ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LCD, Plasma or LED?

ITB BG 182
My F&H tv of 5 years old died last night and now I am on the hunt for a new TV.

I am looking to spend £300-£400'ish on just a TV, yet with so many choices on what to get, which is better?

I have been looking at Samsung, Sony, LG and Sharp TV's but dont know what to choose out of the screen types?

3DTV does not interest me.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Samsung LCD. Only issue is they are a tad weird on football, slight jerkiness that a plasma doesn't have.

I'd start by reading reviews of TV's that are within your budget, and go to view the most highly rated, regardless of the technology. LED is a way of lighting an LCD by the way.

I'd try not to get too caught up in the plasma vs. LCD debate. Firstly it's a matter of opinion these days, as LCD has improved greatly. Secondly there are good and bad examples of both. £400 isn't going to buy a range-topping monster, so just buy what looks best and/or what is highly rated at that price. Also don't take any notice of how the picture looks in store, unless it's properly setup in a viewing room.

Audi A3
yeah 3D TV wouldnt bother me either.

ive found with samsungs they tend to be on the quiet side even with the volume up.

Focus ST-3
My F&H tv of 5 years old died last night and now I am on the hunt for a new TV.

I am looking to spend £300-£400'ish on just a TV, yet with so many choices on what to get, which is better?

I have been looking at Samsung, Sony, LG and Sharp TV's but dont know what to choose out of the screen types?

3DTV does not interest me.

what did you get in the end? any good?

Focus ST-3
Both the plasma's are only 720p, and the other 2 are only 50hz, wont be great for sports or gaming.

ITB BG 182
I dont play games on the tv anymore, its literally going to be for watching the odd film, tv programs then possibly stuff via HDMI from the laptop like internet video.

What is recommended then, looking £325 tops.

Last edited:
  Focus ST-3
not sure really, but personally i would be looking to get a non-smart tv in that budget. look to a better spec display rather than the add ons etc.

DB.

BMW 440i
Ive been researching this recently, considering a 46-55" tv for Sport, Gaming and General TV. LED seems to be the only way to go.

Focus ST-3
Ive been researching this recently, considering a 46-55" tv for Sport, Gaming and General TV. LED seems to be the only way to go.

Thats what i thought, but purely for sport and gaming Im being told Plasma is the way to go. Next to zero motion blur compared to most LEDs

DB.

BMW 440i
General TV would always be the primary use for me though, with Sport on weekends and the occasional gaming.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I always said 40 or below Lcd and above Plasma.

Led I don't know enough about but i'm guessing it's superior to both.

Focus ST-3
I always said 40 or below Lcd and above Plasma.

Led I don't know enough about but i'm guessing it's superior to both.

LED still uses LCD screens, just a different method of lighting, either backlit or edge-lit. For motion blur LED is still not up to the same level as plasma, Plasma screens can react something like 1000 times quicker than an LCD. But plasma arnt as crisp for still images.

Gaming and sports work best with plasma, TV with LED/LCD

ITB BG 182
Im not after a SmartTV or even a 3D TV, I just want some thing that is going to last and not cost the earth but I know sod all about tele's.

My last TV cost me £0.00, free with a phone contract but I know the picture quality was cr*p amongst other things.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
John buy a 50" Plasma, it'll look the dogs and you'll never notice the difference between that and any other tv unless you're a real geek/expert.

Focus ST-3
I wouldnt buy a tv nowaday that isnt Full HD to be honest. But depends how fussy you are

Edit- I dont think sky produces any 1080p content anyway, correct me if im wrong, but i think they go up to 720p. Things like playstation etc is where i would want 1080p

ITB BG 182
Budgets are there to be broken, just up it and buy a decent one!
Thats what happened with the car audio, I'll only spend £500 I said, £1500 later an im done.

A TV has to be paid for in one lump sum tho and can you really tell the difference on a 42" 720p to 1080p when all it will mainly be doing is watching tv programs on the free view and very occassionally watching a film or two from the good old block buster and maybe a higher quality.

I do occassionally put my pictures through it after a day of shooting, its better than being on a small 17" laptop screen.

Jap Box
Try your local currys and see if they have a sale on. Went to mine on the off chance and got a 50" LG plasma for £450.

Full 1080i HD, pointless getting the 720 ones these days really with the small price difference.

Mine isnt a smart TV, or 3D etc but as like you I couldnt care about that, LG has a pretty good interface too, plus the USB port can play .avi video formats and has a great menu system for looking through films, images, music and you can fast forward, pause rewind etc using the remote, simplest and best system ive used by far!

Only thing that annoys me is the freeview system is a tad slow at channel changing.

Volume is great too, goes pretty high and hardly a loss of quality. Intelligent sensor also helps for viewing in the dark as it dims the screen accordingly so its less strain on the eyes (Plus lower power consumption if that matters to you)

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
Try your local currys and see if they have a sale on. Went to mine on the off chance and got a 50" LG plasma for £450.

Full 1080i HD, pointless getting the 720 ones these days really with the small price difference.

Mine isnt a smart TV, or 3D etc but as like you I couldnt care about that, LG has a pretty good interface too, plus the USB port can play .avi video formats and has a great menu system for looking through films, images, music and you can fast forward, pause rewind etc using the remote, simplest and best system ive used by far!

Only thing that annoys me is the freeview system is a tad slow at channel changing.

Volume is great too, goes pretty high and hardly a loss of quality. Intelligent sensor also helps for viewing in the dark as it dims the screen accordingly so its less strain on the eyes (Plus lower power consumption if that matters to you)

I hope you mean 1080p

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
. Intelligent sensor also helps for viewing in the dark as it dims the screen accordingly so its less strain on the eyes (Plus lower power consumption if that matters to you)

You'd be better off getting some decent calibration settings from AVforums and using that all the time. You would have better picture quality all the time with no strain and will also lower the power consumption over the standard settings.

Jap Box
I hope you mean 1080p

Haha yeah, took a shot in the dark at that one as im never sure which letter corresponds to what resolution.

You'd be better off getting some decent calibration settings from AVforums and using that all the time. You would have better picture quality all the time with no strain and will also lower the power consumption over the standard settings.

Dont really want much hassle, just hit the eco button on the remote and let it alter the settings for me, when on the PS3 or watching films its always set to off, just freeview I use the sensor for as its mainly just family guy.

ITB BG 182
Well i well an truly blown the budget, ended up with a LED tv that is 1080p Full HD and 100-250hz in the 42" size....

ITB BG 182
Next thing on the menu is TV mounts, I dont want a solid one but one that is able to move. With the TV weighing a meer 9kgs... I should be able to find one for it,

Focus ST-3
You may struggle to find anything cheap and decent being a 40" TV. Most of the adjustable mounts that are sub £50 only fit tv's up to 37". But being a light TV you may get away with it

ITB BG 182
You may struggle to find anything cheap and decent being a 40" TV. Most of the adjustable mounts that are sub £50 only fit tv's up to 37". But being a light TV you may get away with it

I would spend upto £100 on a mount as long as its solid and will fully support the tv with a good wall fixture.