ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

lower gearbox mount fubar'd or not?

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
P16-06-09_1510.jpg

it's not cracked or torn that you can see, so guess it's OK. only other thing you could check is in making sure that the rubber's still properly bonded to the metal ends, but you'd probably have to take it off to do that

172 cup
that mount looks sound dude just check and make sure its tightend up properly its a 16mm socket u need to tighten it up i think lol

Matty

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
oh weird, iv just been playing with mine in the garden,

Under there theres a sort ov mounts connected to it, have you checked to see if the bolt is tighend enough?

oh weird, iv just been playing with mine in the garden,

Under there theres a sort ov mounts connected to it, have you checked to see if the bolt is tighend enough?

I've heard you have to take passenger side wheel off is that right?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
not sure,

as you can see in this pic, there's a hole for 1 bolt to go through, might need to check that?

SNC00083.jpg

there's a nut on the other end of that bolt that you need to keep tight - it's easiest to take the mount off and tighten the bolt into it (there are flats on the bolt). you need to take the wheel off to get a spanner onto the nut from the wheelarch - there's not really room to be turning the spanner, hence easier to tighten the bolt into it

looks as though there's quite a lot of movement in the rubber itself though - could check it hasn't seperated when you take the mount off, or just go straight for a new mount (it looks tired anyway)

not sure,

as you can see in this pic, there's a hole for 1 bolt to go through, might need to check that?

SNC00083.jpg

Lol

Have you taken the whole lot out? :O

i might have to do this, someone said the fly wheel might be damaged or summat too. :S

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Ye ;)

nah mate, im doin a conversion so i have the parts luying around in the shed at the moment, but i was lookin for the bolts for the mount, and noticed a crack :( so need a Part Number..

there's a nut on the other end of that bolt that you need to keep tight - it's easiest to take the mount off and tighten the bolt into it (there are flats on the bolt). you need to take the wheel off to get a spanner onto the nut from the wheelarch - there's not really room to be turning the spanner, hence easier to tighten the bolt into it

looks as though there's quite a lot of movement in the rubber itself though - could check it hasn't seperated when you take the mount off, or just go straight for a new mount (it looks tired anyway)

I was thinking of replacing all the mounts except the top engine one and the dogbone as there's hardly anythin wrong with them.

So if i was to take the mount off, would i unscrew the 3 top nuts? and then the nut in the wheel arch?

I need to support the gearbox, would it be ok to use an axel stand?

Ye ;)

nah mate, im doin a conversion so i have the parts luying around in the shed at the moment, but i was lookin for the bolts for the mount, and noticed a crack :( so need a Part Number..

What would cause gearstick wobble?

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
Not sure tbh, i kno 99.9% clio's do it, could be when you put your foot down then the engine rocks making the linkage move backwards causing the geaarstick to wobble, im no mechanic, but sounds like that,

probably best to use a trolley jack under the box, so that you can lower/raise it if it needs encouragement to get the mount off

take the centre nut off first (might need to 'shock' it free with sharp turns on ratchet/t-bar as the rubber mount will want to twist with it); then remove the two bolts at the side - the nuts are uppermost and the bolts come out from underneath (they're not captive, so need to be careful not to lose them); then need to pull the mount off (re. comment about jack)

you'll be able to see the flats on the bolt then - you don't need to remove the bolt to get the mount off - just tighten it into the lower nut once the flats are exposed

probably best to use a trolley jack under the box, so that you can lower/raise it if it needs encouragement to get the mount off

take the centre nut off first (might need to 'shock' it free with sharp turns on ratchet/t-bar as the rubber mount will want to twist with it); then remove the two bolts at the side - the nuts are uppermost and the bolts come out from underneath (they're not captive, so need to be careful not to lose them); then need to pull the mount off (re. comment about jack)

you'll be able to see the flats on the bolt then - you don't need to remove the bolt to get the mount off - just tighten it into the lower nut once the flats are exposed

Would this mount also be causing my gearstick to wobble when it's in gear?

apoligies for lots of questions. :eek:

more than likely; there looks to be quite a bit of movement in it as well

it seems to be the dogbone that gives the most trouble.

you've got buffers on the top engine mount, so they'll do part of the job in reducing the movement in that mount

more than likely; there looks to be quite a bit of movement in it as well

it seems to be the dogbone that gives the most trouble.

you've got buffers on the top engine mount, so they'll do part of the job in reducing the movement in that mount

This will be no doubt the reason my car wont go into gear properly then. lol