ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megaupload Shut Down

Federal prosecutors in Virginia say they have shut down one of the world’s largest Internet file-sharing sites,http://megaupload.com/ Megaupload.com, and charged its founder and others with violating piracy laws.

An indictment accuses the company of costing copyright holders more than $500 million in lost revenue from pirated films and other content. The indictment was unsealed Thursday, one day after Web sites shut down in protest of two Congressional proposals intended to thwart the online piracy of copyrighted movies and TV programs.

Megaupload has claimed it is diligent in responding to complaints about pirated material.

The indictment says that at one point, Megaupload was the 13th most popular Web site in the world.

Wow, thing's just got serious!

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Just being selfish imo. A film is made to be seen. Film makers / actors make enough for what they do. 500m dollars isn't going to touch them!

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
IF plugin for XBMC in now pointless, everything was hosted on Megaupload. I have been buggering around for the last hour thinking it was my Mac playing up.

DCi
I guess after the blackout the prosecutors are going round to see if they can get anyone to comply to some threatening letters maybe to look like they have a point as the blackout was well received

2.2 bar shed.
Considering the amount of content they remove I'm highly surprised. I'd love to see them go after google/YouTube who are just as responsible IMO.

dk

911 GTS Cab
They'll just prove how much they already take down as pirated material to show they are doing everything they can.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Not sure I understand why you mean?

They are no different to any other file sharing/video site, YouTube etc. they all have to try and remove pirate content as it gets uploaded, but there's so much they can't possibly get rid of it all, but if they can prove they actively remove content they are doing what they can.

How about apple cloud and the 'paying for storage to upload songs you have acquired not through iTunes'. That thing is full of pirated songs!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
LMFAO.

This isn't good though, the beginning of something, the fim industry either needs to evolve, or there's going to be one hell of a cyber war.

Genuine point, if blockbusters can put the latest film out there for £4, why can we not have a downloadable version for 99p?

No production costs for discs/cases, no artwork to be printed, no shop to run, no physical media to be distributed in vans etc?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

They are no different to any other file sharing/video site, YouTube etc. they all have to try and remove pirate content as it gets uploaded, but there's so much they can't possibly get rid of it all, but if they can prove they actively remove content they are doing what they can.

How about apple cloud and the 'paying for storage to upload songs you have acquired not through iTunes'. That thing is full of pirated songs!

I was kidding.

iTunes match is a revenue stream for the record labels. They won't touch apple, apple keep them in short trousers.

2.2 bar shed.
I'm hoping they hit a nerve and someone actually has the balls to put a decent bot net on the line. One day soon...

You're normally quite smart, so that absurd post surprises me.

YouTube is totally different.

Who actually uses MegaUpload for anything other than piracy? Same as Rapidshare. They know exactly who their customers are. They make a token effort to delete things and watch the revenue stream in.

dk

911 GTS Cab
You're normally quite smart, so that absurd post surprises me.

YouTube is totally different.

Who actually uses MegaUpload for anything other than piracy? Same as Rapidshare. They know exactly who their customers are. They make a token effort to delete things and watch the revenue stream in.

I use rapidshare to send files to people, before I got a Dropbox account, they are a file sharing service, not everything on there is pirated stuff, just because you maybe have used it for that. Well I probably have at some point, but I've also used those sites I share files, for work when I couldn't be bothered to set up an FTP etc.

We all know most people use it for piracy, but there are also people who use it for its proper purpose. If you are going to get rid of all those sites then fair enough, but picking on one is a little unfair. There's loads of pirated stuff on YouTube, but because the files can be searched and viewed without downloading and unpacking the pirated stuff is removed a hell of a lot quicker and they scan the video as its being transcoded for the site to look for copywrited material.

YouTube even denied my video of take on me with me singing it once as I must have sounded so close to the original ;)

With passworded Rar files its much more difficult for megaupload to detect pirated material I guess. I am surprised with the advert posted and all the big names putting their names to the site if all its known for is pirated material, and they are from the music and film world, bit ironic?

But they follow the DMCA rules. They delete it if advised its copyright, they delete it if requested from the copyright owner and have it in their terms and conditions. Just like YouTube. YouTube also has advertising on pages where copyrighted material is until it's removed, just like MU.

What are the FBI going to do for the users of the service that didn't break any laws and used it as a way to transfer files that couldn't be done over email?

This really is a dark day for the Internet.