ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

MR2 REV3 TURBO OR KEEP MY CUP ???

Da

Less
blue%20cup.jpg

This.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
mr2 turbo's are awesome machines, depends on what u want from a car tho, and they are really bad on fuel.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Driven one? They're very capable round corners as long as you know what your doing, they are a difficult car to drive tho due to the mid/rear engine layout and will spin very easily if you lift off.
I used to leave my friends for dead on B-roads in my 197, I think I actually pulled in at one point to let her catchup because it just wouldn't put the power down in the corners and the back end went out trying to keep up.

Saying that though, it may have been her driving ability as the S13 is surprisingly planted and its FR with no weight in the back...

Clio 1970000000
A very tough choice. Have had a ride in an MR2 turbo and they ARE fast. Also exciting cars too but not for the right reasons :eek:.

Either way you will still have something fun. Depends on whether you want a change because you are bored of your 172.

Clio Trophy 182
mr2 turbo thats what im talkin about. one of the best car i had. its a racer on straights. i had 3. rev 1 and 2 rev 2s.

if you go for the t bar watch out for the seals they normally leak. common fault. rev 3 is the one to have with lsd as standard. and no they not really bad on fuel you will be suprised when drivin normal.

be careful on the bends tho does get tricky sometimes. awesome weapon if tuned up. around 3k will get you a nice rev 3.

Scirocco 2.0 tsi
Yes kam2turbo, but seriously how often are you going to drive something like that normally when you know the sort of power you've got! not often lol. Its not a car you buy to tootle round in. The one I took out was fine in the bends but i was warned before hand not to adjust throttle at all except in a straight line because you'd just spin it straight out if u did.

It felt really nice and planted through the bends though (but i wasn't pushing it as it was a test drive!)

Last edited:
  non sport
my mates got an mr2 its absolutly gorgeous!!and he's just bought a 350z to replace it but still has the mr2 on his drive. they are so good. but yeh they are crap on fuel and insurance

RS 172
2 totally differnt cars. Having had 3 MR2's. I love them, but they were always a second car for me. A weekend toy. You can use them every day, but its just not the same. Get more fun out of the clio every day. once or twice a week the MR3 is great fun...

No help i know... lol

I do love my 172 cup, but i miss my turbo jap cars. The mr2 turbo iv always liked, but iv always gone and brought imprezas instead. Think the best thing i can do is wait 3 months till my insurance runs out start saving and keep the cup, and get 1 on a second car policy. Insurance aint to bad (im 32). They have got to be better than 8/17 mpg, thats what i was getting from my last impreza. Thanks for the advice guys.

172 Cup & Clio dci Van
Driven one? They're very capable round corners as long as you know what your doing, they are a difficult car to drive tho due to the mid/rear engine layout and will spin very easily if you lift off.
yep several times one was a na t-bar i think - shite
the other was apparently 300bhp+ and was twitchy as fcuk - and both were rusty faded and sounded and very rattley inside.

then the new version was 'improved' into a true hairdressers motor rover looking tat

E90
Handling summary

Grip, grip, grip, grip, boost, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, *insert laws of physics here* sideways, catch it, no chance, backwards, lampost, BANG, Call AA/Death.

Clio 172
Handling summary

Grip, grip, grip, grip, boost, FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK, *insert laws of physics here* sideways, catch it, no chance, backwards, lampost, BANG, Call AA/Death.

Well you can't get much more accurate than that.

Great fun though.

KMB

Clio 200 Cup
There seem to be some uniformed opinions from people who have clearly never owned an MR2 Turbo!

I owned this one and I actually preferred it to my S2000, very cheap to get 275bhp (245bhp Std), very fast and handle superbly, just make sure you get a Rev 3+

I loved mine, it had a little extra boost and an air filter other than that standard, great fun!

32mpg and strangely cheap insurance too....
100_0137a.jpg

100_0135a.jpg

100_0139a.jpg

100_0132a.jpg

Iceberg 172
I think they used to look great, but have dated recently.

I think the handling depends on your driving style, like any turbo'd rwd car if you enter a corner on no boost and give it a load mid corner you're going to end up sideways! Mid engine is known to be difficult to control.

I'd consider it as a massive down grade though... I love my Cup and wouldn't let it go for one of these... to be honest, there's nothing i'd ratehr have for similar value.