ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Laptop recommendations

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
guys need a bit of help if possible.

in 2 months i will be looking at buying a new laptop and im after something good.

i need a couple of months to get some money together

my requirements -

i would like a quad core, but i may not be able to afford a quad core straight off so at least a laptop i can upgrade to a quad core at a later date

lots of ram

also something i can put 2x soild state hard drives in. ive been told you can run 2x together and it makes things very fast.

any suggestions

Better than yours. C*nt.
Oooft. You've got deep pockets then? Easily on the high side of £3k for Quad Core/SSD RAID.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
really!! LOL

all laptop seem to be 2 core not quad.

cant you upgrade most laptops to run on SSD???

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
cos i like the portability of a laptop.

means i ca lay on my bed with my laptop etc...

im struggling to find a quad core laptop can someone point me in the right direction please?

im really not up on computers in general

Better than yours. C*nt.
You can't lie on a bed with a quad core laptop. They have about half hour battery life at best, and weigh the same as a small adult.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
You can't lie on a bed with a quad core laptop. They have about half hour battery life at best, and weigh the same as a small adult.

with a power cable, just beats sitting at a desk with a tower

Insaneness.

What are you planning to do with a laptop which that much juice? Cure cancer? lol

It's HorsePoo too!

GTFO.

english???

Better than yours. C*nt.
www.alienware.co.uk - just specced up the cheapest Quad with SSDs and that was £2600.

www.rockdirect.com - just specced up cheapest Quad with SSDs and that was £3100. Better GPU than the Alienware though.

Both of those are with s**t Quads, not decent speeds. ~2GHz, and only 4GB RAM. The sort of stuff £500 desktops have!

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
www.alienware.co.uk - just specced up the cheapest Quad with SSDs and that was £2600.

www.rockdirect.com - just specced up cheapest Quad with SSDs and that was £3100. Better GPU than the Alienware though.

Both of those are with s**t Quads, not decent speeds. ~2GHz, and only 4GB RAM. The sort of stuff £500 desktops have!

ok but im probably after something like that dell Precision M6400 that i cna upgrade as i go along.

so it has space for 2x hard drivers and can take a quad

so i could buy a basic spec'ed one then add the parts later

Better than yours. C*nt.
with a power cable, just beats sitting at a desk with a tower

Get a big desktop then for ~£1500 that can play every game going at a reasonable rate (not quite best), and get a £500 laptop for going on cam to the MSN sluts. You've still saved money, you have good performance when you want it and you have the ability to take your laptop to bed for cyber when desired.

Better than yours. C*nt.
ok but im probably after something like that dell Precision M6400 that i cna upgrade as i go along.

so it has space for 2x hard drivers and can take a quad

so i could buy a basic spec'ed one then add the parts later

You'll not be able to get the parts - they tend to grow legs after the product cycle. I considered doing that, but watched how the laptop I would have bought, 6 months down the line the upgraded processor was superceded but the laptop didn't take the new one because the Mfr didn't want to change the BIOS to allow it, forcing people to buy a new one.

And if you're against buying one on eBay because you want a warranty, you can kiss that goodbye when you pull the lid to swap the processor.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Get a big desktop then for ~£1500 that can play every game going at a reasonable rate (not quite best), and get a £500 laptop for going on cam to the MSN sluts. You've still saved money, you have good performance when you want it and you have the ability to take your laptop to bed for cyber when desired.

LOL MSN

i like nothing but the best in life and get fed up with slow computers

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
You'll not be able to get the parts - they tend to grow legs after the product cycle. I considered doing that, but watched how the laptop I would have bought, 6 months down the line the upgraded processor was superceded but the laptop didn't take the new one because the Mfr didn't want to change the BIOS to allow it, forcing people to buy a new one.

And if you're against buying one on eBay because you want a warranty, you can kiss that goodbye when you pull the lid to swap the processor.

parts come up on ebay all the time.

just got a 2.0 ghz processor for my dell 1300 laptop on ebay.

Better than yours. C*nt.
But you won't buy a laptop on eBay? And they do come up on the odd occasion, but never the premium stuff - it tends to be snaffled within seconds and it's very difficult to get hold of.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
But you won't buy a laptop on eBay? And they do come up on the odd occasion, but never the premium stuff - it tends to be snaffled within seconds and it's very difficult to get hold of.

im not saying i wont, id just perfer not to.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Of what spec? The Quads? Not particularly - they're still hampered by the fact that they're previous generation technology with a die-shrink and a voltage cut. Usually slows them down too.

So in effect, the 2.4GHz Quad laptop processor = slower than the 2.4GHz Quad LGA775/1366 equivalent.

Better than yours. C*nt.
SSD isn't the holy grail of performance. You're putting whatever throughput the SSD does through a laptop chipset (reduced performance compared to the desktop counterpart) into a laptop processor (again reduced performance) - I'd suggest that whilst SSD will improve things you're still going to be restricted by the chipset and/or processor.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok im guessing you hate laptops which is fine as we all like different things.

but sticking with laptops, i want a very very fast laptop (going by laptop standrds) whats best to go for?

Better than yours. C*nt.
I don't hate laptops, it's just they DO NOT replace desktops in terms of performance. Performance-wise, the Rock 840SLI is the winner, but specced up that's close to £6k.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ohhh thats not cheap is it.

i know they dont replace desktops and im not after desktop performance, i just want a fast laptop in laptop terms

Nissan 350z
Go for the RockDirect laptop. You will get a 3yrs onsite warrenty as standard and with those sorts of high end heat generating components you will need it!

Im on my 2nd RockDirect laptop, great products and forums :)

Better than yours. C*nt.
Processors aren't especially quick and the graphics card is far from good mate!

Graphics aren't bad for a proper notebook, but in terms of 'gaming' laptops then yes it's not going to set the world on fire.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Processors aren't especially quick and the graphics card is far from good mate!

Oh I know that, but seeing as the OP does not even seem to know what he really wants from a laptop, does it matter. We don't even kn ow what he will be using the laptop for. If he is just going to be surfing the web, a bit of word processing and iTunes or some s**t, It's more than adequate.

Graphics aren't bad for a proper notebook, but in terms of 'gaming' laptops then yes it's not going to set the world on fire.

Perhaps I shpuld have rephrased that graphics are very good, damn good for a laptop but won't set the gaming world alight:D