ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

knocking clonking on changing gear and acceleration/decceleration

Ph2 Flamer
Started this morning. No affect on ride or gear selection but can feel and hear a knock. Happens on changing gear 90% of the time just as I lift off the clutch. Also same knock on firm braking and acceleration. Once travelling in a particular gear there is no knocking other than a very occasional knock knock knock sound, but thats only happened a couple of times. I'm thinking a mount has gone perhaps?Suggestions as to how to diagnose would be great as its month end and I've just bought pure motor sport topmounts and strut brace so will ideally fix myself!

Ph2 Flamer
Cheers both. So dumb question but what's the best way to check the lower mount then. Assuming I'm jacking the car up but which side of the engine is the mount on?

Ph2 Flamer
Oh aye and is it ok to drive (gently) or am I in danger of shagging the upper mount or anything else for that matter by drivng it. I only ask because my upper mount was knackered for a few weeks when I first bought the car and I didn't realise what the noise was so drove it for a few weeks before jms spotted it was sheared and replaced it. Could really use the car tomorrow if possible

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
might aswell get em both? gearbox mount doesn't cost much and both arent too bad to fit I think. i'd have thought its dogbone myself but without looking..........

Ph2 Flamer
just been down the garage this morning and they reckon its a wheel bearing. Stacks of play in the drivers front wheel and I just put 25mm hubcentrics on last week so it all ties together: extra stress on the bearing, my bumpy ass drive to work and a 86,000 wheel bearing gives up. Looks like theres some play in the strut too so might get new shockers and get them to fit the sportlines i've had since xmas