ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my canon kit choices

canon 4*0
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di ll LD

or possibly Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM

any better ideas ?

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
I bought a EF 70-300MM IS USM f/4-5.6 which is amazing :)

Looking for a 10-20 wide angle and some filters now

aparantly the sigma 10-20 is very good especially comparing the price to the canon
canon 467 sigma 282 but the sigma is a 77mm filter dunno about the canon cant imagine it been much different at that wide an angle

i may get a bigger telephoto lense later or while over in hongkong but i think teh others are better suited for what im wanting just now

large.gif

The Canon 10-22 is also a 77mm filter size and can be had for 420, although rebates have finished for now, got mine for 380..

dk

911 GTS Cab
canon 4*0
Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM
Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II
Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di ll LD

or possibly Canon EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM

any better ideas ?
don't forget the EF-S lenses are designed for the smaller sensor so give the true size whereas the other lenses will be more magnified due to being for full size sensors.

dk

911 GTS Cab
isnt the 17-55 what comes with cameras like 400D etc as standard?
yes and its a S lens so is designed for the smaller sensor.

If you buy a 17-50 tamron it won't be as wide, think you need to multiple it by something like 1.4?

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
  MB EQC
Just buy the camera and get used to it first, you don't need all that glass at once fella!

Just buy the camera and get used to it first, you don't need all that glass at once fella!

well i think i will as as soon as i pick it up im off on a once in a life time holiday (honeymoon) so i need to make sure i have everything i need. its also not going to be paid for by me im getting it as a wedding present

isnt the 17-55 what comes with cameras like 400D etc as standard?

If you buy a 17-50 tamron it won't be as wide, think you need to multiple it by something like 1.4?

EF-S lenses still use traditional focal lengths, an EF 18mm is the same as an EF-S 18mm, it just won't work on a full frame or 1.3x crop body...

McBunny, I'd look at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, might be enough to cover your hole trip, save lens faffing on your honeymoon...

possible but the 50mm prime will be good for those evening romantic headshots etc without flash wont it ?
unless the 17-50 is f2.8 all the way through the range is it ?

and the 10-20 id have thought would be great for those nice out to sea sunsets jungle shots and hongkong by night shots

this is all new to me i just dont want to get it wrong lol tbh id buy the lenses before the camera just so i already have them as they aint all in stock usually are they and id literally have 1 day to get them

I will be in the minority here but I would let go of the standard zoom (17-50 or 17-55) and get a telephoto instead. I use the 10-20 and 50mm 1.8 when travelling and I've never felt the need to plug the gap inbetween them (I just move!), it makes you more creative if you don't have everything to hand as well. I shot New York for 5 days with just those two lens, came away with 2000 shots and never felt like I missed out.

Or on the other hand, get the decent standard zoom (like the Tamron BluePete mentions) and ditch the 10-20 and 50mm, sure you won't be able to go as wide, but 17mm is still pretty wide and it saves the lens change hassle.

To compliment either of those options I would consider a reasonable telephoto zoom, anything fast will be far too big to carry around, but something like the 70-300mm effort from Sigma would serve you well and not cost much.

The worst thing when travelling is swapping lenses, unless you take something like an Arctic Butterfly you will be extremely lucky to not get dust on your sensor (which won't be going anywhere until you get home and sort it) if you are considering going away with quite a few lens.

well arctic butterfly is about 50 from what i have seen so could always get one that combined with the self cleaning function in the 400d should see my self clear of dust no ?

17mm is pretty wide but with 1.6x its 27mm and i dont think wide enough

how about 10-20 50mm 17-55 and the 70-300 lol

what about tripods whats good ?? oh and a flash ?

dk

911 GTS Cab

EF-S lenses still use traditional focal lengths, an EF 18mm is the same as an EF-S 18mm, it just won't work on a full frame or 1.3x crop body...

McBunny, I'd look at the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, might be enough to cover your hole trip, save lens faffing on your honeymoon...
if thats true then what is the point of having the S lens, i'm sre i've read that the S lens 18-55 will go wider than a non S 18-55 which will be more like a 30-70 or something like that on a smaller sensor.

Never use a tripod or flash-gun so wouldn't know, you get what you pay for with tripods though. I just carry a Gorillapod SLR Zoom around if I'm desperate, didn't need it in New York but used it a fair bit in Venice. I can't see the need for a flashgun for travel in all honesty

This is a serious amount of equipment to be taking though, I know pros who take less on a trip! For my forthcoming two week trip I'm taking my D50, Sigma 10-20, Nikon 50mm 1.8 and Gorillapod...everything else is staying at home, my favourite 80-200 2.8 is even staying here, it's a fine line between getting great shots and enjoying the trip. Every travel photography guide I've ever read suggests travelling as light as possible and I would certainly agree with that, every shot here aside from about 3 Statue of Liberty shots were taken with a camera and two lens (50mm and 10-20) and absolutely nothing else, just to give you an idea of the range of shots possible.

hmm tbh your photos have helped me decide i think :) they are fantastic by the way

10-20 and 50mm seem to do what i want to do

i will get the other lenses at a later date as they will come in handy for motorsport etc

how did you do this one ? did you just step backwards ?

131734758-M.jpg

VaVa
Manually zoomed out? f**k knows. I've found the Canon 50mm to be an absolutely superb lens for night shots and low light shooting in general. And it cost me £45 ebay!!

Great advice as always ukaskew - I always read your posts on photography.

if thats true then what is the point of having the S lens, i'm sre i've read that the S lens 18-55 will go wider than a non S 18-55 which will be more like a 30-70 or something like that on a smaller sensor.

Of the top of my head, the S means that the lens can be placed closer to the sensor and is cheaper to make, AFAIK it also uses less glass designed for the 1.6x crop, where by an EF will have the corner glass cropped off.

McBunny, going to agree with ukaskew, I shoot with extremes as well but if you do go that route buy something more reliable than the f/1.8, I've loved mine but I really want to replace it with the Sigma 30 f/1.4 as I find 50 to long. Consider the 50 f/1.4 if you can afford.

p.s. shoot don't shoot the mrs with an UWA or there'll be hell to pay :clown:

hehe i shall remember that :)

i may start out with the f1.8 as at £70 i can afford to break it

the 30 may be a later investment shall see if teh 50 is much use first

Mcbunny: I just set it to a 10sec exposure and zoomed out whilst taking the pic (20mm down to 10mm), as long as you do it smoothly it's easy to get a cool effect.

Pete: pmsl at the UWA and Mrs. comment, it's really not flattering (yes I tried!) ;)

F&B

16v>Cup>25Anni>Cup>320cdM
Just to add my t'pence.

I have a 400d and last week got the opportunity to use it solidly for 3 days (on hols). The things I really came back thinking (which really agree with what others have said) -

The Canon 50mm 1.8 is fantastic. I bought it when I first got the camera because I wanted a prime that was fast. It stays on my camera the majority of the time - the best bit is how usable it is in low light without a flash. At 60 quid it's almost not worth worrying about.

The Canon 18-55 kit lens. Didn't use it once, if I was somewhere within that kind of range I always went for the 50mm because it produces much sharper images with better colour saturation. Will probably only ever use the kit lens if I didn't have access to my other lenses.

I also have the Canon EF-S 10-22mm. Brilliant for landscapes/sunsets/large buildings/big machinery. The Sigma 10-20 is supposed to be not far off this in terms of quality but I managed to bag the Canon at a good price.

I borrowed a 80-200mm to take with me (pretty old and a little dusty) and did find situations where this length was handy but the lens couldn't produce anywhere near the quality of the other two lenses mentioned by and I couldn't use it in low light at all. The telephotos mentioned by others here would be better than this though. I think I'll get myself a quick telephoto at some point - currently considering the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 Macro APO - virtually L series quality or even better (depends which reviews you read) better much cheaper. I also don't like the idea of walking about with white lenses - draws a bit of attention.

What I would say is go with your plan of the 50 and 10-20 and maybe a 70-300 of some description, but invest in plenty of memory and a some spare batteries. I shoot RAW and with 575 images I was hitting the 5gig level as well as being on my second charge of battery (my opinion is always to go RAW because it gives you more chance of recovering a poor exposure). I was able to charge up and dump images to a hardrive I took with me but if you want to travel light having extra cards and batteries saves you lugging a laptop with you. Don't worry about a flash too much, and I would think that a tri/mono-podwould only be needed if you plan on shooting at night - you'll often find something to balance the camera on anyway like a wall or something.

Last bit of me babbling on now; I'd advise getting the camera as early as you can before you go. If you can't because it's a present, then see if you can borrow/rent a 350d or 400d so you can become completely comfortable with all of the options you have open to you so you can quickly choose the right settings for the right situations - you want to be able to just grab the camera and shoot as quickly as you can when you are on holiday so that you can enjoy your time there. You also need to be able to choose the right setting to take as many usable shot as possible. Oh, and budget for a good bag to lug it around in.

many thanks for the advice every one :)

will go with the 50 and the 10-20

regards memory cards are the sandisk extreme 3's worth getting ?

what would you say a few 2 gigs or am i better off going with a few 4 gigs

many thanks for the advice every one :)

will go with the 50 and the 10-20

regards memory cards are the sandisk extreme 3's worth getting ?

what would you say a few 2 gigs or am i better off going with a few 4 gigs

Personally I would go for Sandisk Ultra IIs if they are a bit cheaper, you won't use the extra speed of the Extreme IIIs. A few 2GBs is always safer imo, 4Gb is a lot of photos to lose.

better than the 12gb ones then :p

is there anything else you think i will need bags going to be a slingshot 200 or 300 a gorillapod slr zoom ??

just bought the body 30 seconds ago 400d kit 387 after cash back so quite happy now just need to order 50mm prime then maybe a 30mm prime too at some point

been reading some good tutorials on photo.net