ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 advice - Dynamique, Expression, Authentique etc?!?

Beetle
Need to sell the willy as can't really afford/don't really want to have to be paying £1500 for insurance, been on my dads insurance as a named driver for the past 2 years as i'm only 19, but now it's time to get my own policy and no claims built up.
So i'm looking to swap it for a mk2 ph2 thats cheaper to insure and run, thing is i'm not very clued up on them or sure which are the best specced ones. From looking on ebay the dynamiques seem to have the better spec, what do you get as standard on these?!? Also what about a billabong and extreme etc.
Looking to get a 1.4 16v or 1.6 16v, what are the 1.5 diesels like, mpg and power etc, are the earlier 65bhp ones sluggish as hell? Not expecting any of them to be fast, just want something a bit nippy.
Looking at around a y/51/02 reg.
Advice on any of the above models is appreciated:)

Chocolate Bar™
stay clear of billabongs, the seats are awful, stain and go nasty as soon as you spill any water one them. Only diff is they have the silver interior door handles, 172 spoiler and some nasty decals. If i was you i'd try to get your hands on a DCi 100, same torque figures as a 172 yet tonnes of miles to the gallon and only group 5, also feel fast as fook. Can also remap them easily adn get a tonne of power. Id get a dynamique with air con if you can get one, better for resale issues. prob expect to pay 3-4k with average miles. However I love mine, nice nippy car and its only a 1.2. I'd defo get a diesel, especially as your used to having a car with torque

Beetle
What year did the dci 100's start? Want to get a fairly decent specced one as i'll probably have it for at least a year, so want a few toys like air con ideally.
Are the billabong interiors those dodgy green ones?

Mazda MX5 1.8
on the 1.6, 50mpg is easily obtained with sensible driving :D

the dynamiques are really the only ones to go for imo

Milano Premier CTR
Scott-16v! said:
What year did the dci 100's start? Want to get a fairly decent specced one as i'll probably have it for at least a year, so want a few toys like air con ideally.
Are the billabong interiors those dodgy green ones?

There the extreames which are that colour i think, the diesels tend to be alot more expensive than the petrols and the 100bhp 1s are rarer than the others i think.
most 1.6s tend to be between 5 and 6 grand, But u can find the odd 1 where the owner is desperate to get rid then you can get them for about 5 grand as most people go for the 1.2's

Chocolate Bar™
the lazy mans car, as they have auto everything :approve: another point, avoid authentiques (no offence to anyone who has one) but the seats and interior are horrid on the majority (two tone dash)

Last edited:
  Beetle
Cheers for the advice, the dynamiques seem to be the ones to go for, can't really afford any of the dci 100's though by the looks of it, looking to spend 3k max depending on what i get for the willy and what i've got put aside.

Cheers for the other link Middo, decent info on the spec lists on all models :approve:

Chocolate Bar™
prob looking at a 1.4 or DCi 80 then to be honest mate, not a bad little engine though, around 95 bhp iirc? dont rule out the 1.2s either, theres a lot you can do for very little money to make them alot more fun to drive.

good little site is carpages :approve:

Beetle
I think it'll probably be the 1.4 16v dyanmique matey, seems it'll be nippy and economical, no offence to the 1.2 power ;)

Didn't realise they had a 4 star safety rating either

Middo said:
not sure about the DCi 100s. Not sure when they came in, i just assumed they were there from the start (que edde lol)

the 1.6s are ok, but for the money i'd go for the DCi 100, loads more torque lower insurance group and will prob feel a lot faster
You called.
The dci is a great car assuming nothing goes wrong the engine so complex that it can be expensive to fix but for the fuel saving and knowing the issues the 1.2 etc have it wouldn't ever put me off.

One good test of there reliabilty is mine its been caned round most race circuits in this country for hours on end (I don't come on track unless the chequered flag is out) its been flat out on the autobahm for hours on end over 100mph and still works fine after 71k.

The dci 100 came on on a late 53 plates. The first modesl out were the dci 65 and 80. the 80 has a slightly longer box than the 65 and a few other bits but its the same engine realy. Its the 100 which has strenghtened bars to deal with the extra power and the 105 (Mk3 Clio) has a new strengthened block. The one advertised on the trader must be wrong.

The 100 gearbox isn't that good though then again none of them are wonderous. The 100 does suffer though from the fact the gearbox wouldn't take all the torque the engine could make for reliability so that a shame.

The 65 isn't that slugish I've drag raced with other 1.2's and its about even . I even raced a forum meber 1.4 16V on an airfield and there wasn't much in it they realy do loosen up. If you live anywhere near Chester drop me a message and I'll show you how quick one is.

It will do 60 in about 13.7 and I've toped out at an indicated 120mph (116 according to GPS). It will go round most race circuit about 10% slower than a 172 or 182 with a similar driver behind the wheel of both cars.

Personally I'd go for a dynamic engine well I'd see insurance and if the 80 ins't much more go for that one otherwise the 65 isn't bad its not much less power. Aircon was an option on the 65 dynamic and standard (along with alarm and electric sunroof on the 80 dynamics.

MPG wise well i drive it very very hard 50mpg all the time at the moment (last 6k or so). On high speed driving 36or so mpg (over 100mph) You cna get it to dip down as low as 29mpg but thats track day driving on the limit. On the road driving like its a race circuit you won't get under 37mpg. I drive that hard that even excluding track days a set of tyres last under 10k.

1.2's have 75hp
1.4 16v have 98hp
1.6 have 110hp
dci 65 have realy 70hp (due to tax laws abroad diesel are always derated they make more power after miles.)
dci 80 have about 85hp
dci 100 have abouty 105hp

Newer Clios have had to change the spec on the engine so the 65 showed it make 68hp and the 80 made 82hp. There the same gnines though its just they had to stop calling the engine lower spec than they realy are.

al

ST on the way...
clio__chris said:
on the 1.6, 50mpg is easily obtained with sensible driving :D

the dynamiques are really the only ones to go for imo

No chance, i've only ever had 50 mpg when driving like a granny on the motorway.

Average probably about 37ish.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
reading this you dont want to pay more than 1.5 on insurance, so stay away from the 1.6s
and you dont want to pay more than 3k for a car, you want get a 1.4 for that money, struggle to get a decent 1.2 dynamique if im honest.
maybe try looking at the 1.2 mk ph1s?

Beetle
Cheers for that Edde thats very informative, certainly gives me something to think about, thanks for the offer of showing me what they're like but i live about 15mins from Nottingham.
Taylor, i can get insured on all of the petrol variants for less than £800, already done the quotes :) Not really keen on the ph1's in standard form tbh, will probably take a while to find a decent 1.4 dynamique but they do crop up, theres been a few to choose from on autotrader over the past few weeks, just need to sell mine first.
What sort of faults should i be looking out for? What should have been changed by say 50k?!? Bearing in mind the ones i'll be looking at will be 5 years old, so i take it a cambelt will be required soon on any of them?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! don't do it

elephant, limit miles and 3PFT, I'm payin 478 with 0NCB and 3points. folks on policy too. Car limited to 8k miles a yr.

Beetle
^I've already done that mate and got the figure of £1530, also just got the call from the garage to say it's failed the mot:rolleyes:

Chocolate Bar™
baragin that with 66k, however remember it'll need the cambelt doing soon which is a large chunk of dosh

al

ST on the way...
Someone like Mike (rentech) or Clarkie (carlton) should be able to do at a decent price.

Chocolate Bar™
hmmm still worth thinking about though, its still gonna be expensive regardless of who fits it

Beetle
Trouble is Mike and Clarkie are so damn far away, how much is a cambelt change likely to cost me on a mk2?

Scott-16v! said:
Trouble is Mike and Clarkie are so damn far away, how much is a cambelt change likely to cost me on a mk2?
£250 or so thats Renault a good Renault gaage shop round and you'll find one of them will charge about that.

Scott-16v! said:
Cheers for that Edde thats very informative, certainly gives me something to think about, thanks for the offer of showing me what they're like but i live about 15mins from Nottingham.
Taylor, i can get insured on all of the petrol variants for less than £800, already done the quotes :) Not really keen on the ph1's in standard form tbh, will probably take a while to find a decent 1.4 dynamique but they do crop up, theres been a few to choose from on autotrader over the past few weeks, just need to sell mine first.
What sort of faults should i be looking out for? What should have been changed by say 50k?!? Bearing in mind the ones i'll be looking at will be 5 years old, so i take it a cambelt will be required soon on any of them?
50k should be fine.

I'm suposed to be going to Donnington Park soon but not for a month I'd guess.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I would recommend the DCI over any of the petrol variants.

The 1.2 is a town car, a friend of mine has a 55 plate Extreme 1.2.

I haven't had any dealings with the 1.4s.

Another friend of mine used to have a 1.6 dynamique and we had a little go to compare the cars, from low speeds he would pull away from me at a quick walk. From mid speeds I would gain on him slightly (mine is the DCI 80 with 20k miles (was 10k at the time of racing)) and at high speeds he would generally pull away slowly once we hit the ton.

I imagine the DCI 100 would be ahead of the 1.6, but then again, I'm sure a 115bhp DCI 80 would have little to no trouble with a 1.6.

Gaz

Flaming Inferno 225
I would never buy a diesel in anything smaller than a renault scenic its just not worth it ;)

Gazeratti said:
I would never buy a diesel in anything smaller than a renault scenic its just not worth it ;)
Depends how many miles you do mine worked out to be ever after 20k or so.
5.6p a mile saving for me so after 71k the savings quite a bit (about £3k) plus its worth a bit more resale. Servicing is slightly cheaper as well.

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo
Lol. Not meaning to be rude cliokhunt. Who ever was driving that 1.6 needs to get some lessons. The 1.2 clio has 75bhp, so only 5bhp difference, and i bet its lighter than the dci 80. So would you seriously say the 1.2 would only just fall behind the 1.6? Having owned both a 1.2 and a 1.6, i know for a fact what the answer is. Fair enough the dci may have more torque than the 1.2, but that doesnt make up for its lack of power.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
mcoppen said:
Lol. Not meaning to be rude cliokhunt. Who ever was driving that 1.6 needs to get some lessons. The 1.2 clio has 75bhp, so only 5bhp difference, and i bet its lighter than the dci 80. So would you seriously say the 1.2 would only just fall behind the 1.6? Having owned both a 1.2 and a 1.6, i know for a fact what the answer is. Fair enough the dci may have more torque than the 1.2, but that doesnt make up for its lack of power.

Fair enough, and I don't mean to cause any offence either.

It's not all down to hp. The DCI 80 is lighter than the 1.6 if I remember rightly, and the 1.2 is about 50kg lighter than an equivalently specced DCI80, nothing really.

Now for some fact, the 1.2 16 will never keep up with the DCI 80, I think edde said it's close to his 65.

My car has been slightly modified and now has more power than a standard 1.6. I'm not going to start posting stats, and haven't raced any other cars recently, but I would hazard a guess that when moving i.e. 50 - 100 it is faster than the 1.6.

Al I would be happy to do some testing with you, I thing it would make a good write up if we posted some videos and stats one day. Do you goto many CS meets ??? I am thinking of going to that camping one in september.

BMW M135i
Diesels are all well and good if they suit you which to me they don't, I don't like the power delivery or the lack of revs and can't stand the noise. It does sound like a tractor whatever you say and i've driven plenty of more expensive diesels not just the renault one and not one of them has sounded any good, yes the surge of torque you get with them is great too, until it dies about 1/2k rpm later.

Just pootering around in them is fine and you can't argue with the fuel consumption in any way, but when you want some fun they just don't float my boat. I would only ever have one if it were a company car or I somehow had to do stupid miles and to be honest i'd still begrudge it then.

al

ST on the way...
cliokhunt said:
Al I would be happy to do some testing with you, I thing it would make a good write up if we posted some videos and stats one day. Do you goto many CS meets ??? I am thinking of going to that camping one in september.

Yeah that would be good, i'm quite intrigued now :)

I go to all the Yorkshire meets (being a rep n all ;))

I will be attending the camping meet in September :D

cliobuyer said:
I saw an in Initiale yesterday night, think i've only seen 3! I think they have some pimped out spec.
I saw an Initale at my local Makro (wholesalers) the other day, dont like it cause it did'nt have the dynamique spoiler, it had a naff one thats on the Expressions etc