ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misfire after engine wash

Clio 172
So washed my 172 engine today , developed a heavy misfire straight after , though maybe if got the coil too wet , dried all that and leads , stil missing , removed inlet manifold spark plug wells full of water , again cleaned and dried and refitted . Still misfiring . Anyone else got any suggestions what I may have wet and or damaged during the wash that would cause this , it's worse under heavy load ie low down the rev range . Cheers

Clio 172
Why did you wash it. It's asking for trouble.

Need to make sure everything is dry and maybe a bit of WD40 on every wet connection to drive the water out.
Well I have washed every other cars engine bay in the same manor and it has never caused any problem . My seat with the 20vt lump has no problems at all .

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Renault engines are dry clean only! Didn't you read the label?

But seriously I wire brush all my engines and plasti dip them. Doesn't always last long but when it peels off you're still left with a clean engine

Clio 2.0 16v 182
Replace the plug cables and check the relay box. Might need to brush some residue off the terminals

Mazda3 2.2D 185BHP
When i see people Pressure washing their engine i have to cringe. All the cars electrics are in there and are NOT waterproof. if you want to clean it then get a brush and some engine degreaser and be gentle and avoid the electrics.

Clio 172
In my defence I have washed countless engines in this manor , admittedly usually diesels or coil on plug variety ! Anyway I left it in the workshop over the weekend with the heater on , runs fine now so happy days !!​

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
washed my 205 1.9gti engine once,i learnt a big lesson konked out on the road,cover the electrics loool never again

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Water will have got down the pug holes, this then creeps up the plugs. Remove leads off the plugs and you'll see the issue. Good dry out should see you reet,

Clio 172
Well the car runs nicely now and pulls hard but won't idle . On idle it cuts out I don't think this problem is related and may have been pre existing as it always ran rough at idle for the previous owner. Any ideas what to check ?