ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Lots of newish parts but still knocking

Clio 172 Cup
Such a common problem on these cars but I just can't rid of mine.
The noise started with my ktec solid top mounts and I thought they had been damaged on potholes so they have been swapped out for standard top mounts with the washer spacer (just in case)

So it's the usual pulling away makes a creaking noise, turning full lock slowly makes the knocking banging noise with occasional spring creaking noise.
The top mounts are on very tight, around 6 threads high too (not sure if this is right)
Cv joints are not broken, lower gearbox mount is about 2 years old, new wishbones less than 2 years old. New track rods, brand new struts,

My only conclusion is it could be the springs but they look to be in good shape (unbranded from when I bought car) but I can't determine this noise. Even a garage suspected top mounts hence why they got swapped out to new standards.

I don't want to be spending excessive money on a whole coilover kit or so as money was wasted on the ktec mounts (they went so easily on the Wiltshire roads)

There was also a grind noise when turning left at speed, like a wheel rubbing noise but the wheel is perfectly fine no marks..

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Wheel bearings? Might be the grinding noise when turning left. I had a hub nut come undone on a rally and that caused a monumental banging under cornering. Ball joints and control rod ball joints are ok I presume?

Clio 172 Cup
Top engine mount has been renewed, it's a vibratech one been moved it's not the engine knocking. (It's got a washer in the belt cover piece too).

It's the creaking when turning, likely to be topmounts, but running out of ideas..
Can springs be potentially a reason for noise? It does make a large bang crash noise on pot holes.

Unsure about bearing, the weird grind didnt happen this evening. Left side are new but front right isnt i dont think

182 ff
I had knocking on mine,(over speed bumps) after I had new springs/dampers,and top mounts fitted.. it was the spring not seated properly..my top mounts are about 4 treads..