ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Mk2 Clio - AutoSOLO to RallyCross

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Yeah! If your going to be in the clio game for a while, it's well worth becoming a full ClioSport member. It's £12 a year, but you get access to the car parts for sale forum, which really is worth it imo. If you're after something really odd like those screws, you'll find someone breaking a car, and be able to get them for much less than ecp! Also get things like springs, second hand seats, harnesses and the like for sale.
The suspension on mine is coated in epoxy mastic, it's the most hard wearing coating I have found.

Clio 172
That's my plan fella. I'm just messing around in the 1.2 really, just finding my feet. I'm going to mistakes in the beginning with handling & driving etc so I'd rather break a cheap 1.2 than a few hundred quid 172 lol & then like you suggested, once I get more confident I can transfer as much as I can from the 1.2 to the 2.0 😌

Sounds like a good plan. Experience is everything. You'll still have good fun in a 1.2.

I'm an ex-prop so weight is against me as well. It's all about maintaining momentum, no matter what car you're in. Handbraking is fun but you lose a great deal of momentum. Driving round corners, not huge slides, even on gravel, is usually fastest. When you walk the course on Autosolos, think lines, where you have to brake hard and tight turns. DON'T just think left or right of cones, you'll be slow. I take forever looking at lines and the surfaces under braking and acceleration - I always look for the best grip allied to the optimum line. Having the driven wheels straight is normally best for traction and reduces stress on the car. No application of masses of power on full lock! Once you have the basic skills, it's all in your head.

Pictures of a little sideways action from Wethersfield - in both cases I was sliding a little wide so had to change the attitude of the car with the handbrake, but not too sideways. Sideways is slow.
View attachment 182952 View attachment 182953
All pics courtesy of Andy Manston at M&H Photography.

Last edited:

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Don't know why but your pics haven't loaded for me Alan :( Absolutely, learning in a 1.2 will help you to think about lines and momentum, rather than messing up the corner, pointing it in a straight line, taking off at enormous speed, overshooting the next corner, and repeating. Really looking forward to hearing about your first event!

Renault Clio Mk2
Don't know why but your pics haven't loaded for me Alan :( Absolutely, learning in a 1.2 will help you to think about lines and momentum, rather than messing up the corner, pointing it in a straight line, taking off at enormous speed, overshooting the next corner, and repeating. Really looking forward to hearing about your first event!
Yeah I'm really excited to get my first run under my belt. Went to my first club meeting the other night & they do Tests but not Solos so I might have to skip the first step & go straight to tests lol might think about not getting the car taxed or anything & invest the money into a cheap trailer... hmm decisions decisions! Back on the car again tonight! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I personally drive mine to and fro, and so do most others. Pros of a trailer are obvious though, breakdowns are less of a hassle, although for targa rallies you'll need a valid mot. 12 car rallies obviously need full Road legality. I don't have a trailer license or tow car though aha!

Renault Clio Mk2
Not much to say on tonight's work. I did manage to get the torx screw off but was then met by a brick wall when neither of the 2 bolts holding the hub would come off [emoji35] I'm going to have to invest in some proper tooling me thinks! [emoji23]
d246f11751feb4d179ccae6e7df83459.jpg

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
You've still done more than I have aha! I'd recommend a Halfords 18 inch breaker bar, or even a 24 inch one. Lifetime guaranteed, and I've jumped on mine to get things undone before. That said, I'm no rugby player... Also, I only use 6 point sockets on bolts that are stuck.

Renault Clio Mk2
You've still done more than I have aha! I'd recommend a Halfords 18 inch breaker bar, or even a 24 inch one. Lifetime guaranteed, and I've jumped on mine to get things undone before. That said, I'm no rugby player... Also, I only use 6 point sockets on bolts that are stuck.
Haha! Yeah I think I'm going to go & do a bit of toy shopping tomorrow! Pick up some new spanners & a breaker bar. This driveshaft WILL come out! Lol

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Nice! If there's one thing I like more than vehicle shopping it's tool shopping aha! I like to put my suspension back together with some copper grease on the threads to save the battle every time it comes apart. I also religiously torque everything, because I'm one of those people that over tightens things otherwise.

Renault Clio Mk2
Nice! If there's one thing I like more than vehicle shopping it's tool shopping aha! I like to put my suspension back together with some copper grease on the threads to save the battle every time it comes apart. I also religiously torque everything, because I'm one of those people that over tightens things otherwise.
Well my day of took shopping came to a grinding halt!! The steering on my every day car decided that it would be good if the steering stopped working.. so yeah a pretty serious job which isn't going to be cheap judging by the forums, so I got to save every penny [emoji53] gutted!

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Are you hoping to fix it yourself? What has gone on it? Just the power assist?

Renault Clio Mk2
Are you hoping to fix it yourself? What has gone on it? Just the power assist?
It depends, judging by the forums it could either be a few pennies to fix or over a £1000! Got it booked in for a diagnostic tomorrow & then take it from there I think