ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Just switched to Android from iOS

Absolutely loving it! Switched my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy S3 and couldn't be happier.

Things I have done so far -

• Able to text anyone from Google Chrome that is synced to my Google account.
  • Got a cron job running every to back up my phone and SD card on my home server, which in turn will push it to my Mac.
  • When I get to work it'll automatically turn my bluetooth off and set my phone to silent. Only to turn it back on again when I leave the Office.
  • When at work/home I don't need to put in a passcode to unlock my device.

On top of a much superior battery life, cracking screen (use one of these for a day and I just couldn't get back to the iPhone's small screen) and the freedom for me to do whatever I want with it I am surprised I didn't swap sooner. Not saying the iPhone is a bad phone (because it isn't) but for the sort of things I like doing (programming/tinkering/system setup) its perfect. Now if Linux would just run Footy Manager / Starcraft properly I could swap OS X to that too.

Yes. Of course you didn't think this would start an argument.

I can't be bothered to correct your points.

Enjoy your phone. Good luck with your updates.

Last edited:

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Absolutely loving it! Switched my iPhone 4S for a Galaxy S3 and couldn't be happier.

• Got a cron job running every to back up my phone and SD card on my home server, which in turn will push it to my Mac.
  • When I get to work it'll automatically turn my bluetooth off and set my phone to silent. Only to turn it back on again when I leave the Office.

On top of a much superior battery life, cracking screen (use one of these for a day and I just couldn't get back to the iPhone's small screen) and the freedom for me to do whatever I want with it I am surprised I didn't swap sooner. Not saying the iPhone is a bad phone (because it isn't) but for the sort of things I like doing (programming/tinkering/system setup) its perfect. Now if Linux would just run Footy Manager / Starcraft properly I could swap OS X to that too.

Hmmmmm. I've been toying with the idea of moving from Android to Apple based on my experience of their iPad/iPod...but your reasons above are leaving me firmly on the fence. Got to admit screen size is a big issue for me, plus the tinkering etc.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

Sounds good, I highlighted the things I didn't understand.

Mito Sportiva 135
I have had 2 android phones and for me they are perfect. Only problem I've had with my GS2 is lack of software update - sure I can do it via my PC somehow but even so, it should be automatic. Some new apps aren't compatable with Gingerbread now either which is going to be a pain for me over the rest of my contract. Suppose I should call Orange to sort it out!

Ged

PD130 Peach
i have toyed with the idea... android is getting better and better.. .then realise, feck, i have like 100 quids worth of apps and probs 300 quids worth of apple accessories. pretty tied in.
Whats the apps like on android... any more expensive, cheaper or free?

Mito Sportiva 135
Hideous?? I would hardly say that! Probably not as sleek as an iPhone granted, but if you're dismissing a phone solely because of the aesthetics of the case design then I would suggest you have your priorities wrong!!!

Ged - that's why Apple is clever. They get you in to their brand and end up tied in (although MANY people seem happy to be!) apps are probably the same though as on an iPhone, some free, some paid for...depends what you want!

i have toyed with the idea... android is getting better and better.. .then realise, feck, i have like 100 quids worth of apps and probs 300 quids worth of apple accessories. pretty tied in.
Whats the apps like on android... any more expensive, cheaper or free?

Same here mate but as they are changing the dock connector for the next phone I took the plunge. The apps on iOS are of a better quality - not denying the App Store is better, but developer know Android users are too tight to buy apps so some developers (Angry Birds for one) give you the game for free but with adverts

Sounds good, I highlighted the things I didn't understand.

• I can text anyone from my work computer without getting my phone out and looking like I am doing bugger all. It then relays the message to my phone and sends it out.
  • A cron job is something you can set in the background to do automatically every so often - be it every second or once a year - be it uploading pictures to my server, clearing down the ram, rebooting the phone etc.
  • I use my bluetooth for my car kit, not point in having it on in work if I am not using it.
  • Superior battery life, it is much better then the iPhone.

Yes. Of course you didn't think this would start an argument.

I can't be bothered to correct your points.

Enjoy your phone. Good luck with your updates.

Why because I prefer a different phone to the iPhone? Which I have had a good time using for the past year and a half. Android updates don't bother me as when the next update comes - I will have the next phone.

M135i and the shed
My only issue with the new S3 and the Samsungs before them is what they do with the Android OS. For some reason Samsung don't seem able to leave it alone and tinker with it, hence it never runs as sweetly as an native version and seemd to be doing more processing in the background. Thankfully the Samsung Galaxy Nexus comes with a non-messed about with version of 4.0 which is a relief and also means you get 4.1 first. Having said that I generally like the HTC take on the Android OS.

Mito Sportiva 135
Revels - no offence but you seem to like baiting people about being non-Applers. Are you Steve Jobs' ghost??

Revels - no offence but you seem to like baiting people about being non-Applers. Are you Steve Jobs' ghost??

I haven't baited anyone. I like to discuss technology. People just see it as 'baiting' or being a 'fanboy' because they disagree or they're wrong. This whole thread was set up for a row, as is obvious by the the OP's second post.

I haven't even corrected all his errors. Just pointed out about the update issue.

Which you know well as you're two OS's behind.

Last edited by a moderator:
...but if you're dismissing a phone solely because of the aesthetics of the case design then I would suggest you have your priorities wrong!!!

How does that work? What if someone else's priority is how their phone looks and feels in their hands? We don't all jerk off over being able to change the colour of our battery charging indicator, or whatever it is you can do on Android just as long as you have the right software for your device.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
  • I can text anyone from my work computer without getting my phone out and looking like I am doing bugger all. It then relays the message to my phone and sends it out.
  • A cron job is something you can set in the background to do automatically every so often - be it every second or once a year - be it uploading pictures to my server, clearing down the ram, rebooting the phone etc.
  • I use my bluetooth for my car kit, not point in having it on in work if I am not using it.
  • Superior battery life, it is much better then the iPhone.

Ah, ok. Cool.

Although we'll agree to disagree on the battery life and bluetooth on/off stuff. I've found it makes little difference.

To be fair you do sound like a tinkerer so android is obviously well suited.

Ged

PD130 Peach
Have to say, if your using something like whatsapp messenger (always on the internet basicly) android vs apple battery life is pretty much the same... a day... Obviously battery varies from android phone to phone, but this was against my friends desire HD. and its pretty much the same, probably leaning towards android having a bit better life.

Also, does iphone 4s have a better battery life than my 4?

Ah, ok. Cool.

Although we'll agree to disagree on the battery life and bluetooth on/off stuff. I've found it makes little difference.

Nice to have a balanced opinion for a change! In fact the only reason I got an iPhone was because I was putting new roms on my desire every week and losing my data! :lolup: - no doubt by this time next year I will have another iPhone or something, I go through phases.

I have always had the opinion that the iPhone had the best battery but the Galaxy is excellent - been off charge for 8 hours so far - now on 62%. That has been used 1 hour solidly on my dinner and odd texts etc through out the day, plus a 30 minute call on the way into work this morning.

M135i and the shed
Ah, ok. Cool.

To be fair battery life comparison is a somewhat dead point anyway these days. They're all equally crap whether Android or Apple. Phones these days are doing so much that the battery life just can't keep up imo.

It always amuses me when i'm abroad and my Galaxy Nexus battery lasts about 10 days without needed any juice. I'm lucky to get 2 days in the UK on full data. My Mrs 4S seems to have a similar capacity in honesty.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Have to say, if your using something like whatsapp messenger (always on the internet basicly) android vs apple battery life is pretty much the same... a day... Obviously battery varies from android phone to phone, but this was against my friends desire HD. and its pretty much the same, probably leaning towards android having a bit better life.

Whatsapp works very differently on each OS, its not "always on" on iOS as its not allowed to be. Instead you get notifications and the app reconnects. I suppose the notifications are technically always on, but its got its pro's and cons.

Yes the 4s has a better battery life over the 4.

I found my 4S to drain a bit faster then my 4. Although 5.1 has sorted quite a few of the inital drain problems out.

As long as my phone lasts from when I get up to when I'm going to bed, that's fine by me.

If it has 1% or 88% it doesn't really matter as it will stay on charge until the morning.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
As long as my phone lasts from when I get up to when I'm going to bed, that's fine by me.

If it has 1% or 88% it doesn't really matter as it will stay on charge until the morning.

Battery life is a near pointless worry these days, if i commuted into London every day I'd probably worry about it a bit more. But most of the time my phone is on charge.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The initial Samsung Galaxy has put me off Android altogether - i would find it hard to even entertain it again. Personally i find the iPhone 4's battery a very good compromise for the features it has!

Ged

PD130 Peach
its not worth me upgrading to anything i don't think... whatever the case it looks like my tomtom satnav cradle for my iphone will be made useless on the iphone 5... probs will keep my iphone 4 as a standalone satnav ha.

And i assumed with whatsapp to get the notifications so quickly, like 1 second after its sent from another phone it would always be having a bit of a link to the internet...

Ged

PD130 Peach

Then the issue (and iv had the on most occasions) you do your day to day things on friday, then go for a night out, arranging picking up ect, then your in a club, glance at your phone, feck! 2%) Then pretty much had it..

Personally I don't have an issue with the battery capacity of my iPhone 4. It regularly lasts for 3 whole days or more. But then I'm not playing with it all day.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I think a phone is a very personal thing, I think geekier people tend to use Android, people who want something that just works use the iPhone and 15 year old girls use Blackberry's .

I want someone to make a phone with the iPhone build quality but the Android OS, that would be perfection for me.

Then the issue (and iv had the on most occasions) you do your day to day things on friday, then go for a night out, arranging picking up ect, then your in a club, glance at your phone, feck! 2%) Then pretty much had it..

Mate, I'm way too old for that to ever be a problem for me. Lol. Me and my phone are tucked up in bed long before club kicking out time.

Plus my phone is on my desk and on charge until I leave work anyway.

Listerine & Poledo
Does leaving an iPhone in a dock throughout the working da knacker the battery out?

I know it shouldn't, but probably does, my Xperia can barely hold out a full day now, but it sits in its cradle 9-6 mon-fri.

FFS, it loses almost 5% just getting the tube into work!