ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Macbook Sound to Surround Sound

57 Clio Campus Sport
Trying to connect my Macbook to my Sony Surround sound and just wondering what I need to buy to do it. Here are the specs of Macbook and Surround sound inputs/outputs so could someone tell me best way?

MACBOOK

Headphone/optical digital audio out port

Connect external speakers, headphones, or optical digital audio equipment. The headphone / line output jack accommodates optical digital audio output, analog audio output with a 24-bit, 44.1-192 kHz D/A converter, digital audio output up to 24-bit stereo and 44.1-192 kHz sampling rate and supporting encoded digital audio output (AC3 and DTS). For analog headphone / line output a standard audio cable with 3.5mm metal plug should be used. For digital audio, a standard toslink cable with a toslink mini-plug adapter can be used.

SURROUND SOUND

Inputs and Outputs
AC Outlet : 1
Antenna Terminal (AM Loop) : 1 (Rear)
Antenna Terminal (FM 75 Ohm) : 1 (Rear)
Coaxial Audio Digital Input(s) : 1 (Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Input(s) : 3 (Rear)
Component Video (Y/Pb/Pr) Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
Composite Video Input(s) : 4 (1 Front/3 Rear)
Composite Video Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
Digital Media Port : Yes
HD Component Video Input(s) : 3 (Rear)
HD Component Video Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
HDMI™ Connection Input(s) : 4 (Rear)
HDMI™ Connection Output(s) : 1 (Rear)
Headphone Output(s) : 1 (Front- Silver)
Optical Audio Input(s) : 2 (Rear)
RCA Audio Input(s) : 7 (3 Dedicated/4 Audio/Video)
RCA Audio Output(s) : 2 (1 A/V Output, 1 Output)
Subwoofer Output(s) : 1 (Rear)

I think I need to get a toslink cable to plug into mac, will this plug straight in or will I need adapter and is toslink the same as Optical Audio Input that is found on my surround sound? And is this even the best option?

57 Clio Campus Sport
So do i need to get a toslink cable, and a mini toslink adapter to put on the end that goes into macbook and then the other end should go into optical in on surround sound fine? And this will give me full surround sound?