ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec Stealth - Too Loud?

B

Bucko

I fitted the cat-back Stealth system to my standard Ph2 172 last thursday and have covered about 350 miles since. This is the first time i have ever fitted an aftermarket exhaust to a car in 9 years of driving.

Am i just getting old or is it supposed to be so loud that it makes your ears ring? It is completely unbearable under all driving conditions right up to about 4.5k rpm when it seems to ease off a bit. The 180 mile motorway drive with my gf was embarrassing today.

I called K-Tec on friday afteroon to voice my concerns straight away but Shaun assured me that things would quieten down once i get it proper hot and clock up a couple hundred miles. This has not been the case over the weekend at all. The words 'Drone' and 'Boom' have been in my head all weekend!

Am i just not suited to a stainless exhaust system or should i call K-Tec again this week?

Bucko

Ph1
Without changing bore size, very mush doubt you'll find quieter than the Ktec.

You want to try a Magnex system. Now that makes your ears hurt ! :dead:

Is it the supersport version or the normal version?

I've got the supersport version and mine isn't all that bad, motorway journeys can become grating at times.

I'd put it down to age mate :rasp:

B

Bucko

It's just the standard Stealth, it's got the silencer in the centre section.

I think i need to go out for a drive in someone elses Clio with a stainless system to compare.

I'm 26 but I feel like i'm 40 when I get in my car at the moment! lol

B

Bucko

Cruising at 70mph i used to have the stereo on about 10-12 but now i have to have it on about 16 just to hear it.

Anyone want to buy a 2nd hand K-Tec Stealth system? lol

Renaultsport Clio 172 Cup
Is it the supersport version or the normal version?

I've got the supersport version and mine isn't all that bad, motorway journeys can become grating at times.

I'd put it down to age mate :rasp:

:S i have a magnex system and I think its too quiet...

It's just the standard Stealth, it's got the silencer in the centre section.

I think i need to go out for a drive in someone elses Clio with a stainless system to compare.

I'm 26 but I feel like i'm 40 when I get in my car at the moment! lol

Same age as me, when I was younger I wouldn't have been bothered about making a aload of noise everywhere I went but now I do feel a little embarrassed when visiting family etc.

Don't get me wrong though when I'm in the mood I love the noise it makes.

B

Bucko

:S i have a magnex system and I think its too quiet...

Maybe i do need to compare mine to someone elses then, I was expecting near standard noise until i put my foot down but am truely disappointed so far :dapprove:

M2 Competition
I didnt like the noise my stealth made. Only really knew when i sold the car and the new owner drove away in it... was embarrassing! Like a chavvy drone.

rps13
no exhaust will give you that mate. they are all boomy at low revs, especially the 2.5 inch systems

B

Bucko

I didnt like the noise my stealth made. Only really knew when i sold the car and the new owner drove away in it... was embarrassing! Like a chavvy drone.

no exhaust will give you that mate. they are all boomy at low revs, especially the 2.5 inch systems

I thought i'd done my research before buying but it seems i failed.

Looks like i'll have to sell it and buy a standard system that will fall off again in 12 months then. Gutted

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
With Cat it should only just be louder than std. With decat it'll be good bit louder.

No sure why shaun said it wold get quieter...Just the opposite!!!

B

Bucko

With Cat it should only just be louder than std. With decat it'll be good bit louder.

No sure why shaun said it wold get quieter...Just the opposite!!!

That's what i was expecting, not much louder than standard. Theres so many threads on here about them so i thought i knew what i was getting.

Shauns explanation was that the muffler materials in the silencers are packaged in plastic bags, he said i need to take my car for a cane using only 2nd and 3rd gears to get the exhaust so hot that it melts the plastic bags and lets the muffler stuff spread out and do it's work. Therefore making it quieter.

I'm apparently the 4th or 5th person to call them and complain that it's too loud but they maintain that nobody has ever called back a 2nd time once given the above information...

PH1 172 Sport
Mine did quieten down after about a thousand miles BUT it is still a little boomy on the motorway. Depends what your after really as it sounds great when giving it some beans.

Clio RS ph1
What bore is a std. exhaust? I`m also thinking about getting a k-tec stealth but I don`t want it to be to loud. The 2.25" stealth is nice aswell but I prefer a stainless system though.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I don't find mine too loud, maybe as I'm still young and this is the first proper fast car I've had and so I like the sound to go with it. I find it gets louder after a long drive or with passengers in the back for some reason :S but its never bothered me, even on the motorway.

:eek: I don't think this sounds chavvy.

[YOUTUBE]7URiUB21WK4[/YOUTUBE]

Could just be my younger mind but to me its not like the neds rolling with 4" twin tubes under their saxos.

320d
type_rdriver took me out in his 172 cup with stealth without the centre box and it was fine normally driving and sounded great when gunning it. I think its your age mate.

Sometimes its nice in my nice quiet little 1.2 cruising along an A road at 50mph in silence but my next car with have a SS exhaust for sure.

Never above 25mpg
My 172 sounded so loud when I was doing 70 today, did make me wonder whether it was a standard exhaust or not but it's fine at 30 limits... Was kind of hoping to get a stealth but maybe it's not needed now!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I've got the Super Sport on my 2001 Phase 1 172 and it can be pretty loud when up the revs but motorway driving isn't really a problem for me tbh,I like it!

Dodgy one
should've got a miltek, you can hardly hear it :D

Takes a while to get it set up in position properly but its worth it

Evo 8 MR
I fitted the cat-back Stealth system to my standard Ph2 172 last thursday and have covered about 350 miles since. This is the first time i have ever fitted an aftermarket exhaust to a car in 9 years of driving.

Am i just getting old or is it supposed to be so loud that it makes your ears ring? It is completely unbearable under all driving conditions right up to about 4.5k rpm when it seems to ease off a bit. The 180 mile motorway drive with my gf was embarrassing today.

I called K-Tec on friday afteroon to voice my concerns straight away but Shaun assured me that things would quieten down once i get it proper hot and clock up a couple hundred miles. This has not been the case over the weekend at all. The words 'Drone' and 'Boom' have been in my head all weekend!

Am i just not suited to a stainless exhaust system or should i call K-Tec again this week?

Bucko

With regards to motorway driving I have noticed if you drive with a light foot ie. get upto speed then let off the accelerator a little, not too much so you slow down but enough to maintain speed, the exhaust noise fades enough as to not be intrusive.

You should try it.

B

Bucko

I've made my decision, it's coming off tomorrow. I love my car and don't want an exhaust to get in the way of that.

Just giving you the heads up, I will be putting it up for sale on here tomorrow afternoon

Thanks for all your comments, it's helped me realise that i'm just too old for sports exhausts lol

B

Bucko

I wish there was someone else local with a stealth fitted so i could compare but i think it would still be too loud. I do about 14k a year so can't really afford to not enjoy it.

Spread the word, discounted hardly used Stealth available ;)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member
I wish there was someone else local with a stealth fitted so i could compare but i think it would still be too loud. I do about 14k a year so can't really afford to not enjoy it.

Spread the word, discounted hardly used Stealth available ;)

Yes mate if you lived a little closer then i'd have taken you out for a spin.

My 172 does around 17-20k a year, most of the which are motorway miles that my GF does and she isn't really into cars, let alone loud exhasuts.

Maybe your one is just very loud, or my one is very quiet?

B

Bucko

Possibly, i should've gone for a custom from Prospeed, maybe i will in a few months when my standard one has fallen completely to bits