ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Jumpy cruise control

PH2 172 & 182
I've recently fitted cruise control to my 172. It works, but is very jumpy. It does not cruise smoothly at all, and occasionally cuts out. The same goes for the speed limiter

If you change the dash display away from the set screen, it keeps coming back and the speed flashes occasionally

Any ideas why?

I'd guess dodgy wiring. Usually if you change the display it only comes back if you re-enable the cruise or change the speed. Sound's like something is shorting or something making it think it is being adjusted or turned off.

PH2 172 & 182
Check the throttle pedal and also clean the throttle body

It does feel like an unclean throttle body, but it drives beautifully otherwise, so seems unlikely. I have a spare pedal that I could try out

I'd guess dodgy wiring. Usually if you change the display it only comes back if you re-enable the cruise or change the speed. Sound's like something is shorting or something making it think it is being adjusted or turned off.

That is roughly my thoughts. Although I would have expected the cruise to cut out straight away if there was a short or dodgy wiring, not jump a bit and maybe cut a few minutes later?

Might be an intermittent short or a faulty button etc that only only happens over certain bumps / vibrations?

02 Iceberg 172
Would be worth emailing Henk @ fastchip. I know that retro-fitted cruise control was giving some problems on earlier maps, but he was able to sort a fix for it.

02 Iceberg 172
Guess what the problem is ;)

Yeh, he couldn't solve it on mine a few years back. Just stopped replying to my emails. So I took the RSTuner map off, problem solved.

Was your cc retrofitted Dan? Shame that he couldn't/wouldn't help you out then but it is definitely solved now...

Bugger. Sold the rstuner long ago now!

That makes things a bit complicated - iirc you'll need to borrow someone's rstuner + buy an reprog licence (58EUR) at the very least to even remove it. If you want to keep rstuner and use cruise control then Henk *may* send you an updated map that works with cc but will still need the rstuner + licence. If you can't get an updated file from Henk then you will probably need to buy a new map (29EUR).

Or you could buy a new rstuner box (199EUR) which comes with the latest map and then sell that on again once you are done...

Was your cc retrofitted Dan? Shame that he couldn't/wouldn't help you out then but it is definitely solved now...

That makes things a bit complicated - iirc you'll need to borrow someone's rstuner + buy an reprog licence (58EUR) at the very least to even remove it. If you want to keep rstuner and use cruise control then Henk *may* send you an updated map that works with cc but will still need the rstuner + licence. If you can't get an updated file from Henk then you will probably need to buy a new map (29EUR).

Or you could buy a new rstuner box (199EUR) which comes with the latest map and then sell that on again once you are done...

Yes I retrofitted it to my old ph2 about 3 years ago

PH2 172 & 182

Would my old reprogram license not work on a different rstuner? Wouldn't be the end of the world to pick one up to change the map, I shouldn't lose money on it

Nissan 350z
The license locks the RSTuner to your car so its used there and then. If you sold the RSTuner on then the next owner would buy a license and lock it to their car, overwriting yours etc.

Actually according to henk, it would still work on his car if he bought the same RSTuner back. As I questioned about doing 2 of my own cars back in the day I didn't want to have to keep buying licences. He said it would work fine between the 2 vehicles.

Nissan 350z
Yeah sorry you are correct, It locks your ECU to the RSTuner not the other way around as I said above. So I suppose in theory if you were able to track down that same RSTuner your car would still recognise it.

02 Iceberg 172
Would my old reprogram license not work on a different rstuner? Wouldn't be the end of the world to pick one up to change the map, I shouldn't lose money on it

As I understand it the reprog licence would only work once, and is then linked to the rstuner box you used it on.

Actually according to henk, it would still work on his car if he bought the same RSTuner back. As I questioned about doing 2 of my own cars back in the day I didn't want to have to keep buying licences. He said it would work fine between the 2 vehicles.

Yes that's how I understood it as well - the reprog licence doesn't lock the rstuner from the previous licence holder, just unlocks the rstuner so a second user can use it on their car as well. That is why if you borrow someone's rstuner box and buy a reprog licence the rstuner box still works for the person you borrowed it from.

However, may work out easier and cheaper to just buy a new rstuner box complete with new map and then sell it on to recoup most of your costs...

PH2 172 & 182
I'm not sure I'm that bothered about cruise control tbh. Only fitted it because I had the parts available. Didn't want to have to map my car again!

02 Iceberg 172
I don't do a huge amount of highway driving but when I have I've been very glad I fitted cruise control in my 172 :)