ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 205 burnt to a crisp :(

182 ff
Thanks for the kind comments/ advice. Reason I insured it market value was because (wrongly maybe) I believed agreed value policies were more suited to cars who's values FAR exceed the market value. I.e those that have had total nut/bolt resto's or the likes of a 10k mile prime example.

Mine was a really nice, honest rust/ mod free example that had been cared for since new (took months to find and more difficult to get hold of than you'd expect) Certainly no concourse £10k plus car but Id like to think its worth at least what I paid for it? I.e market value. Ive got dozens of photo's of the car along with the ebay add when I bought it in April (including the purchase price)

Im not trying to make money from this, just want to re-coup my losses. What upsets me the most is the fact it's been on the road and cared for 26 years and some asshole wrecked it in a moment of mindless damage.

:rage:
I see a old man in the supermarket, in a 205 1.9 all the time,.he bought it from new,only goes the shop in it..i asked to buy it, he said no.. ha its low mileage and mint.. he is about 70 ha..

182 FF, 306 Rallye
I'm truly gutted for you. I got my 106gti smashed in about 7 times - I think it obviously came a bit of a target.....

I hate people in this world that do this - I hope someone gets charged for this View attachment 145708

Miss this car

Im feeling a lot of hate at the moment mate! Its the mess they've made on the drive/ smoke damage to the front of the house etc! So pissed off its unreal.

Unlucky for it to have happened but lucky it wasn't worse. If the Shogun had caught fire I think the garage's would of gone up.

Nice 106 that, cant remember the last time I saw one in Blaze yellow. Friend of mine had a china blue one with the leather, it flew! Always thought they pushed out more than the quoted 120bhp.

f**king mongolites. On the plus side, at least they didn't break in for the keys etc. Hope you get a good payout. Insurance is all about putting you back in the same position so they can't give you a hundred quid for it. Just keep pushing them, the pay out will only go up from them. If they don't play ball contact the their complaints team.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
I hate people. People suck.

As has been posted several times, gather as many adverts for similar minty mcmint 205's and always turn down the first off or two from the Insurance until YOU are happy with it. You pay them for a service, they have to provide it.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi.../peugeot-205-gti-low-mileage-pristine/4822743

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/peugeot/205/peugeot-205-1-9-gti-3dr/5183449

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...eugeot-205-gti-------------------1989/5153260

There's a few to get you started. In fact, all of them on PH seem to be above £5k.

alexroberts0289

ClioSport Club Member
Sorry to hear this! Still one of teh cars on my list. Hopefully you'll get a reasonable settlement from the insurers. Who is it insured with? (Apologies if I missed that)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I hate people. People suck.

As has been posted several times, gather as many adverts for similar minty mcmint 205's and always turn down the first off or two from the Insurance until YOU are happy with it. You pay them for a service, they have to provide it.

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi.../peugeot-205-gti-low-mileage-pristine/4822743

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/peugeot/205/peugeot-205-1-9-gti-3dr/5183449

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...eugeot-205-gti-------------------1989/5153260

There's a few to get you started. In fact, all of them on PH seem to be above £5k.
I hate to play devils advocate but what's to say those pictures he has aren't 5 years old. ( We know the aren't but the insurers don't) Fingers crossed it gets paid out as it should and he isn't out of pocket. Non agreed value was madness.

An orange one
Absolutely gutted! (no pun)

That looked a peach, hope you get a somewhat decent figure from insurance mate :(

RB182cup&golf gti
That is really serious. As said, that could have taken out the house with your family inside. They need to find and charge the c**t that did that. The annoying thing is they could easily catch the fucker, just depends how serious they (police) rank the crime.
Gutted for you.

Mavez

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio & No Megane
Aww man that is complete crap! What a totally stunning car as well.

I see a old man in the supermarket, in a 205 1.9 all the time,.he bought it from new,only goes the shop in it..i asked to buy it, he said no.. ha its low mileage and mint.. he is about 70 ha..

Weird isn't it, when you see people like that and in reality he would have likely 'only' been in his mid 40s when he bought it if he was 70 (for arguments sake).

182 ff
Weird isn't it, when you see people like that and in reality he would have likely 'only' been in his mid 40s when he bought it if he was 70 (for arguments sake).
another old man near us ,he had a maestro mg from new..he was over 70.,i didnt asked to buy that ha

182 FF, 306 Rallye
Suspect has been questioned, as anticipated denies the whole thing. He'a a juvenile so released on bail pending further enquiries. Will be down to CCTV/ mobile examination work now I believe but Im not too hopeful.

To be fair though the Cops and Fireservice were great. They are doing their best but at the end of the day they can only work within the rules and the evidence to hand. They aren't miracle workers.

Yes plently more 205's in the sea but not plenty of great one's of a specific spec. Not wanting to sound soft but I do get emotionally attached to my cars so as time goes on Im feeling more and more gutted/ angry.

Thanks to everyone for advice/ support. Will keep you updated with Police investigation/ insurance as and when I hear anything.

Yeah, your biggest problem is everyone now thinks their 205 is worth thousands. People are chancing their arm advertising a ropey example up there with the nicer original vehicles.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Sold my red 1.9 gti in 2010 for £1150.

It was very clean and had just had bottom end rebuilt along with a lot of other parts renewed while the engine was out. However it was used as my daily and had 135,000 miles on it. I originally priced it at £1800 but struggled like mad to shift it. How times have change.

Shame to see what was a good example of a much loved car ruined by some knobhead.

Truly shocking.... I can't believe that someone would set fire to someone's car on their driveway, right next to a house and 2 other cars.....
What the actual f**k is wrong with some people?!?! [emoji35] [emoji35]

Could have lost your house!

Shocking! [emoji33] Such a good looking 205 too [emoji20] very sad times. Feel gutted for you and hope they catch the sub-human scum!

Out of curiosity, who would pay to rectify the damage to the driveway and house? Car or Home insurance?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Truly shocking.... I can't believe that someone would set fire to someone's car on their driveway, right next to a house and 2 other cars.....
What the actual f**k is wrong with some people?!?! [emoji35] [emoji35]

Could have lost your house!

Shocking! [emoji33] Such a good looking 205 too [emoji20] very sad times. Feel gutted for you and hope they catch the sub-human scum!

Out of curiosity, who would pay to rectify the damage to the driveway and house? Car or Home insurance?
I'd say home bud as it's part of the land that the house sits on.

The car is the car. [emoji2]

I'd say home bud as it's part of the land that the house sits on.

The car is the car. [emoji2]
That's what I assumed.
Just wasn't sure... as if it wasn't for the car being ablaze then the house wouldn't be damaged (obviously), so wasn't sure if the home insurance would demand car insurance covered damages.

You know what insurances are like, they like to pass the buck so someone else pays. They never like paying out for anything other than the bare minimum.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
To be fair though the Cops and Fireservice were great. They are doing their best but at the end of the day they can only work within the rules and the evidence to hand. They aren't miracle workers.

Well this attitude is refreshing to see!

Horrible thing to happen to you, hopefully things go as smoothly as they can for you payout wise and you get a decent settlement figure, all the best with it.

Williams
If it cost you just over 4k to buy in April, this is the market value. I would keep to that line and ask for the 4k back. If they say no I would go to the ombudsman.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
Man that's devastating, I would genuinely want to move if someone set fire to my car on the drive. I'd be so paranoid about it. Really feel for you mate, at least everyone is safe and the house wasn't damaged.

182 FF, 306 Rallye
Just thought Id update this to those interested.

So after a few weeks waiting, and a detailed e-mail or two later Ive managed to settle with the insurers this week for £6000, minus the excess (£300). Which overall Im happy with.

Just shows that market value insurance can work in your favour on classics if you can evidence it.

On the Police investigation they are still waiting for forensics on the neighbours vehicle, we'll see how that pans out but Im not too hopefull.

Would like another 205 but think Id get shafted on a new policy now. My old one was £150 fully comp with 3,000 limited miles. I fear it would be £500 plus now with this claim which is a sum i'll struggle to justify for a toy. Id be worried about it being on my drive too :down: I'll see how things go I guess. Thanks to everyone for the help though

Horrible horrible horrible to see those photos...

This is what scares me about the day my Renault 5 GT Turbo gets finished, stuff like this will be at the back of my mind. These sort of cars now have such a varied value range when they are sold.

I wouldn't personally get another one if I was in your shoes, not for a while anyway! Did you manage to keep the front plate!?