ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Knocking when cornering

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
There's a knocking/vibration under hard cornering to the left. Can feel it through the steering. Fine when travelling straight and turning right.

Any suggestions?

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
No, ride height sensible (I think)
gy5ugeja.jpg

Driven it further. Right corners are the problem, can taken more sweeping corners easily.

Clio 182 - RB
Mine was doing something like this the other week and turned out to be a loose bolt on my steering rack, tightened this up and no more knocking.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Check the wishbone bushes. My experience of it is that it's the cv joint bottoming out on compression, whether this is due to it being low or worn bushes.

Silly question, but what's the best way to check the bushes? Just visually? I'm assuming that if I order a new wishbone it's supplied with new bushes?

Did you find out what this was? I've the same problem.. Changed wishbones/ball joints/driveshaft and track rods and trackrod ends and it's still the same!

getting frustrating now.

02 Iceberg 172
Did you find out what this was? I've the same problem.. Changed wishbones/ball joints/driveshaft and track rods and trackrod ends and it's still the same!

getting frustrating now.

Knocking on hard left cornering?

Try loosening off the engine mounts and moving the engine over towards the passenger side before then tightening up the mounts again. If the knocking is because the cv is bottoming out on the drivers side driveshaft then this should give you more room for the driveshaft to operate in - if it stops knocking then that was the problem.

Old engine mounts will allow the engine to move about excessively - on cornering the engine can be thrown sideways which can then cause the cv to bottom out as the room available for the driveshaft to operate in has reduced. Moving the engine over will help with this but new or uprated engine mounts will stop the engine moving about so much...

Knocking on hard left cornering?

Try loosening off the engine mounts and moving the engine over towards the passenger side before then tightening up the mounts again. If the knocking is because the cv is bottoming out on the drivers side driveshaft then this should give you more room for the driveshaft to operate in - if it stops knocking then that was the problem.

Old engine mounts will allow the engine to move about excessively - on cornering the engine can be thrown sideways which can then cause the cv to bottom out as the room available for the driveshaft to operate in has reduced. Moving the engine over will help with this but new or uprated engine mounts will stop the engine moving about so much...
The engine mounts are all new, well about 3 months old now. I'll try re aligning them though.

02 Iceberg 172
The engine mounts are all new, well about 3 months old now. I'll try re aligning them though.

Might just need the engine shifted over a bit then to give a bit more room - easy to do and if that is the problem then should solve it. Let us know how you go.

02 Iceberg 172
Ok just throwing this out there - perhaps the knocking started due to the old mounts being worn, but when the new engine mounts were put in the engine was aligned/moved slightly over to the drivers side which reduced the room for the driveshaft to operate in and thus continued knocking?

If this is the problem then moving the engine back over towards the passenger side should clear it - and if it doesn't then that's one thing you can cross off :)

Ok just throwing this out there - perhaps the knocking started due to the old mounts being worn, but when the new engine mounts were put in the engine was aligned/moved slightly over to the drivers side which reduced the room for the driveshaft to operate in and thus continued knocking?

If this is the problem then moving the engine back over towards the passenger side should clear it - and if it doesn't then that's one thing you can cross off :)
I've re aligned all the engine mounts and it's sorted it. Cheers for the advise people!