ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Juddering

Clio 172 ph2
Hi,
I asked about this a few weeks ago and many people said it was a 'normal' cold starting 172.
Since then it seems to be getting worse. If I let the revs drop just below 2000 when I put my foot back on the gas the car judders and splutters until I give it a blip and its ok again, does this even when upto temp, any ideas? It's annoying the hell out of me as well as a bit worrying.

Clio 172 ph2
I really don't know, I'm far from being a mechanic lol. People have said air filter, has a cone filter on. It almost feels like it has a blockage in the exhaust if that makes sense? Has a straight through Powerflow, could it be anything to do with this? It didn't start doing it when I fitted the exhaust though - confused

Clio 172 ph2
I have spark plugs on the way, I bought them and then read the forums, I seem to have bought the ones everybody hates - Bosch Supr4? I don't know how to check idle control and I also didn't realise the plugs where so difficult to change. I don't want to make anything worse, yet need to learn

Clio 172 ph2
Yes Simon, maybe I have used the wrong word saying judder, more like a misfire or hardly any power, a choke almost then fine

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
And don't bother with the spark plugs you've bought. Send them back and get a set of the proper NGK's

Clio 172 ph2
Mines done 108k so new leads it is then. Yeah Chris, I noticed everyone uses NGKs, should've checked on here first I guess. I have to repair my bumper, light and wing too, had a cat run out on me, road works left loose stones and dirt, I slid, lost to a concrete post
wp_ss_20150803_0010.png
wp_ss_20150803_0010.png

Clio 172 ph2
Yeah I thought that but it was a neighbours. Got all the parts on the way, cost a bit but these things happen I guess

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Does it bounce you up and down when sitting still in traffic or at lights?
If so, mine is doing this. Very annoying.
How do you check idle valve?

Clio 172 ph2
No Lee, mine is more like a choking/mis fire, I asked about the idle valve, waiting for someone to point it out. Could yours be engine mount?

Clio 172 ph2
You never know with some places, I had one break but mine shuddered when I was braking, guess its different for which one has broken, if that's the cause. The guys on here will know a lot more than I do lol

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Have checked all the engine mounts, all fine. Have had the plugs and leads replaced today and I still lumpy. What next? Are these just lumpy in general and I'm trying to cure something which is normal? Here's a video of how it sounds. Quality isn't the best as the file was to big so had to compress it.

The car shakes to the sound of the exhaust... I don't know how to explain it lol.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
lee have you maybe got a leak somewhere,my idle is rumbling more aggressive and found out 2day my cat joint is blowing slightly

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
sorry thats what i mean on mine,manifold to cat is blowing causing a rumble on idle,renault wolverhampton was 19 delivered mate

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
drove down the lanes this morning to work. Is defo a lot smoother to drive with new plugs and leads.
Idle is "better" but not perfectly "smooth". Feels like a different car now. The plugs that were taken out were LPG ones lol.

Clio 172 ph2
I replaced my plugs and the choking has gone, a lot better but it still starts to 'rumble' and shake a little at idle when warming up, after about 20 seconds of starting up, I'm guessing this is just normal?