ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Megaupload Shut Down

Megaupload, wupload, uploadto, all those other stupid websites that are just for sharing files will all get shut down - they were a crap idea and virtually undefendable

So then everyone will go back to newsgroups lol

I download everything on a 256bit secure newsgroup connection - even your ISP can't see what you're downloading

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
As long as Newsgroups stay, I'll stay calm.

I've used Rapidshare a fair bit over the years, mind.

dk

911 GTS Cab
This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it on copyright grounds

LOL!

Hmmm, plays on my iPad when I go into my YouTube account, says its a public video.

Hang on, I'll upload it to megaupload.....

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its been blocked by Warner, who at the time sent me a nasty email.

Ford Mundano
Didn't realise it was run by Kim Schmitz

He's got previous for this sort of thing too

Really surprised none of the papers and news channels have picked up on this. He's been investigated sooo many times since he was 15 or something, I'm sure i heard he ended up in prison for a while aswell and had his assets stripped?

Used to claim to have made his first millions from hacking until the Americans started getting interested in him.

Really interesting character but 100% crazy.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Something like £75m worth of assets have been seized I think I read last night.

Tom, nasty email, show?

I deleted it, but it was probably automated.

"take it down or else" then YouTube did it for them.

Megaupload, wupload, uploadto, all those other stupid websites that are just for sharing files will all get shut down - they were a crap idea and virtually undefendable

So then everyone will go back to newsgroups lol

I download everything on a 256bit secure newsgroup connection - even your ISP can't see what you're downloading

You do realise that if they wanted to and they had the hardware/software they could see what you are doing and you probably wouldn't notice?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
They'll struggle IMO.

They make a conscious effort to remove pirated material, if the courts decide their effort was not enough, then they'll be punished, but I don't see a MAJOR punishment for "not trying hard enough to remove enough pirate content"

What they will get them on is any of the money laundering things etc, they've been pretty stupid IMO... Running a company that sits on the very brink of legal/illegal and then to try to extort money? The site brought in so much cash but it sounds like they've got greedy.

Clio
Is Schmitz the same bloke who tried setting up that race following the Gumball that had massive prize money for first to finish?

DCi
Someone on facebook put a picture up pointing out that under this new act they want you can get 5 years in prison but the guy who actually killed Michael Jackson (and subsequently all his future music) only got 4 years lol

dk

911 GTS Cab
Seems the actions the other day may have actually made an impact, vote is called off, looks like the bills won't be put forward in their current form any more and they will be looking at an alternative method?

The US Congress has officially postponed the votes on two controversial anti-piracy bills, the Protect IP Act (PIPA) and the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA).

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid delayed Tuesday's scheduled vote on PIPA "in light of recent events", after which House Judiciary Committee Chairman Lamar Smith announced that his panel would not consider SOPA until there is wider agreement on the legislation.

The two acts aim to help service providers tackle websites deemed to be in violation of copyright infringement, although critics argue that they could have devastating repercussions for legitimate websites if passed.

Earlier this week, Wikipedia went down for 24 hours in protest at the proposed legislation. The site's founder Jimmy Wales later celebrated the impact of the blackout, claiming that at least 162 million people saw its message calling for the protection of a free and open internet.

Following Wikipedia's action, a number of Senators withdrew their support for the bill, while more than 4.5 million people signed a Google petition, which claimed the acts would endanger net neutrality and put a burden on legitimate sites.

Explaining his decision today, Smith noted: "I have heard from the critics and I take seriously their concerns regarding proposed legislation to address the problem of online piracy.

"It is clear that we need to revisit the approach on how best to address the problem of foreign thieves that steal and sell American inventions and products."

Reid said on Twitter: "In light of recent events, I have decided to postpone Tuesday's vote on the PROTECT IP Act."

However, he added: "There's no reason that legitimate issues raised about PROTECT IP can't be resolved. Counterfeiting & piracy cost 1000s of #jobs yearly. Americans rightfully expect to be fairly compensated 4 their work. I'm optimistic that we can reach compromise on PROTECT IP in coming weeks."

Barack Obama's administration had previously declared that the bills would not be passed in their current state, as the government would not support any anti-piracy legislation that facilitates online censorship.

Under current US law, only the creators of copyright-infringing material can be sued by the copyright owners, but SOPA proposes extending the powers to any websites that carry the material.

It could ultimately mean that anyone using a website or online forum who posted material infringing copyright would potentially make the site owners liable for a lawsuit, resulting in costly legal proceedings.

Universal, Warner Bros, Viacom, ESPN, ABC, Major League Baseball and the National Football League are among SOPA's key supporters, while Marvel Entertainment and its parent company Disney are also in favour.

Facebook, Google, AOL, Yahoo, Twitter and eBay are among the opposition.

Fileserve and Filesonic have now stopped user's from sharing their file's. You can only download your own at the moment.

Current status:

Megaupload – Closed
Fileserve – Stopped filesharing. You can only download your own files.
Deleting multiple files. Banning Premium accounts. Closed Affiliate Program.
Filesonic – Stopped filesharing. You can only download your own files.
Closed Affiliate Program. Changed server location Jan 22, 2012. Taken down it's Facebook page
Now using Digital fingerprinting. Files are being deleted as soon as uploaded (as Hotfile did).
VideoBB – Closed Affiliate Program.
Filepost – Started suspending accounts with infringing material (as Hotfile did)
Uploaded.t... – Blocked U.S. access.
Videozer – Closed Affiliate Program.
Filejungle – Owned by Fileserve (same as above). Testing USA IP addresses blocking.
Uploadstation – Owned by Fileserve (same as above). Testing USA IP addresses blocking.
4Shared – Deleting multiple files
EnterUpload - Down (Redirect)