ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

last couple of questions about my engine conversion

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
hi, phoning up matt black in january to order my 1.6 16v conversion kit and just got a couple of last questions about it.

so far im getting 1.6 16v with everything needed, (but using a 1.2 16v gearbox) i also want to get the 2.0 F4R throttle body that fits the engine the kit comes with ecu, UCH etc (everything needed to convert the car)

id like to fit a performance exhaust manifold while the engines out the car to save hastle in the future, only one ive really found is the K-Tec S/S one, is this any good? any others out there?

what needs done exhaust wise, do i just need a downpipe, cat (or decat) from a 1.6 16v and then any performance cat back of my choice? (already got one lined up)

is it worth getting a Pipercross Viper for it (keeping in mind it will be getting remaped soon after going in) or is the pannel filter still the best way to go (keeping in mind i only care about performance, if the viper will give a very slight edge i dont mind paying the big price difference)

What companys out there do cams for this engine and whats the best ones to go for? keeping in mind this is a daily driver too so dont want anything too agressive, but do want a nice power gain. (am i best to go for standalone management with this setup or is the standard ECU ok with cams when mapped?

anything else worth doing while the engines out? (will do the cambelt (Waterpump?), oil change, gearbox oil etc but anything else)

next what else needs done about insurance & documents? do i just fill in the dvla form changing engine capacity and then insure it as a dynamique 1.6 16v? or does it get insured as a 1.2 16v with 1.6 16v conversion?

cheers,
Martin

so far im getting 1.6 16v with everything needed, (but using a 1.2 16v gearbox) i also want to get the 2.0 F4R throttle body that fits the engine the kit comes with ecu, UCH etc (everything needed to convert the car)

id like to fit a performance exhaust manifold while the engines out the car to save hastle in the future, only one ive really found is the K-Tec S/S one, is this any good? any others out there?

what needs done exhaust wise, do i just need a downpipe, cat (or decat) from a 1.6 16v and then any performance cat back of my choice? (already got one lined up)

is it worth getting a Pipercross Viper for it (keeping in mind it will be getting remaped soon after going in) or is the pannel filter still the best way to go (keeping in mind i only care about performance, if the viper will give a very slight edge i dont mind paying the big price difference)

What companys out there do cams for this engine and whats the best ones to go for? keeping in mind this is a daily driver too so dont want anything too agressive, but do want a nice power gain. (am i best to go for standalone management with this setup or is the standard ECU ok with cams when mapped?

anything else worth doing while the engines out? (will do the cambelt (Waterpump?), oil change, gearbox oil etc but anything else)

next what else needs done about insurance & documents? do i just fill in the dvla form changing engine capacity and then insure it as a dynamique 1.6 16v? or does it get insured as a 1.2 16v with 1.6 16v conversion?

Just fill in your V% with the fact its got a new engine size and your away need to enter serial nmbers etc though. Ring insurance see what they say its never going to be a proper 1.6 16V as it never left the factory like that its always going to be a modified car. Some insurance will insure you at the caost the doner car is other charge a % increased based on the inital preium and Hp so 75 to 100 would be 33% increase. Others don't touch it I'd have checked this first if I were you.

Change the cambelt water pump also all new oil and filter. Idealy strip the engine a bit see if theres any leaks change any questionable gasgets and ensure there no leaks.

Water pumps worth doing if your doing cambelt as it part of the system if it leaks later in life you'll have to change the cambelt at he same time anyway. Change the clutch as well plsu get the 1.6 gearbox otherwsie half way though the job you might fine yours is damaged.

Depends on cam spec stock ECU is fine cat cam do a few specs which would need a stand alone unit but if your going down that route I'd change the whole wiring forget the old UCH etc and make it a whole new one. WIth a stand alone system.

Forget the 2.0 throttle body they fail enough as it is I'd hope for you the 1.6 one works as almost all transplant need new throttle bodies for some reason. There better you can do BenR was on about modifiying the lower part of the manifold for a reasonable price.

If it were me doing a conversion like this I'd go use a phase 1 system you'll lose a few bits and its more work but worth it as there less computers (ie the UCH) to fail.

Viper should be worth the difference but head work the engine if you want the best since you'll have the engine out the car for a bit anyway. Plus you'd have the cambelt off to chnage it so only a few hour more work plus a new head gasget.

if you want ams and head work drop Stan* or BenR an email as they I can imgaine can get cat cams at the same as prices if you approach them (or cheaper0 plus might as well give them the money.

A good idea if you want is to use a 172 box since they ave the holes for the 4th mount all you'd have to do is drill holes in the subframe and bolt the mount on.

If your going to have the head work and cams installed then get the bottom end ballenced.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
cheers for all the info edde.

no worries about the 1.2 gearbox it only went on the car last month and had only done 8k miles at the time. (only reason im doing this is to save money since its a new box anyway, plus should make it slightly quicker although ratios arnt that different on them)

ali, no point buying another 1.2, fed up redlining it all the time to make it go, its got no low down torque. need something different, quicker and a better base for tuning.

original plan was to have it fully rebuilt, lightned and ballanced, headwork etc but want to put it in standard (apart from exhaust manifold since its much easyer when engines out) then i can see what i think of the engine, if i dont think its worth tuning then ill leave it as it is, if i like it and fancy spending more money then get it rebuilt and tune the nuts off it, only a couple of people have made these engines quick with turbo conversions, but i still fancy the first (as far as i know) 1.6 16v clio with ITB's and cams

cheers for all the info edde.

no worries about the 1.2 gearbox it only went on the car last month and had only done 8k miles at the time. (only reason im doing this is to save money since its a new box anyway, plus should make it slightly quicker although ratios arnt that different on them)

ali, no point buying another 1.2, fed up redlining it all the time to make it go, its got no low down torque. need something different, quicker and a better base for tuning.

original plan was to have it fully rebuilt, lightned and ballanced, headwork etc but want to put it in standard (apart from exhaust manifold since its much easyer when engines out) then i can see what i think of the engine, if i dont think its worth tuning then ill leave it as it is, if i like it and fancy spending more money then get it rebuilt and tune the nuts off it, only a couple of people have made these engines quick with turbo conversions, but i still fancy the first (as far as i know) 1.6 16v clio with ITB's and cams

S1600 series race cas (including the CLios) have ITB and cams.

Stock 1.2 box is Jc1 which isn't that stonge hence why the 1.6 got the Jc3 box but see how long it lasts.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep i know the Super1600 cars have ITB's and cams but i mean road car that doesnt have a £10,000 engine lol

fred recon'd that the 1.2 box would be fine with a 1.6 and even said he wanted to put one on his 2.0, but not sure. whats your thoughts?

yep i know the Super1600 cars have ITB's and cams but i mean road car that doesnt have a £10,000 engine lol

fred recon'd that the 1.2 box would be fine with a 1.6 and even said he wanted to put one on his 2.0, but not sure. whats your thoughts?

Well I'm like a warently or manurafacturer always that bit more strenght for me so I'd go with the proper one but see how it goes.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
to be honest not that much difference in the boxes performance wise to make it worth while going for 1.2 box if i have to change it 6 months later anyway so will probably get the correct box for it

to be honest not that much difference in the boxes performance wise to make it worth while going for 1.2 box if i have to change it 6 months later anyway so will probably get the correct box for it

Well stick with in in 6 months you'll want more power so engine will be out for that anyway.

The box might last forever.