ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lack of power, noisy exhaust and engine shaking

Mk5 golf gti
as above on my phase 1 172

i thought the cat had shat itself as it sounded a bit like a scoob

but after a run im thinking could this be the coilpack??

or would people in the know say the cat??

the shakey engine makes me think its misfiring

also no warning lights and fault code reader finding nothing but it is a bit pish

what we thinking??

172/v6
It's one of the coils ... but unfortunately , if you're still driving it , the petrol pouring out of the unfired cylinder will quickly eat your cat ! ... sorry ... so it's probably both !
Just driving home on a damaged coil can destroy a cat!
pull each coil wire off whist the engine is running and when it doesn't drop to 2 cylinders and sound even worse ... that's your boy ! (might be a coil-pack on this engine ?)

If your cat's knackered , it's just a good reason to get a stainless system right to the cylinder head !

Mk5 golf gti
if its one of the coils definatley then wouldnt be much point checking which one as i may as well replace the whole coilpack?
could it not be one of the leads?

its literally just happened, been fine till now but think water has got in somewhere as alot of water was underneath and the electrics played up the other night

172/v6
Yeah , i'd like to bet it's one of the coils ,like I said , not sure if you have to change the whole pack , but disconnecting them would confirm it is the coil before you buy the full pack as I bet it's expensive and being electrical ... non-returnable! (at Renault)
your syptoms are accurate for a failed coil , (the car must be driving like crap though) including the lack of fault codes , all the electrical systems are operating correctly , it's just the end of the coil that has burnt out ... a failing common to these items .... but don't rule out the leads or anything else ... especially electrical and on a renault !
good luck!

Mk5 golf gti
ok mate

the coilpack is only around 30 quid so going to pick one up tomoz then try that

water has been sloshing about somewhere (maybe drainhole under scuttle blocked) ?

and i think thats whats causing all these electrical faults

Clio 1.2 16v
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works and go against everyone else but i had this problem with my car a week or 2 ago. Pulled away from a set of lights and saw a scooby opposite and thought that sounds good, then realised the noise was following me and that the scoob wasnt moving. was about 2 minutes away from home, did it all the way back, tested about an hour later and still did it, went to it the next morning and it was fine, hast done it since so maybe just leave it overnight then check on it?? Cheaper too :) obviously if the problem persists then sort it, im not saying just leave it. sorry, im rambling lol

Mk5 golf gti
Sorry to throw a spanner in the works and go against everyone else but i had this problem with my car a week or 2 ago. Pulled away from a set of lights and saw a scooby opposite and thought that sounds good, then realised the noise was following me and that the scoob wasnt moving. was about 2 minutes away from home, did it all the way back, tested about an hour later and still did it, went to it the next morning and it was fine, hast done it since so maybe just leave it overnight then check on it?? Cheaper too :) obviously if the problem persists then sort it, im not saying just leave it. sorry, im rambling lol

Lol lucky there

maybe you got some damp in the sparkplug ingress
i will try in the mroning, but its not looking great

ITB'd MK1

you have a 1.2 16v, so your loom is fucked. It'll get gradually worse ;)

Dunn, needs plugging in to PROPER diagnostics kit, not a cheap code reader. It could be as simple as a sparkplug, or a lead, but you need to narrow down if it's lacking spark or fuel, and on which cylinder(s)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
3rd cyl spark plug hole has a habit of catching light case of death from time to time. Mine did it (ph1).

How handy are you with the spannerz ?

Mk5 golf gti
you have a 1.2 16v, so your loom is fucked. It'll get gradually worse ;)

Dunn, needs plugging in to PROPER diagnostics kit, not a cheap code reader. It could be as simple as a sparkplug, or a lead, but you need to narrow down if it's lacking spark or fuel, and on which cylinder(s)

i knows this, the code reader is s**t.ill have to manually diagnose it.im thinking coilpack because water has got in the bay somehow
its had new plugs (proper ones) within last month or so

ill come back soon with some better info as im going to go have a look now

3rd cyl spark plug hole has a habit of catching light case of death from time to time. Mine did it (ph1).

How handy are you with the spannerz ?

im very handy with ze spannerz :) its getting stripped in about ten minutes

Mk5 golf gti
well the drain hole was blocked so water has been building up then spilling into the bay

so it must be electrical i suppose, ive dryed out coil pack and leads and plugs look fine but its still fucked

gonna try and pick a coilpack up from somewhere tommorow but everywhere is saying monday so far which isnt possible for me :(

Mk5 golf gti
Yep

all in new condition and the correct plugs, no real sign of damp in the ingress

ive ordered a coilpack for tommorow so will see what happens

172/v6
ok mate

the coilpack is only around 30 quid so going to pick one up tomoz then try that

water has been sloshing about somewhere (maybe drainhole under scuttle blocked) ?

and i think thats whats causing all these electrical faults
God , it's nearer £300 for the coils for the phase 1 v6! robbin bast+*ds! ...
If you've had a lot of moisture , check ALL the connections of all fuses and their holders as they tend to corrode badly in even the slightest excess moisture enviroment (ie. cover missing/pooling water) ... be sure to check inside the holders for "galvanised-type-rust"(grey not orange) causing a bad connection/burn and intermittently working . if so clean/replace .

... still sounds like a coil to me !

but failing this , before you spend any more money ;

I would take it to Renault , they will run a full diagnostic check and tell you everything you need to know. If it's a huge amount just tell them that due to the value of the car you won't go ahead with the work , sorry :evil:
they're professionals,they wont take it personally !

more good luck !

Mk5 golf gti
im determined to fix it on my drive

if i could get it to college i could properley diagnose it, but dont want to drive on 3 cylinders anywhere
see what tommorow brings ay

this new coilpack might sort it :) i hope