ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 172 is overheating!

BMW 330cd
Not something that is common with the 1*2 I'm guessing as I couldn't see any threads on the matter. I'm just hoping it's a perished hose :(

Take it as there is no water in the tank?

Check your water pump hasnt failed and its leaking water I has 2 collapse on me the first one took out my cam belt which blew the head - new engine -.-'

Nick

BMW 330cd
Cheers fella il check that. Yer bone f**king dry. I was sat in the car park car ticking over for about ten fifteen minutes then it started smelling funny, poped the bonnet bit of smoke /steam and no coolant in the tank.

340i
Is there any obvious leaks around the thermostat, coolant pipes etc.?

Have you topped up the header tank to see how much fluid you've lost?

BMW 330cd
Okay on further investigation there seems to be another problem. The temperature gauge is showing over halfway even tho the engine has been sitting for about 4 hours? Could this be the thermostat and could a faulty thermostat cause my expansion tank to run dry? Also done a dial check before anyone mention it. I filled it up with water 4 hours ago and it's still full so must be a slow leak if it's leaking at all.

330i. E30 Touring.
Coolant temp sensor leaking?

Need to find the leak and then go from there, tbh.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
check your bottom lower hose from the rad, follow it to the block.

if its coming off, you see a thread looking pipe thats ment to have the hose on. ( usually held via a jub clip or another type of clip )

mine drained its self and got really hot with no water ( smoke and steam to )

thats hose im on about, it was coming off on mine, so when the engine was running, the pressure forced water out of the hose due to not being secure on the threaded pipe.

hope this makes sence

BMW 330cd
Had yet another look at my car today, I'm now having to fill the expansion bottle every morning.

Things I have checked,

Water pump no leaks but still may not be working
thermostat no leaks
head gasket no leaks or problems that I can see
oil and oil cap all fine
expansion bottle is fine
checked the hoses most of them seem fine apart from one on the bottom passenger side of the rad

Okay, some things that are bothering me, first the circulation of the coolant going back into the expansion bottle, coolant is not flowing back into the bottle, another thing after 15 mins of driving the rad was barely warm is that normal??? Even tho the temp was sitting at halfway how it should. Then A/C rad has come apart from the main rad! Video link below.

Last edited by a moderator:

nikstar

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
If its not leaking externally, sounds like possible head gasket. Thats not to say that it isnt leaking externally and you just cant see a leak. Best bet is take it to a garage and get a pro to look at it!

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I don't think it's the head gasket - surely you would notice 2 litres of water mixing with the oil per day!

There must be a leak somewhere. It kinda reminds me of my old mk3 golf vr6. I always had to carry 4L of water around with me on a daily basis.

BMW 330cd
I'm 99% sure it's not the head gasket. It is leaking I can see it on the ground in the mornings, I'm just not sure where from. Also I'm pretty sure my a/c rad shouldn't be like it is which leads me to believe my radiator is at fault hopefully not both of them.

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I'd pressurise the cooling system to check for any leaks from the hoses and radiator.

Evo 5 RS
Unless you were giving it death 15 minutes is not long enough to get the rad to a hot to touch temperature anyway. Is it not possible it could be an airlock? If you can't physically see where the coolant is going it must be going somewhere, if it was the head gasket you'd know about it on these, it would be hammering it out the back.

Check if theres any on the sump guard if you've still got it on?

172/1.2/E30
Did you check the hoses running to the heater matrix? Especially the main one that splits into several branches? Mine leaked on the gearbox.

BMW 330cd
I think what has happened is where the a/c rad has been swinging back and forth into the main rad, what's happend is the a/c rad must of puntcherd a hole in the radiator. I can't find any leaking hoses and have checked everything I can think of. Water pump head gasket heater matrix thermostat. I have it booked in with ren tech in Portsmouth. I will Report back for future reference.

Megane Diesel / 172
I had a similar problem and it was the radiator, couldn't see any obvious leaks, even when we took it out it looked fine, but put the new one in and no problems :)

Not staking my life on it or anything but that's what my problem was.

BMW 330cd
That's what i would put my money on. Can i be cheeky and ask how much you paid to get your radiator done :eek: