ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mars 034 goes for open heart surgery.

An orange one
Some pics of my car currently undergoing it's second cambelt service. Thoroughly impressed with Benfield Renault Carlisle.
4B1FAFE5-2861-4149-9238-B25C63801C6D_zpsngyudo1d.gif

F6DA5D3E-EF78-4A74-8924-7E42AC16D099_zps2rcuq5xo.gif

EB919E43-7AAA-4D7A-B7F6-7A58A26B22CE_zpsvdsyqcvy.gif

2CDCA959-F2D8-4BA2-BEB7-5A4406FBC172_zpsfmpomtfw.gif

4D6CF520-0605-4BBF-8DA6-2112C0553732_zps23vfdvwa.gif

90AB6D69-9CF0-41B3-BBC1-373B38B8164C_zpsmv4ak54w.gif

5B9E282D-B3FD-4BE2-8232-9C730FC229C3_zpsomsd4jin.gif

Getting all belts done, water pump, new crank pulley and a full service. £1400 including vat. Next up is new discs, pads and braided hoses all round. This should see it mechanically perfect. :)

An orange one
I'm still debating weather or not to just whack a new clutch in at the same time. It feels absolutely fine as it should at just 26k miles, but it's over 11 years old now. My wallet is currently stretched far enough though.. Without spending another £300+ I know I will kick myself if it fails in a year or 2.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Is it really £300 for clutch parts? Surely labour when it's already dropped out like that is next to nothing?

Regardless, getting it done would be a no brainer to me!

Looks much better with non-italic plates by the way :smiley:

An orange one
They quoted £280 for clutch, slave cylinder and some seals etc.

Don't think labour would be too much... Might make sense!

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Labour will be naff all as its already in bit's.
For £280 it's not worth messing about, get it done.
Be nothing worse then getting it all back together and in a few months the slave fails.

Chris V6 255

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 255, 182 Trophy
I'll be getting my clutch etc done when mine goes in at the end of the year. Car has done a few more miles though 41k iirc

An orange one
It's done 9k in total on this Cambelt, and since I've had it 4k in 4 years, so I'm thinking that in the next time it's due a belt it'll be sitting with just over 32-33k miles. Surely the clutch will be fine...

Mini GP2
Beautiful V6; you bought it just before the boat set sale on the values...

Quite an impressive sight to see the engine out, feel the pain for your wallet though :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I'd do the clutch tbh. Oh and the slave just as importantly.
I'd be in there painting them rust drive shafts too!

An orange one
Its in good hands with Paul at Benfield. Hes a top bloke!

Did you trailer it there? :wink:

Is that who's working on it? Take it you know him then. I've not spoken to the mechanic directly but Dave Sanders who is actually in parts but dealing with me through the service dept is brilliant!
Ha no I've taxed it specially for one month.. Soon as it's back home it's SORN again though!

Turbo 182 Alfa 159
Is that who's working on it? Take it you know him then. I've not spoken to the mechanic directly but Dave Sanders who is actually in parts but dealing with me through the service dept is brilliant!
Ha no I've taxed it specially for one month.. Soon as it's back home it's SORN again though!

Yeah it will be he, he is head mechanic/workshop manager. I'll give him a text see if he is.

Yeah good friends with him and his brother, Paul done my clio 182 while i was away. He done cambelt, dephaser, aux belt, waterpump, arp rod bolts, coolant hoses etc.

An orange one
Get the spark plugs done too (forgot to say that yesterday)

I was planning to just get those and fit myself... Must be an easy job surely.
Engine is back in now, there was a hold up with the crank pulley which was on back order. Picking up later on this afternoon :)

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Good stuff Colin, feels good getting it all done but an eye watering amount. I had mine done at Rentec, 2 days work for them and basically everything was done but I also left the clutch perhaps regret this going by the above but I'm on 24k and it still feels perfect. I have similar pictures somewhere

I was planning to just get those and fit myself... Must be an easy job surely.
Engine is back in now, there was a hold up with the crank pulley which was on back order. Picking up later on this afternoon :smile:
Fair play, umm probably not easy no mate. Even doing the coil packs is a PITA!

Good stuff Colin, feels good getting it all done but an eye watering amount. I had mine done at Rentec, 2 days work for them and basically everything was done but I also left the clutch perhaps regret this going by the above but I'm on 24k and it still feels perfect. I have similar pictures somewhere
Wow, that's low man! 52k here, drive it like I stole it ;)

An orange one
So this is what condition a 6 year old, 9000 mile belt is in... I don't think it was going to snap anytime soon.
28B4068B-9C5D-4B19-87B9-1748D1BE6375_zpsfzfk2hlr.gif

Various other bits and bobs...
D5959979-83CE-4683-BBD3-9CFD1B0B1527_zpsy1wpl8cy.gif

All home again! :)
BA5C0706-2D24-4A0A-91C3-4C4BD8608807_zps2hjcoet3.gif

Cars home... Running like a dream, my exhaust is definately louder for some reason.. But it sounds epic so maybe was never fitted right for the last couple of years.
Again top marks for Renault carlisle... Car had only done 1 mile as well and was parked over 2 spaced when I collected it. Superb! :)