ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop Dropped! Help Needed.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Hi guys,

I dropped my laptop yesterday afternoon after switching it off. Not a heavy drop, but obviously enough to cause damage.
I switched it back on later in the evening and the Windows XP splash page was on for around 2 minutes. It then skipped to scandisk and took another 3 or 4 minutes to get to tell me :
Folder \i386 has bad clusters.
Bad clusters removed from folder.
0 percent complete

It then stook on 0% for another 20 minutes. The hard drive was working, but very very slowly, as I could hear it every few seconds.

I decided to just reboot and start over, b****cks to the scandisk.
So I skipped the scan and it went into Windows. However, everything is so slow. Its perhaps 50 - 100 times slower than usual. Infact, I dont think I got a single operation done other than load Windows Explorer, and even then it took f*cking ages. Once again, you can hear the hard drive working away, but its only every 20 seconds or so and the noise stops after about 2 seconds.

I have a lot of information on the hard drive (sound files, movie files, Pro Evo patch files, application installation exe's etc. etc.) which I can see is still in tact as everything seems fine except the dire, dire speed.

Is there anything I can do other tha take it to a computer shop and get them to install a new hard drive and somehow transfer all this data onto the new drive. Is that possible at this awful speed its running at? How would I go about doing that myself? Transfering the files I mean? What sort of cable do I need? Can I fix the hard drive speed myself or is it f*cked?

Cheers, and sorry for the boring write-up.

:dapprove:

2007 MK5 VW Golf TDi
get yourself an external USB2 harddisk and copy everything you want over - then get a new laptop harddisk as it sounds like you've damaged the disk - they are very sensitive to knocks e.t.c. and the heads have probably crashed. Don't think they're very expensive, depends what size you need.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Hmm yeah. Think I've knocked the alignment or something. I'm all for that suggestion, but wont copying everything over take an absolute iceage due to the AWFUL speed its running at?
So I need an external hard drive and a new hard drive too. Ah damn. :(

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
Yep sounds like the drive. I replaced one here that had been dropped about 2 week back. Got a Toshiba 40gb for £30 from dabs.

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner
You could always get a USB caddy for the one thats iffy. Dont cost much, maybe £10-£15, plug this into a pc thats working to get your files off, depends how fooked it is though i guess.

K20 EG Hatch
as said, i would replace your hard drive with a new one and then get a usb caddy for your old one and see what you can recover.
If you have a pc you can get the convertors that convert a standard IDE lead to take a notebook hdd for like £3!!!

Remember from now on, backup your data ;)

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
I agree on the caddy etc, but like I said, wont it be slow as fook? I've tried putting stuff on DVD discs now as I type this on my works machine, and I keep checking the laptop and it hasnt even loaded f*cking Nero yet, and I clicked on it 10 minutes ago!!

T

thecremeegg

If its still under warranty then they'll replace it....my mates IBM has 2 new motherboards and a new HDD anfter hes dropped/bashed it etc, all for free

not much u can do with regards to speed if the drive itself if nackered, other than doing a scan disk to see if it will speed it up but that will probably take a day itself at that speed. Don't know if it will write to a DVD as it's probably too slow to retreive the data to put on the dvd as it writes, could be wrong though.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
You are right, its taking a bollocking long time.

Just got a quote of £80 for 80gig hard drive, and £20 for caddy. Then I can use my recovery discs to load stuff back on, and caddy to transfer the stuff off this hard drive onto the new one. Balls.