ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

K-Tec Stealth - Too Loud?

Ph1
It must be blowing or something? - As the others have said, Ktec stealth isnt even that loud.

Can still hear the radio on the lowest mark !

clio 172 cup
Cruising at 70mph i used to have the stereo on about 10-12 but now i have to have it on about 16 just to hear it.

Anyone want to buy a 2nd hand K-Tec Stealth system? lol
how much is it the super sport one ?

B

Bucko

I'm gonna get under the car tomorrow and check it's fitted 100% correctly, just as one last attempt to keep it but I'm still quite sure I'm going to be selling it at a minimum loss to myself

As I've got all day I may aswell post up some videos too

Focus RS Mk1
I don't find mine too loud, maybe as I'm still young and this is the first proper fast car I've had and so I like the sound to go with it. I find it gets louder after a long drive or with passengers in the back for some reason :S but its never bothered me, even on the motorway.

:eek: I don't think this sounds chavvy.

[youtube]7URiUB21WK4[/youtube]

Could just be my younger mind but to me its not like the neds rolling with 4" twin tubes under their saxos.

thats my car before i owned it :)

172 cup & 182
The 2.5 inch Stealth I have fitted to my 172 cup gives a reading of 86 decibels at trackdays, hardly noisy. But I don't use that car as my daily driver that job goes to my 182 and that has now got a standard system as I found the K-tec system I fitted was to LOUD..

RSTUNER'ED-C&B'ED RS-1
Hi Mate,

There is no way it gets quieter but louder. I have got exactly the same system you got. Now the back box of the stealth system is sitting in my garage for 1 year. I opened up the center silencer and back box both to check out what we got in it. Wait for it, there is none sound insulation material at all. It works in the concept of pure reverberation of the exhaust gas in the pipes. That's why you get drone at certain rpm levels. As of an international customer, think about my case. Paid the full price plus customary expenses worth of nothing. David Kirk from K-tec promised me to send a new quite version once available, I think it is available now. But not heard from them yet.

Here is an idea, open up the center silencer, put some sound insulation material and wrap them around the inner tube of the silencer, this is gonna soothe part of it.

I fitted the cat-back Stealth system to my standard Ph2 172 last thursday and have covered about 350 miles since. This is the first time i have ever fitted an aftermarket exhaust to a car in 9 years of driving.

Am i just getting old or is it supposed to be so loud that it makes your ears ring? It is completely unbearable under all driving conditions right up to about 4.5k rpm when it seems to ease off a bit. The 180 mile motorway drive with my gf was embarrassing today.

I called K-Tec on friday afteroon to voice my concerns straight away but Shaun assured me that things would quieten down once i get it proper hot and clock up a couple hundred miles. This has not been the case over the weekend at all. The words 'Drone' and 'Boom' have been in my head all weekend!

Am i just not suited to a stainless exhaust system or should i call K-Tec again this week?

Bucko

B

Bucko

******NEWSFLASH*******

I used my car again tonight and it wasn't as loud as yesterday! It did stink when i got back last night after my 180 mile drive so maybe Shaun at K-Tec was right.

I think it deserves me to give it more time before i start to **** it off? Next thing to do is remove the acoustic valve i reckon

CLIO Iceberg 172
"Next thing to do is remove the acoustic valve i reckon"

and your moaning about the exhaust being to loud!

you get a lot more engine noise with that removed, so all your doing is increasing noise!

B

Bucko

The acoustic valve doesn't compare to the drone of an exhaust. I've already experimented with removing the cold air intake to the airbox and it just gives the engine a slightly more aggresive note after the 5k point, nothing loud enough for even the likes of me to moan about

CLIO Iceberg 172
be warned removing the CAF from the air box allows huge amounts of hot air from the rad to enter directly into the air box, your going to be better off engine wise and also noise, to just remove the acoustic valve and replace the CAF or even upgrade it, or you will lose any gains (and some) from removing the valve, as you will just suck in 90 deg C+ of hot air and belive me these things hate hot air, the colder the better,

Ph1
be warned removing the CAF from the air box allows huge amounts of hot air from the rad to enter directly into the air box, your going to be better off engine wise and also noise, to just remove the acoustic valve and replace the CAF or even upgrade it, or you will lose any gains (and some) from removing the valve, as you will just suck in 90 deg C+ of hot air and belive me these things hate hot air, the colder the better,

You dont get much heat in a engine bay when the car is in forward motion.

CLIO Iceberg 172
You don't get much heat in a engine bay when the car is in forward motion.

I beg to differ on that, see my thread on air box development
http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=411738&page=5&highlight=cold+air+feed

quoted from that link (my results)

"over the weekend iv been experimenting with various standard air box configurations
so far this is what iv found, using a standard 172 airbox with a KTR panel filter and standard inlet elbow, and an outside air temperature of 15 degrees C and an engine coolant temperature of 86 degrees

no CAF: inlet temperature ranges from 68-78 degrees C, car feels very sluggish in every gear, big lag gap with foot planted,

standard CAF: inlet temperature ranges from 58-64 degrees C, car feels back to normal, pulls nicely but still has a slight gap with foot planted,

at this point i took the plunge and bored a 83mm hole into the original main inlet hole on the airbox, from here i fixed a 80 x 30mm pipe to give my self something to mount onto,
from there i attached a 80mm silver ducting CAF, this was ran down to the original area of the existing CAF but approx 8" lower just past the horn, but not replacing the fog light.
and also removed the plastic cover from the engine as i felt this could potentiality hold a lot of heat in.

uprated CAF: inlet temperature ranges from 38-54 degress C, car feels very responsive, pulls very well in all gears compared to standard CAF, almost eliminated any lag from foot being planted,

so there you have it, with an uprated 80mm CAF and removing the engine cover, iv managed to get the inlet manifold temperatures down by 20 degrees, all temperatures where taken on the fly via the OBD2 port using a laptop to monitor, engine coolant temperature, manifold pressure, engine revs, inlet manifold temperature, and throttle position sensor,
the software was pro scan 5.5 registered version"

i found when the car idled it took in almost 100 degrees c in the inlet air

Ph1
My inlet temp print off during mapping with the car sat on a rolling road was 25 to 27 degree from memory so not sure where youve 50 to 100 degree's figures from :S

Stock IK isnt sat behind the rad anyway. Its offset to the right plus the IK inlet without CAF fitted points over towards the wheel arch.

IK would just about melt with 100 degree's going through it lol

What tempreture does the fan come on at? Sure it'll be before 100 degrees? but seriously, you take your car for a spin, whip up the bonnet and its not mega hot under there. Its idling and sat in heavy traffic that brings on the heat soak

RenaultSport 182
Had ktec sealth fitted recently ,200 mile journey home was quite painfull droaned between 70-90mph . rang Sean next day ,he said it would get quieter, and it has ,only noisey under hard acceleration . was going to go for supersport version ,but were out of stock ,pleased i didnt now ,sounds just right .

B

Bucko

Thanks but i had no intention of just running the car with the pipe pulled out, i just did it for 1 day to get an idea of the noise levels.

I removed the acoustic valve today and it doesnt seem to have done anything noise wise, which is strange, but then again i am still trying to get used to the added exhaust noise so maybe it's just not enough to compete with that.

I have some 76mm CAF piping left over from when i upgraded the IK on my old 1.8T Golf, i will use that to replace the standard CAF when i get more time.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Just as a bit of info on how the systems are packed. We are now using a packing/silencing media that is packed in bags before being put into the silencer boxes. As the system heats up the silencing media expands out of the bags and quietens the exhaust down, this is why it can take a while for the systems to quieten down. The sooner the system is heated right up the quicker they quieten down.

David.

Shed.
I fitted the cat-back Stealth system to my standard Ph2 172 last thursday and have covered about 350 miles since. This is the first time i have ever fitted an aftermarket exhaust to a car in 9 years of driving.

Am i just getting old or is it supposed to be so loud that it makes your ears ring? It is completely unbearable under all driving conditions right up to about 4.5k rpm when it seems to ease off a bit. The 180 mile motorway drive with my gf was embarrassing today.

I called K-Tec on friday afteroon to voice my concerns straight away but Shaun assured me that things would quieten down once i get it proper hot and clock up a couple hundred miles. This has not been the case over the weekend at all. The words 'Drone' and 'Boom' have been in my head all weekend!

Am i just not suited to a stainless exhaust system or should i call K-Tec again this week?

Bucko

Before Rob flipped his car, i used to ride shotgun with him , he had a stealth fitted, and yes, it was awfull on the motorway and in normal driving. I tried to ring my girlfriend on the mway in the car at 70mph and i couldnt hear a thing.

If its any use to you i have some very oor quality videos of it in car, might give you some idea as to how boomy the thing was. 2nd vid is better.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/inspire2k6/?action=view&current=SV_A0009.flv

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/inspire2k6/?action=view&current=SV_A0012.flv

Ph1
Just as a bit of info on how the systems are packed. We are now using a packing/silencing media that is packed in bags before being put into the silencer boxes. As the system heats up the silencing media expands out of the bags and quietens the exhaust down, this is why it can take a while for the systems to quieten down. The sooner the system is heated right up the quicker they quieten down.

David.

Is this now on the 2.5'' stealth too or just the one in the link ?

172 cup
my mate has got a 172 cup with this system on with a decat and its properrrr loud no way wud he get on track with it but does sound cool :)

whats this crap with this acustic valve??? what do they actually do?? (please excuse my bad spelling lol)

Matty

B

Bucko

whats this crap with this acustic valve??? what do they actually do?? (please excuse my bad spelling lol)

Matty

There's hundred of threads on the acoustic valve, after reading through lots of them i'm still unsure if it has any performance benefit but there is a very slight noise increase.

10 minute job

CLIO Iceberg 172
Before Rob flipped his car, i used to ride shotgun with him , he had a stealth fitted, and yes, it was awfull on the motorway and in normal driving. I tried to ring my girlfriend on the mway in the car at 70mph and i couldnt hear a thing.

If its any use to you i have some very oor quality videos of it in car, might give you some idea as to how boomy the thing was. 2nd vid is better.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/inspire2k6/?action=view&current=SV_A0009.flv

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o32/inspire2k6/?action=view&current=SV_A0012.flv

is that with the cat still in? and with just a cat back system with the mid box still attached?

172 cup
There's hundred of threads on the acoustic valve, after reading through lots of them i'm still unsure if it has any performance benefit but there is a very slight noise increase.

10 minute job

ive just looked for some threads in them gay valves but didnt find any :s must just be me think im gunna take mine out like me mate has tbh

Matty

CLIO Iceberg 172

10 minute job

it just means its not choking it of all the air it needs, it works on vac pressure and the more you plant your foot the more it closes to limit the noise by limiting the airflow iirc

Storm Grey 200

Crikey, the G-Force meter is almost of the scale!

DMS

A thirsty 172
I've got the Supersport recessed system, and I think the noise it makes is epic. Yes it's loud, but nobody who's been in the car has complained. It's a bit loud on motorways but I normally don't hear it above the stereo anyway.
The only exhaust I've ever had that has sounded better was the Pugsport on my old 106 GTi.

Fabia vRS

Bucko

I've got exactly the same problem here. My standard Renault exhaust had a lovely note, it was very quiet at motorway cruise speeds, but it recently blew up cos of it's sh*t build quality.

I decided to go for a k-tec stealth with centre silencing thinking it would be a roughly equivalent replacement. When it's cold it sounds brilliant. As soon as it warms up it gets louder. Up to 3K revs it sounds OK. Between 3K and 4K it has the most deafening drone, which is really annoying on motorways, especially when your going up hill. To tell you the truth it's quite embarracing.# :dapprove: . I feel for anyone who's travelling in the car with me, especially my 55 year old father! Above 5K revs its whisper quiet; you can only hear the engine revving it's nuts off.

I spoke to Sean at K-Tec. He assured me that it would get quieter. He recommended that I try get the exhaust real hot so that the heat melts the plastic bags holding the baffles in. I've tried this numerous times with no success. If anything the exhaust has got worse.

I've just received a replacement rear section from K-Tec. So gonna try this one and see if it's quieter. So, i'll keep you posted.

If the problem isn't sorted I'm gonna have to get rid of it. I love my Clio to bits, I'm just not enjoying driving it at the mo :(

Ph 1 172
im glad i didnt get the silenced center with mine i got a ktec stealth supersports ....dont even think its that loud got to 40mph stick it 4th gear or 3rd and its as quiet as it was before. think you have to drive a little differently than normal to make sure it stays quite. and hoping mine dont go quiter either otherwise a nice decat will be coming my way lol

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
hmmmm i want a zorst for the 197. Ketc one looks the part, and in the sales blurb, sounds the part, but i have horrid memories of my stealth..... :(

Bus w**ker
I don't get the complaints people have with the KTR Stealth. I fitted my cat back silenced centre one on Saturday and it was almost silent on the first kick up, gave it a good bit of s**t back home and it got louder, a lot louder, at that point I s**t it as I thought I'd got the wrong system and it would be nowt but a loud exhaust to replace the loud exhaust I'd bought it to get rid of.

Set off from Nottingham to Oldham in the afternoon and loved it. The exhaust had quietened back down to little more than a slight burble on tick over, quiet around town with only a slight hint of it not being OE and even ok on the motorway - no booming, ear ringing or headaches. Give the car a thrash and the system comes to life over 4k, but whilst driving normally it's perfect.

I've only done about 400 miles since fitting it but I'd say the exhaust has settled in now. I'll grab some videos at the weekend if I get chance and post them.