ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just picked up a monaco 172

E36 328
Just picked up this from basingstoke.

Pretty pleased with the price, was worried that it was cheap for a very good reason but having driven it i think everything feels pretty well. Hopefully that statement doesnt come back to bite me on the arse!

Tracking could do with doing and it smells a bit but everything else seems good and it seems to pull very well, although does have a slight hesitation when very low down in the revs (Any ideas anyone?)

Will be getting some wheels, possibly turinis, for it soon and it will definitely be subject to some lowerage.

One thing I didn't notice until too late, however, is that it has the headlight washers, but no xenons? But does have the auto lights?

Is this a strange combination or is it just me?

No xenons means they have been removed at some point, they were never made without them.

People will be quick to say front end smash, but the bumper still having the stickers in place suggests it's the original. Could just be the case a previous owner has gone to Renault to price up a Xenon bulb, shat themselves, and bought a pair of halogens for less instead.

Unfortunately, that is the usual headlight configuration of front end smash fixed on the cheap. Sorry.

What does it smell of?

The slight hesitation is nothing to worry about. Fly-by-wire thing IIRC.

E36 328
No xenons means they have been removed at some point, they were never made without them.

People will be quick to say front end smash, but the bumper still having the stickers in place suggests it's the original. Could just be the case a previous owner has gone to Renault to price up a Xenon bulb, shat themselves, and bought a pair of halogens for less instead.

Oh right I thought they were an option :-S guess I'll have to look out for some then. Although that's a bit disconcerting, hopefully it's as simple as what you suggested.
Unfortunately, that is the usual headlight configuration of front end smash fixed on the cheap. Sorry.

What does it smell of?

The slight hesitation is nothing to worry about. Fly-by-wire thing IIRC.

Just smells a bit musty really. The car is hpi clear, but of course that doesn't always tell the full story! I'll have to have a proper check around and make sure nothing's bent at the front!

Oh right I thought they were an option :-S guess I'll have to look out for some then. Although that's a bit disconcerting, hopefully it's as simple as what you suggested.
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much as long as it drives fine and the front end lines up properly.

I assume it belongs to/did belong to a member from here with the floor mats with the CS.net logo and mentioning the dephaser?

E36 328
any fella pics....

Not yet I'll get some pictures at the weekend if I get a chance.
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much as long as it drives fine and the front end lines up properly.

I assume it belongs to/did belong to a member from here with the floor mats with the CS.net logo and mentioning the dephaser?

The guy I bought it off isn't on here, no, I'll have a look on here for the reg though.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
It doesn't look a bad buy for the money :)

Hopefully the missing xenons and the tracking being out aren't related.

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172

Sorry to say mate but this sounds like why !

work for BMW
looks like a great deal , i think i personally would be too scared to buy something like that just because it is so cheap, i would always think WHY is it so cheap, must be a reason!

E36 328
Yeah, was a bit of a gamble, but I was willing to spend up to £2k and I got it for £1275, so HOPEFULLY the worst case scenario will be just me spending a bit of extra money on getting it up to scratch and I won't be (much) worse off.

Took it to get the tracking done today and desperately needs the n/s track rod end replacing, so have just ordered 2 from ecp. Dont want to just replace one.

Also, there is a coolant leak, not a small one. I think I have a pretty good idea as to where its coming from though, so will need to get that sorted. Coolant looked pretty dirty as well so will need to flush that through.

Worries me that the MOT (11 months) is a dodgy one, because there is literally NO way it would have passed with the track rod end balljoint in the state that it was.

Definitely going to hold off spending any money on mods until I know everything like this is sorted!

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
hum looks a bit ropey, appreciate your on a tight budget- I would have gone for a lowish mileage Ph1, rather than a 10 owner 100k Ph2.... plus all in to get it up & good probably another few hundred sheets...

Get some xenons in it & get it polished up- for just over a grand it doesnt matter to much- you could Ebay it back out for 1k

S

Iceberg 2002 172
Bought mine for £900 quid the other day, (silver 2002 172 on 131k) MOT untill next october and taxed till april.

My steering is shagged! having to replace both track rods and inner rods and that should clear it! but having paid so little for the car i have some spare cash to do a small amount of maintenance. mines got all the toys and extras, bodywork isnt too bad apart from the bonnet and everything works as it should.

Matt.

Astra Coupe turbo
the fact you guys are saying it seems abit cheap for it to be 100% is scaring me, off to look at a monaco blue tomoro, 53 plate with 71k miles 1250 quid, but thats on auction, and at this time of year auctions are flopping (well im hoping thats the reason its cheap) lol

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
the fact you guys are saying it seems abit cheap for it to be 100% is scaring me, off to look at a monaco blue tomoro, 53 plate with 71k miles 1250 quid, but thats on auction, and at this time of year auctions are flopping (well im hoping thats the reason its cheap) lol

Cheap 172 s are cheap for a reason. There all shagged !

Astra Coupe turbo
meh, think ill risk it, wheels and tyres gotta be worth 350, interiors gotta be worth 300? sure i could get 1200 in bits if t didnt work out, ps soz for hijacking thread