ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Misty headlights

BG 182FF
Depends how you mean 'clean'?
are they misted outside almost flaking? If so there's a kit can be purchased on eBay to correct and restore it (13 quid or somethin ).

A lot of guys do it by hand with very find grit sand paper and polish or cutting compound working down to like 3000 grit

M2 Comp
I did my headlights with the 3M Headlight Restoration Kit at the weekend -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3M-Headlight-Restoration-Discoloured-Headlights/dp/B0078IHJ1K

I'm pleased with the results I got, the headlights look brilliant compared to before. However, if you look closely, you can notice some sanding marks still.

Whether that's down to user error on my part or that 500 grit wet and dry is too coarse, I'm not too sure.

Either way, I would still recommend the kit, but next time I would probably start on 1500/2000 grit.

Clio 172
Yeah and feels pretty rough when you touch it,I've had a look at a couple but thought you'd now what's good and what's not good,will have a look at the kit,I've had a look at the Meguiars kit.

Ph1 172 + 106 GTI
I wet sanded mine with 1500 grit then 2000. I had some G3 left so borrowed my neighbours machine polisher and they came up well

BG 182FF
Yeah tbh if you get some 1500-2000 grit wet n dry paper n use it to apply the polish to them and just take your time polishing them up they'll come fresh in no time. Once the rough feeling has gone and they look clear just give them a good polish until the swirling from the wet n dry papers gone

Clio 172
Haven't tried that technique yet as knowing me I'll slip and mark my wing or bumper,think ill go for one of the kits first then if its a disaster I'll try the rubbing down technique.

BG 182FF
3M kit.

Im a car spaz but even I, going slowly, produced a most excellent finish.

​Its cheap and easy.

Youll have more chance of causing damage to the wings with the kit!!

whichever you choose make sure you tape off surrounding areas.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, the 3M kit is the way to go. To do them properly you really need a good couple of hours. To be fair, I could do with doing them again, but I might tie that in with removing the front bumper next time. I'd imagine that you'd be able to do a much better job with the headlight units actually off the car. Be warned too - the kit generates a LOT of dust during the polishing process.

A quick shot of mine before and after (apologies for the low quality - it was going dark quickly!)

photolens1_zps329ce464.jpg

photolens2_zps2e44e83e.jpg

​D.