ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lighting

Skoda Fabia VRS
What are people doing in regards to poor lighting for shots? I'd love to get a few night shots done, but obviously I'd need some sort of contraption to give off enough light. Even in overcast conditions sometimes my photo's come out as if they've been taken on an iPhone, the noise is horrendous.

Skoda Fabia VRS
Failed to mention for shooting cars, flol! But that does apply above, as I can't shoot actual night style shots for the life of me either. But I was thinking what lighting equipment people have used/owned?

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Failed to mention for shooting cars, flol! But that does apply above, as I can't shoot actual night style shots for the life of me either. But I was thinking what lighting equipment people have used/owned?

Depends entirely on the situation !

Are you indoors, outdoors, how much light is there.. What are you trying to achieve ?

Longer exposure and manually set the ISO to 400 Max.

What camera ?

Post some examples of your fails ?

Skoda Fabia VRS
Outdoors, countryside so no street lighting (or scarce). Nothing fancy, just literally a good quality shot in the dark really.
Canon 750D standard 18-55mm kit lens. I haven't saved any, because they came out very very poor. But I'm still not really up to spec with exposure and ISO settings.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Outdoors, countryside so no street lighting (or scarce). Nothing fancy, just literally a good quality shot in the dark really.
Canon 750D standard 18-55mm kit lens. I haven't saved any, because they came out very very poor. But I'm still not really up to spec with exposure and ISO settings.
Read the stickies...

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
If you're referring to the lens, I am aware of the issues..

The sticky threads on here.

ISO, exposure, depth of field, aperture.. You will need a basic grasp of these..

I don't mean to be short with you but the same things are asked over and over.

Take some pics.. Post them up and we can suggest things to do/not do.

My first pics were awful ! Practice practice practice... :cool:

Skoda Fabia VRS
The sticky threads on here.

ISO, exposure, depth of field, aperture.. You will need a basic grasp of these..

I don't mean to be short with you but the same things are asked over and over.

Take some pics.. Post them up and we can suggest things to do/not do.

My first pics were awful ! Practice practice practice... :cool:
Believe it or not I have actually read some of the stickies! :p
I need to get to grips with the above settings/features, I usually just point and click and then turn out pretty decent in my eyes.
Obviously though yes, the best way is to get out there, take some shots and ask for tips!

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Yup, as TEG says, read the stickies and practice. (And about this section falling on its arse which is a shame!)

Make sure you are setup on a tripod where you want the shot and try every possible combination. Shoot in RAW too. Makes editing so much easier.

So if there is no/very little street lighting:
Try: In Manual - F8 - 10 seconds. ISO 100. If its too dark, up the ISO to 200/300 etc. Then try F8, 15/20/30 seconds etc with ISO 100.
Try lighting the car with torch. Your phone will do a job too if you want it too.
Your camera will be fine shooting up to ISO 2000 before you start seeing too much noise too but the lower the better.

It's all trial and error though and will change when you go to different spots.

Go out. Take shots. Post shots. Repeat.