oh and don't forget to bed in the brakes, a few 60-20's on a quiet road should sort that..............enjoy.

e60 M5 -172- dciheid
Kick its arse from day one if you want a 'quick' one...

yup.

wheelspin and limiter off dealer forecourt are usually a good start :rasp:

treat it like a baby and you will regret it later imo. The trout who had my megane never battered it and it took 4000 miles to get more life out it

E11OOT

ClioSport Club Member
  Evo 6/Ph1 v6/R34
run it in hard, will be a quicker engine in the long run.

make sure you let it warm up fully before any hard reving

Last edited:
  Mustang, S13, AX GT
I ran it under 3k revs except a couple of giddy moments up until 600 miles then spanked it ever since :)

172 FF
Unless it has running in oil in the engine, then it shouldn't need any running in.

Also running in doesn't mean you should drive like a granny. You have to keep the engine under load as much as possible when running properly, otherwise you allow the cylinder bores to glaze over before fully bedded in. That means not sitting around with the engine just idling.

But I'm pretty sure most mordern engines have been run in before you buy them.

E87 118d M Sport
This should provide an interesting read for you.

www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

that is very interesting. wonder why manufacturers dont advertise these facts. surely if they booked the cars in for an oil change after say 100 miles they would have less engine problems in the future to sort out.
or maybe ive just answered my own quesiton
less problems to sort out means less repair costs for the manufacturer?

hmmm.....

Owen

ClioSport Admin
Have seen that link a few times before....

Have heard that the ex-demonstator m3's in Cardiff BMW always felt faster than carefully run in customer cars having been hammered from new.

Clio 197 R27
easy for the first 50 then drive it like you would normally vary the loads and always make sure it's warmed up before giving some beans. i've had mine for 8 months now it has not even used half a litre of oil in 10,000 miles and is getting 33 mpg average. Oh and dont bother with the traction control switch the thing off and keep it off.

cock mobile.
To be honest I'd rather run it in a bit before "thrashing" it.

Reliability is worth a couple of hp to me.

Lee

BMW M2C
I left the garage, warmed it up then gave it death.

I ran the 172 and 182 in by the book and both of them felt dead and lifeless. I ran the Trophy in hard, and even had it on track by 3 weeks old. That car was a flying machine, so I took the same approach with the Cup. The Trophy didn't have any mechanical problems whatsoever and I covered 40k miles in 2 and a half years with at least 10 track days.

Make sure it's up to full temperature, then drive it how you want, but avoid sustained high revs or labouring for the first 1k miles.

Clio 197 R27
This should provide an interesting read for you.

www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

that is very interesting. wonder why manufacturers dont advertise these facts. surely if they booked the cars in for an oil change after say 100 miles they would have less engine problems in the future to sort out.
or maybe ive just answered my own quesiton
less problems to sort out means less repair costs for the manufacturer?

hmmm.....
i bought one of the last rover mini's and they has an oil change at 500miles, six months and a year.
engines still ok and it's had a hard 8 years so. unfortunatly the syncromeshes on the gearbox haven't faired quite as well:(

C-VXR, T8 Map 220BHP
not that its the same car but i was told i didnt need to run-in my Corsa. just to chage the oil at about 1000 miles to remove any particles that may have sheared off/ left in from the factory.

Because I’m a geek and work in particle characterisation anyway, a ran the used oil under vacuum through a number of filters and the largest particulates left were only in the 30—40um range. So basically nothing that would harmed in the engine. If anything they would have polished and smoothed things out inside

I think manufacturers advise a running period as things like brakes will not be as effective until bedded in and also for the driver to "acclimatise" to the new car. It would be irresponsible for a manufacturer to advise new drivers it give the car a thrash to gain more power and increase the likelihood of accidents.

ST
easy for the first 50 then drive it like you would normally vary the loads and always make sure it's warmed up before giving some beans. i've had mine for 8 months now it has not even used half a litre of oil in 10,000 miles and is getting 33 mpg average. Oh and dont bother with the traction control switch the thing off and keep it off.

Hmmm you must drive like an old lady..