ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just put down a deposit

On this: http://www.marshallweb.co.uk/vehicl...e=RENAULT&model=CLIO&term=0&mileage=0&deposit=&

I am going in wednesday to make sure all the paperwork ties up and give it a better test drive and ensure the brakes are fixed and sorted out and the front tyres are changed as they are both bald but the rears are new, which is a bit odd as they are all matching tyres. And if all good doing the deal.

Is it a good price or should I try and knock it down a bit?

The only marks are 1 chip on the front bumper, 1 chip on the graphite part of the bumper and what looks to be a touch up on the spoiler. (And lots of swirls which should hopefully polish out)

Also is there any thing I should look for that you would recommend checking out apart from the normal checks?

Also how can I check that it has the cup chassis and not just had the spoiler stuck on? Also is there a picture comparison somewhere between the headlight options so I can see what ones it has? Or an easy way to tell?

I was going to go for the 197 f1 but after reading about gearbox issues and the 197 lacking a bit of oomph low down I think it's worth the little extra money.

Thanks for all the help

You may do! I love these wheels, one of the reasons that swung me to this particualr car lol

The tyres will be changed before I put anymore money down, as the brakes will need sorting. Also is the bit in the middle of the dash the Renaultsport monitor? Does that mean it has the 4 cd changer?

How do i recognise folding mirrors and cornering/non cornering lights?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
It doesn't have cornering headlamps, they have the round projectors in them. It could be the RS monitor its hard to tell from the pics. If it says 'Renaultsport' on start up it has it. (Its little pointless on a clio tbh so no biggie)

Make sure tyres aren't ditchfinder 2000's, make a big difference to how the car behaves!

If it has folding mirrors the electric mirror switch has an (arrow) on it, they only fold in if you twist it all the way round off memory

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Is that at the Ford dealer opposite the airport?

if so, I've seen that a few times driving in and out of the dealership - I work opposite!

Thanks g@z i'll take a closer look on wednesday.

The tyres at the moment are conti sports.

Hi Simon, it is! I test drove it last weekend, if you fancy it/have time you could pop over and cast an eye see what you think ;)

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Not a bad car-

Anthrafail pack & yellow dash trims hum..

Lose the Stickers, Spray the grey bits black, spray the dash trims & you will be nearly there!
S

Clio RS200 FF
The 'cup' spoiler was an additional extra and not just found on 'cup' cars. I personally think it ruins the lines of the car and suits the 197 better but it's better than nothing. As for the display in the middle of the dash it looks like the standard radio display. Also get the grey bumpers and yellow dash trims painted as they do nothing for the car at all.

The 'RenaultSport' decals on the rear quarters are a £90 extra too.

Seems a good price for a 2009 car.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
didnt you need to get the bluetooth stereo to get an RS monitor as that just has the normal non BT stereo, also is that not a bit early for the RS monitor, sure it was added later on in the production date?

I have no idea. Not a lot of love for the graphite but I quite like it. Also the yellow matches the seat belts

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I like that, I think the grey colour pack ties in with the wheels, I'd leave it as it is. I kinda like the yellow pack too lol.

Remove the rear quarter stickers though IMO.

Nice car :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I think that car would look wicked if you remove those awful stickers, and fit a set of black speedlines but get them painted in the same anthracite as the bumper trims!

Racing Blue 182 Cup
Don't mind the stickers, wheels are not the best design and I personally couldn't live with the yellow dash and seatbelts. Spoiler looks odd on the 200. 2 owners in 3 years? Apart from that looks good in white.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Don't mind the stickers, wheels are not the best design and I personally couldn't live with the yellow dash and seatbelts. Spoiler looks odd on the 200. 2 owners in 3 years? Apart from that looks good in white.

2 owners in 3 years is good!

Most people keep these sorts of cars for a year. Add to that that the car could have been pre-registered when it was new, it may have only had 1 driver from new.

I can't believe people complain about 2 owners in 3 years!

I've got a 55 plate car waiting to go out to a customer tonight and the new owner will be owner number 9.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
But add in with the chewed up front tyres and god awful brakes and it seems a bit odd?

SO why have you put a deposit down on it if you're not sure you want to buy it?? What a waste of everyones time.

If I was that salesman, i'd make it such hard work for you to get that deposit back.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
But add in with the chewed up front tyres and god awful brakes and it seems a bit odd?

It's clearly been driven the way god intended then! Make sure they do the brakes and tyres and it should be all good. Make sure you get some sort of warranty on it too as the renault one is going to run out very soon (3rd October by the looks of it).

How's the history (You might have said about it already, but i'm on the wrong page to look now!)

How is it a waste of anyones time!?

If you didn't want to comment on it then don't, there you go, your time is saved.

The reason I am put off is because of some of the comments on this thread and I don't care if you were the salesman, a refundable deposit is exactly that. Refundable. I am not going to spend 10k on a car I am not happy with, tyre wear can be a number of things, as can dodgy brakes, and on their own they are not too much of an issue. But mix it with owners that don't keep the car long = possible owners that don't treat the car with respect.

When I was viewing the car I was told there was only one previous owner and they knew the guy quite well so how much of that is a lie? At least half of it. Not looking good is it. That extra owner is causing a lot of 'doubts'. I never said I wasn't going to get the car or was no longer interested, just not as interested as I was especially as I have seen similar specs with less miles for less money.

Next time make sure you know the facts before throwing your dummy out the pram.

It's clearly been driven the way god intended then! Make sure they do the brakes and tyres and it should be all good. Make sure you get some sort of warranty on it too as the renault one is going to run out very soon (3rd October by the looks of it).

How's the history (You might have said about it already, but i'm on the wrong page to look now!)

Hi Chris, I am checking all the paperwork on wednesday and making sure it all matches up. I think they will give me a 3 moth warranty that I'll probably extend by atleast a year.

I don't mind a car being driven hard just not abused too much and looked after! :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
How is it a waste of anyones time!?

If you didn't want to comment on it then don't, there you go, your time is saved.

The reason I am put off is because of some of the comments on this thread and I don't care if you were the salesman, a refundable deposit is exactly that. Refundable. I am not going to spend 10k on a car I am not happy with, tyre wear can be a number of things, as can dodgy brakes, and on their own they are not too much of an issue. But mix it with owners that don't keep the car long = possible owners that don't treat the car with respect.

When I was viewing the car I was told there was only one previous owner and they knew the guy quite well so how much of that is a lie? At least half of it. Not looking good is it. That extra owner is causing a lot of 'doubts'. I never said I wasn't going to get the car or was no longer interested, just not as interested as I was especially as I have seen similar specs with less miles for less money.

Next time make sure you know the facts before throwing your dummy out the pram.

PMSL!!!

I haven't thrown my toys out sweetheart. Want a hand picking yours up though?

I just don't understand the point of putting a deposit down on a car unless you are 100% happy with it. Its a pointless exersize. If you lived 4 hours away and wanted to reserve it, I understand that scenario.

Do what you want, I don't care.

I've given my opinion, I think the car (from the description and pics) looks like a nice one.

I've got a little bit of experience in buying cars so I see it from all points of view. And Extending the warranty with the dealership is a waste of money (unless its a genuine Renault one.)

Usually it wouldn't, but after going through two owners and the front tyres being bald can only mean two things, it's on the original front tyres (lack of maintenance by both owners) or its had its clutch abused, if it was all 4 it would be a bit more understandable but just the front...? The backs still have enough life to last a few months so it's not like they are brand new either, which again would explain it.

PMSL!!!

I just don't understand the point of putting a deposit down on a car unless you are 100% happy with it. Its a pointless exersize. If you lived 4 hours away and wanted to reserve it, I understand that scenario.

Do what you want, I don't care.

I've given my opinion, I think the car (from the description and pics) looks like a nice one.

The reason I have put a deposit down is because I have to get a day off work to be able to look at it properly, if I book the day off and the car is gone I have wasted one of my very few days off. I explained that when I did it and they were fine with it.

Thanks but I don't play with toys :)

DB.

BMW 440i
SO why have you put a deposit down on it if you're not sure you want to buy it?? What a waste of everyones time.

If I was that salesman, i'd make it such hard work for you to get that deposit back.

Agreed here.

Daniel - Can you not have non-returnable deposits if they then decide they don't want it.

Personally, I thought that was the whole point in the deposit. From the buyers P.O.V, it secures the vehicle, from the sellers P.O.V, it secures the buyer, if they then bail, you have a small deposit for your inconvenience.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
It all depends how the seller has done it.

In this case, the seller has done nothing wrong and the buyer is getting cold feet due to tyres and brakes which were there the first time he looked at it.

I only offer returnable deposits if someone is wanting to deposit over the phone before a long journey to come and see it. And its only returnable if they're not happy with condition. I describe my cars with complete accuracy, sometimes i'm too critical, but it saves instances like this happening.

I raised the issue about the tyres and brakes and he is supposed to be getting his mechanic to look at it before I go in wednesday.

He however told me there was only one previous owner. Thats a condition I am not happy with as there is actually 2. It doesn't matter what I am not happy with, it wasn't something I could check at the time I put the deposit down (I didn't have a computer sitting in the forecourt) so there is no way apart from trusting what he said I could have known. And when I see the V5 I will be questioning it and asking why I was told it only had one owner.

The cars condition (once brakes and tyres are sorted) is fine physically, but imo thats only half the case, the paperwork also needs to match up, I can't sell that car in the future as only having me and one other owner, that will affect the value. Just like if there was only 1 page of service history, or it was missing a service stamp.

I may be picky but through experience once one thing starts to go wrong it tends to sprial.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Maybe it was a pre-registered car, so the first and only owner is actually shown as the 2nd on the V5?

So he's truthfull in that it has had only one owner, but the V5 shows two registered keepers.

Focus
FYI, not sure if it's already been covered just browsed the thread quickly.

When I brought my 225 Megane direct from Renault it had VERY low front tyres and the brakes had zero feel, 1 private owner car and the guy who owned it before me was an old boy! Brakes were (apparently) because the pads had glaced over as the car had been sat on the forecourt for a while, and the low front tyres were literally due to the fact it had done 19,000 miles and was due... Mine was registered as a dealer demo, then sold to the customer, I was the 3rd owner on a 2008 car last year, so very similar situation I guess? I think you're right in questioning though, I think when your spending a lot of money you want it to be spot on IMO.

Got new standard brembo pads fitted along with 2 eagle f1's as2's on the front in with the deal.

d4vy that might be spot on, the guy is supposedly an old fella who just pottered around in it!

How can I check who had it first? Should say on the V5 to the right correct? Also what does pre-registered mean?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
d4vy that might be spot on, the guy is supposedly an old fella who just pottered around in it!

How can I check who had it first? Should say on the V5 to the right correct? Also what does pre-registered mean?

Pre registered is when a garage registers a load of brand new cars in their own name. It boosts new cars sales figures. Then they sell it as a second hand car so that A) they can sell it cheaper and B) because they've registered a load of 'new' cars, they get a bonus from the manufacturer.

You could go and buy a brand spanking new car from the showroom and be the 2nd owner. That's pre-registered.

On the front cover of the V5 it will say who the registered keeper is. Below that it will say who the previous keeper was. Turn the page over, and check the dates. See when the last owner bought it.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Its probably on the original tyres it was sold with tbh. I know that if i was simply going to part-ex my car and get bummed on the value i certainly wouldnt be buying new tyres & brakes lol. I would have whipped the Recaros out as well mind ...

Also, by putting a deposit down already, you have absolutely no bargaining power whatsoever. Not like you can do the classic 'walk away im not interested' now is it, they already have your money!!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i got my factory tyres replaced at 6000 miles (granted wear had been accelerated on one due to arnold clark) but my 2nd set were probably 1k from being illegal when i traded it in at 13,500 miles. Driven properly these things demolish front tyres, my original rears were probably 50% worn @ trade in.

Racing Blue 182 Cup
2 owners in 3 years is good!

Most people keep these sorts of cars for a year. Add to that that the car could have been pre-registered when it was new, it may have only had 1 driver from new.

I can't believe people complain about 2 owners in 3 years!

I've got a 55 plate car waiting to go out to a customer tonight and the new owner will be owner number 9.

If it was pre registered then fair point. IMO 2 owners in a short time would put ME off. Why? Because when I have bought brand new cars I knew I would be keeping them for at least 3 years so would treat them with respect. If I was buying a car to keep for a year I would rag it as it would soon be someone else's problem. As said many times on this forum Renaultsports are capable cars for the price but DO need treated with respect engine, gearbox etc wise. As for the majority of car salesmen they are just like insurance companies, happy to shaft you for your hard earned cash and best friends with you whilst you hand your money over then forget who you are as soon as you have an issue.

OP If your not happy mate walk away it's your money nobody else's. Don't lose sleep over wasting a salesmans time!