ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lights dimming.....

Renault Clio 1.2 dynamiq
Hi, ive just installed my soundsystem, but obviously have the typical issue of lights dimming etc.

im planning to upgrade my "big three", but wanted some advice first as ive never attempted it...

What size wire should i use? How would externally fuse the cable? (if it needs to be externally fused that is)

and also any other things i should know, its my first attempt...

Thanks..

?
Bump. Would also like to know. My lights dim sometimes when i got sub/headunit very loud! its not really noticeable but i have a thing for small details!

vaux cavalier
I assume you actually wish to upgrade one of the 'big three'....

The 'Big Three'....
1, Battery
2, Alternator
3, Charge circuit wiring, (commonly known as 'TB3')

The Charge Circuit wiring consists of;

1, ADDED Battery Earth---This should at least match your new power cable, if your new supply is 0awg, then the new earth needs to be 0awg....

2, Alternator to Battery charge lead---Upgrading this without upgrading the Alternator will yield very little improvement with regards charging or supplying....You can however ADD a run of 4awg to reduce resistance....

3, Bigger Battery---Either a Diesel variant for your car or a much larger deep cycle battery will greatly improve overall performance of your audio setup....

Renault Clio 1.2 dynamiq
Ok ive now added:-

1. 4awg wire from battery earth to chassis

2. 4awg wire from alternator to battery positive

3. 4awg wire from gearbox bolt (the bolt which attaches the gearbox to the engine)

from changing the three cables above i now have a higher voltage reading, however lights are still dimming when bass is high.

My battery is a small one thought, with probably very little capacity.

What battery do you recommend for me to get? or what specs shall i look for....

im running an 1800w kenwood 9104d 900w RMS@2Ohm amp with a
pioneer 3000w sub 1000w RMS@2ohm

Get a Bosch Silver top, 110ah i think. Or something around that, might have to fiddle with the bay to get it in. Should solve your problems a bit.

Renault Clio 1.2 dynamiq
Would there be any problems with my alternator charging such a large battery? Also, wheres the best place to look in terms of a bargain?

vaux cavalier
What size power cable are you using???

What amplifiers are you using??? (just the Kenwood ???)...

Using a multi-meter;

Voltage across Batt terminals, (engine OFF) = ???Vs
Voltage across Batt terminals, (engine ticking over) = ???Vs

Music playing at low volume, (engine running)...

Voltage across Batt terminals = ???Vs
Voltage across Amplifier terminals = ???Vs

Music playing at high volume, (engine running)...

Voltage across Batt terminals = ???Vs
Voltage across Amplifier terminals = ???Vs

Amplifier earth location in the boot???