ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my first drive (182)

RIMG0118.gif

I agree with your g/f mate, silvers a nice colour. Racing blue is slightly nicer though.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Why not save yourself some more and get a 172 for £5,000 ish? a mk2 172 is basically the same car, same interior, same exterior (apart from different wheels and no twin exhausts (different spoiler and no splitter if your compairing to a 182 with the cup spoiler pack) and performance is basically identical! Slightly different suspension (182 cup pack and 182cup have slightly lower and uprated suspension) but its not a night and day difference!

heres my mk2 172...

551792910a6546772822l.jpg

551792910a6546799511l.jpg

551792910a5461689175l.jpg

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
still thinking about a 172 or 182. i will save more money but if i bought a 172, but i would proberley want a 182 a few months later:S it's going to be hard parting with my ctr i bought it intending to keep it, but i need to buy a house now i'm coming up to 23.

VRS
heres my 182 with both cup packs in racing blue (just to try and tempt you into getting the blue lol)

the ctr is a lovely car and is on par with the 182 when it comes to speed, the 182 has more steering feel and is a more fun and involving drive but imo the ctr has the motorway cruise comfort in its favour

this is my second clio totaling 5 years of clio ownership and neither of mine have missed a beat :D

june2007006.jpg

june2007008.jpg

june2007005.jpg

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
heres my 182 with both cup packs in racing blue (just to try and tempt you into getting the blue lol)

the ctr is a lovely car and is on par with the 182 when it comes to speed, the 182 has more steering feel and is a more fun and involving drive but imo the ctr has the motorway cruise comfort in its favour

this is my second clio totaling 5 years of clio ownership and neither of mine have missed a beat :D

june2007006.jpg

june2007008.jpg

june2007005.jpg

i have never liked rb but this car is the only rb one in the world that makes me wish i had one

love this car sooooooo much

clio 200 F4Rt
the only advantage the CTR has over the clio is rear leg room.

Otherwise they are equal or the clio wins, come speed, handling, running costs, blah blah blah.

Its a buyers market, so find a few nice examples and get haggling!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
still thinking about a 172 or 182. i will save more money but if i bought a 172, but i would proberley want a 182 a few months later:S it's going to be hard parting with my ctr i bought it intending to keep it, but i need to buy a house now i'm coming up to 23.

to be honest the only reason i would buy a 182 over a 172 is if i prefered one of the colours! the 182 has more bold, colours that stand out (liquid yellow, racing blue, inferno orange) where the 172 is just monaco blue, flame red, iceberg silver and pearl black, which are all really nice colours but dont stand out too much!

the cars themselfs arnt really that different to drive to make you want 1 over the other, infact some say the MK1 is the most fun out of the lot (probably down to 15" wheels and lighter weight!)

BMW M135i
Notorious for the dash to light up like a xmas tree.
I have airbag, esp abs, serv lights come on and off daily.
really winds me up.
Of course I am slightly biased.....but definitely go for the racing blue.

ABS/ESP/SERV light will be the brake pedal switch wanting adjusting/replacing.
Airbag/SERV lights will be the connectors under the seats coming loose.

Hardly anything major. Both quick fixes.

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
sorry mate i hate the mg zs and all mg's lol. i just been to the garage where i drove the 182 and want it now, it's just like when i saw my ctr i had to buy it!

CTR
Keep the CTR. More reliable, more practical (you'll struggle to fit more than 1 suitcase in the boot of a Clio), more desirable. I bought my 182 after test driving both that and the CTR and personally felt that performance was on a par, and so couldn't really justify spending the extra on the CTR.

However, you've done that already, and now have a car that IMO will cost a lot less to run than a 1*2 of similar age in repairs (ok, CTR fuel economy's a bit lower).

Plus is 2.5k really gonna make that much difference in buying / furnishing a house...?

1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
i hear what alot of people are saying and you might be right in saying keep it, but as said £2500-3000 is quite handy espcially when the house need's gutting.

it's just a thought at the minitue. i have never owned a car as long as i have owned my ctr and just fancy a change, besides giving my gf a easier car for her too drive??

Because its an MG.

what kind of reason is that,i dont understand this attitude !
i had a brand new emerald green non touring 200sx s14 at v reg and yes it was a great car but i test drove a zs 180 shortly before i got rid of the 200sx and i was amazed ,handling on a zs 180 is in another street and it was quicker off the mark as you dont have to wait for a turbo to spool up,nissan was better built and looked better depending on your opinion but neither of those things would sway me over performance ability.
Nissan was fun through the corners steering with your right foot but ultimately in standard form its way to soft and it wont get you through a series of corners as fast or with as much confidence as a zs 180.

cock mobile.
it's just a thought at the minitue. i have never owned a car as long as i have owned my ctr and just fancy a change, besides giving my gf a easier car for her too drive??

Down to the drivers opinion of course but I'd say the CTR was the easier drive with the correct driving position, etc, etc.

Dave B: Not a bloody clue what a 200SX and a MG ZS have to do with a CTR and 182 thread?

And MG, cough, head gasket, the guy has a Honda he's use to solid reliability.

visualize whirled pe
Personally this is what I have done; If I were you I would just get a cheap car for a couple of years. You'll free up more than £3000 and you wont have to sweat a bucket load when your girlfriend starts learning to drive in it. You need not sacrifice power, I suppose there are plenty of cars for around £4000 which have some guts, if I was doing it again I'd buy a diesel though.

Before buying my house I could have walked straight into lotus with cash and driven out in a MK2 Exige
Here I am nearly two years later with a car which my missus has added the odd stone chip and parking dint to and yet I'm still glad I chose the more sensible option also I'm not on tinder hooks every time she takes the car out.

Clio 182
If your missus has only just started driving, my girlfriend does'nt drive but if I put her on my insurance 1 it would probably triple, 2 I would age at least 10 years on her first drive. (not because she is a girl but because of her driving experience) and I can see how you could save a couple of grand. You can pick up some very good clean examples (especially off this forum) for next to nothing. From quotes i've got, insurance on the 182 is cheaper and as for reliability, well i've only had 2 warranty claims in over 3.5 years of ownership. One was a rattling passenger seat and the other was a sensor on my aircon. Hardly major. Mines not missed a beat.

A guy I worked with had a CTR he got his a month before I got my 182 and from our discussions his MPG was a lot lower then min!

Down to the drivers opinion of course but I'd say the CTR was the easier drive with the correct driving position, etc, etc.

Dave B: Not a bloody clue what a 200SX and a MG ZS have to do with a CTR and 182 thread?

And MG, cough, head gasket, the guy has a Honda he's use to solid reliability.

sorry but your ill informed ,its the i.8 k series thats prone to to h.g ,the zs 180 has the kv6 engine and h.g failure is not an issue ,ive been on mg forums for about 4 years and ive only ever heard of 2 ,i bet i could find more h.g failures than that on here if i went back 4 years!
Mine is tracked very regulalry and i drive it extremely hard ,only thing thats ever broke was last week at bedford and it was a clutch hydraulic pipe ,ive since brought another one and fitted it for the grand total of 2 pounds 50p.

Last edited:
  1/4 mile 14.9 @ 92mph
no disrespect mate but i really dont like the look of the mg zs i like hot hatches (reason i have a ctr?) in my eyes the mg zs would be no better than my old vectra gsi v6??

mabye i should buy a cheaper car (mabye a diesel) then to save even more money?? i will just see what come's up.

thank's for all the help guy's really appracite it

VRS
im in a similar boat to you matey but tbh the savings will be minimal between the 2 cars (ctr and 182)

my thoughts are more towards looking for a mint standard example of a 106 gti or 306 gti or a vts

they are the only cars out there imo that will offer the same fun and thrill factor of a hot hatch but with a good saving of ££'s over the ctr and 172/182

keep the CTR, more reliable if your getting a house... cant see running costs being too different. I perfer the Clio for looks and power delivery, but cant beat Jap reliability imo