ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

LCD, Plasma or LED?

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Hi guys, hoping I can piggy back on this thread - hope people don't mind...

I'd like a new TV - we've got a decent size living (I.e. TV won't look daft) room & I'd like it to be bigger than our current 40" TV, which will move to the 2nd living room to be my games TV.

Budget is flexible but circa £600 would be good, in the bracket of 42-50". Although I won't be playing games on it, I will leave the PS3 in the living room for occasional gaming/blu rays.

What TV/brand's do you think are better? What does "full HD" mean, our current TV is a Sony 1080p TV & assumed all HD TV's were HD TV's? What kind of herz does it need to be? Is it the higher the number the better?

Thanks guys.

Focus ST-3
Full HD is 1080p, this is what you want to be looking at really. Some TV's will be described as HD ready, this is normally 720p which is a lower res. I wouldnt look at these at all personally.

And yes the higher the Hz the better for minimising motion blur. I think standard is 50/60hz, but again, I would be looking for at least 100hz. If you go plasma it works a bit different, the technology isnt the same, but they will quote figures like 600hz to give you a comparison. Plasma displays can react something like 1000 times quicker than an LCD (Or LED) display. But they arnt meant to be as good for still images and normal TV use. They are more geared towards gaming and sport (high movement stuff)

Brands I would look at are Samsung, LG, and panasonic.

I can give you all that info, but it may not help. I am still sturggling to find what im after within my budget. I am going to wait until the jan sales and hope i can find what im after then.

ITB BG 182
As already said, full HD 1080p or dont bother.

After getting a salesman to put a 42" plasma and led tv next to each other, the quality are two different levels.
On the plasma all the lettering and numbers look a little hazy where as on the led tv i got, everything is crisp clear.

On the hz thing too, it was demonstrated to me why there is such a difference, a simple football game on the 50hz, you could see it giving a ghosting effect across the screen before it caught up but the 100hz, it was pin sharp.

IF you can save another £150 then go for some thing like this at £750
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-47lm620t-full-hd-47-led-3d-tv-12424955-pdt.html

Can be found cheaper else where tho....

Focus ST-3
As already said, full HD 1080p or dont bother.

After getting a salesman to put a 42" plasma and led tv next to each other, the quality are two different levels.
On the plasma all the lettering and numbers look a little hazy where as on the led tv i got, everything is crisp clear.

On the hz thing too, it was demonstrated to me why there is such a difference, a simple football game on the 50hz, you could see it giving a ghosting effect across the screen before it caught up but the 100hz, it was pin sharp.

IF you can save another £150 then go for some thing like this at £750
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/lg-47lm620t-full-hd-47-led-3d-tv-12424955-pdt.html

Can be found cheaper else where tho....

Exactly. You put it in terms a bit easier to read!

But in regard to the Plasma and LEd side by side, if you were to play a ps3 game on it then the plasma would look a lot better. Still images and normal tv will look crisper and clearer on LCD/LED, lots of motion will be better on plasma.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys, upping the budget for the right TV is fine.

So, LED and 100HZ is perhaps the way to go.

Not sure what I've got currently, I know it's LED and 1080p (Sony) & I've had no real problems with it.

Why is LG a preferred brand?

On another note - where are people getting their TV stands? I saw a really nice one in a show home I recently went into. It was a TV unit with sliding doors which were frosted glass so you could hide all the wires and not see the sky box etc. (Haven't explained very well)

107 Track Car & C4
I bought a Samsung 40" LED TV from Curry's about a month back, was £388. Really like it, would definetly recommend it.

Focus ST-3
Why is LG a preferred brand?

I have an LG at the moment in the lounge, its a 100hz 1080p LCD and is perfect. good interface and allows divx files to be played from USB (something most brands do not do).

From experience and friends, panasonic are the way to go for plasma, and LG/Samsung for LCD/LED.

ITB BG 182
An the other thing with Samsung at the moment, they have thelowest 'A' rating on power consumption at 75kwh per year, compared to the panasonic 42" Plasma at 263kwh per year but a 46".

An i only picked a link to an LG tv as an example, I have Samsung myself at the mo.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I don't like the way commands on a Samsung appear to take an age. Like choosing a channel or looking at the guide etc. just feels cumbersome. My argument is somewhat default as I do watch tv through sky box - but, I still find it frustrating and on that alone I wouldn't get one.

Anyone know what I mean?

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
I have an LG at the moment in the lounge, its a 100hz 1080p LCD and is perfect. good interface and allows divx files to be played from USB (something most brands do not do).

From experience and friends, panasonic are the way to go for plasma, and LG/Samsung for LCD/LED.

LG is the way forward if you prefer passive 3D compared to the active 3D of the samsungs.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I've had a variety of tvs over the past few years, for me, plasma is definately king. No noticable input lag for gaming, and the black levels simply cannot be matched by lcd. They do require a bit more tweaking though, and the image retention can be a problem.

Not sure why anyone would buy a 720p tv these days though.

Focus ST-3

I personally wouldnt buy a toshiba, and the panasonic and LG you linked are similar spec so I would probs pick the LG. It looks a lot nicer and also has USB record feature if you dont have sky+.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I thought plasma had the ghosting.

I've read a few articles and some say LED is best, some plasma. Neither LCD.

I've got a 40" sony TV now a bravia or something which I'm quite fond of.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I thought plasma had the ghosting.

I've got a 40" sony TV now a bravia or something which I'm quite fond of.

Plasma is best.

Get the ST.

Focus ST-3

LED tv's use LCD displays, its just a different method of lighting.

Plasma is best.

Debatable. I would only get a plasma for my gaming TV. I wouldnt buy one for my main use TV. All depends on the useage you have for it. for instance, a plasma would be bottom of the list if it was going to display still images such as desktop clone/extension.

Honda & VW
LED is best.

correct lol

Plasma's don't tend to last as long so if buying one you have the added expense of warranty.
also friends who have plasma regret buying them over LED due to the 'screen burn', however picture quality for movement is pretty amazing.

i recently got a 40" Samsung 3D LED smart TV, love it. Best bet is to always get the best picture quality for your money over size, I could have got a 46" but with lower HZ and non 3D.
Dont forget the bigger you go the more you notice if the picture quality isn't quite good enough

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
DO not base your judgement on viewing in a shop as images are boosted & dynamic.

Plasma is still king.

Viewing angles are awesome, blacks unmatched etc etc.

Focus ST-3
Plasma is still king.

Viewing angles are awesome, blacks unmatched etc etc.

Still power sucking units, still chunky, still heavy, still not as crisp on heavy detail images, but yes I you can watch it from 170 degress!! woo!!!!

Viewing angles is pretty irrelevant IMO. Who wants to watch a tv side on??

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
correct lol

Plasma's don't tend to last as long so if buying one you have the added expense of warranty.
also friends who have plasma regret buying them over LED due to the 'screen burn', however picture quality for movement is pretty amazing.

i recently got a 40" Samsung 3D LED smart TV, love it. Best bet is to always get the best picture quality for your money over size, I could have got a 46" but with lower HZ and non 3D.
Dont forget the bigger you go the more you notice if the picture quality isn't quite good enough

Plasma's produce better PQ than LEDs, period.

This is not up for debate.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Still power sucking units, still chunky, still heavy, still not as crisp on heavy detail images, but yes I you can watch it from 170 degress!! woo!!!!

Viewing angles is pretty irrelevant IMO. Who wants to watch a tv side on??

Clunky, are you serious lol?

DA658696-39DB-4D58-89D5-15FD0630641B-409-00000087039F3346.gif

Focus ST-3
Plasma's produce better PQ than LEDs, period.

This is not up for debate.

Do they though? Plamsa always used to have better blacks and less motion blur, but if you look at a top spec, back-lit LED then they can actually out class most plasmas in terms of blacks and the higher hz figures of today make motion blur less of an issue too, unless going real budget.

Honda & VW
You got to always ask yourself, why are big Plasmas so much cheaper than the LED equivelant

They aren't, unless you consider 2k for a 50" cheap?

yes they are, a friend recently bought a 53" Plasma for £350, tell me where you can go buy a similar size LED for that money, or even an LCD?

for whatever budget you can always get more (bigger) if you go Plasma, FACT!!!

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
yes they are, a friend recently bought a 53" Plasma for £350, tell me where you can go buy a similar size LED for that money, or even an LCD?

for whatever budget you can always get more (bigger) if you go Plasma, FACT!!!

LOL just because there are cheap/s**t plasma's out there it automatically makes the technology s**t?

I spent an age researching both earlier this year, anyone with any knowledge will agree that Plasma is best tech for PQ currently.

Plasma does have its issues though.

Focus ST-3
anyone with any knowledge will agree that Plasma is best tech for PQ currently.

LOL!! what are you basing this on?? Other than the fact you probably just spunked a s**t load of money on a plasma and trying to justify the fact you have...

Honda & VW
LOL just because there are cheap/s**t plasma's out there it automatically makes the technology s**t?

I spent an age researching both earlier this year, anyone with any knowledge will agree that Plasma is best tech for PQ currently.

Plasma does have its issues though.

can you please show me where I said that?

my point was, plasma's tend to be cheaper like for like with that of an LED, do you disagree?

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
can you please show me where I said that?

my point was, plasma's tend to be cheaper like for like with that of an LED, do you disagree?

Yes and what's your point? I can only presume you said it in an attempt to indirectly suggest that plasma tech is rubbish because some sets are cheap.

Changes to often
Lol used to get asked this question all the time when I worked for best buy.

Plasma is great for sports but get hot and use a lot of power.

Led gives a great picture, there totaly flat, and energy efficient

Lcd is abit of both, kinda in the middle, but not as expensive, good if you play alot of xbox on it

Honda & VW
Yes and what's your point? I can only presume you said it in an attempt to indirectly suggest that plasma tech is rubbish because some sets are cheap.

Sorry have you found where I said it 'directly'? Overly touchy about any bad words said towards Plasmas, seriously how much money did you waste?

its not a case of 'some' sets are cheap, bar 2 or 3 models the majority of the plasma TV's on sale are cheaper than the LED equivalent, or have you never been to the likes of Currys?

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member
Yes i am serious....

samsungc9000-b.jpg

But when it's sat on the stand like that pic it makes zero difference if it's 10mm thick or 2 inches...

As for power sucking, you do realise on average viewing they work out at about £30-40 a year more than led. Not worth making a buying decision on!

Last edited:

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
I think you've hit the nail on the head GBH

You obviously didn't read the above review did you?

I'm not saying that Plasma will always be king (its actually dying out because LED is catching up so fast).

At the time I bought my VT it WAS the best on the market around the 2.5k price bracket (whether it still is is debatable).