ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

loud creaking on full lock

RENAULT CLIO SPORT 182
my car has developed a very loud creaking noise when i use full lock just wondering has anyone had this happen? and whats the problem it seems too be coming from the front wheel area?

clio 182 cup
I HAVE THIS ASWELL I HAVE BEEN TOLD IT MAY BE THE RUBBER MISSING OF THE TOP OF THE SUSPENSION SPRING AND THAT THE SPRING TWISTS BACK AND MAKES THE KNOCKING NOISE. I WAS TOLD IF I PUT A BIT OF OLD COOLANT HOSE ON THE END OF THE SPRING IT WILL STOP.

BTW SORRY FOR THE CAPS LOCK ONLY JUST REALISED

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
Probly front outer anti roll bar bushes mate take em off and grease em or fit new ones only bout 12 quid pair :)

Clio 182 , AX VTS
I have this problem, it was doing it when I first bought my 182 and it creaked when I locked either way, I changed the wheels to turinis and it now only creaks when I lock to the left, did anyone find a definite answer on what it is? by the way the tyres on the original wheels were 10mm wider than the current ones, not sure if that would make any difference

Clio 182 , AX VTS
do you mean because of the play in the mounts or the washer fix? I was just confused as to why it now only does it on one side

i think they're all related to the same problem - even with new mounts and the washer 'fix' on mine, it'll still creak

have you done either to yours?

haven't tried solid mounts; i decided against it as i didn't want to risk making the front end any livelier than it already is on mine.

don't know if they cure the creaking; might be best to have a hunt about on search to check for opinions

vers le haut doigt milieu
Could be this.

The steering gear is either connected directly to the lower shock absorber housing, or to an arm from the front or back of the spindle (in this case). When you steer, it physically twists the strut and shock absorber housing (and consequently the spring) to turn the wheel. Simple. The spring is seated in a special plate at the top of the assembly which allows this twisting to take place. If the spring or this plate are worn, you'll get a loud 'clonk' on full lock as the spring frees up and jumps into place. This is sometimes confused for CV joint knock.

http://www.carbibles.com/suspension_bible.html