ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My Mk4 Golf GTi

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Some minor updates
Decided to pull my finger out and get to work on getting the car to the way I want it.
New shark fin aerial made a huge improvement to the aesthetic, function wise its about 75% performance/range of the normal antenna.
OLD:
IMG_3809_zpseyftibw6.jpg

NEW: I know this isnt the best pic
IMG_3812_zpsxzoi8fo6.jpg

Also want to get the sound system the way I want it. Rather than routing cables by tucking them under trim, I will be stripping the interior right to the shell and re laying the cables.
Its the longest but easiest way of doing a system as complicated as I have planned. All ready for CS though! :smilingimp:
IMG_3814_zpsvotpooeb.jpg

Also bought some Bora High line interior vents which look wayy more modern than the original. They are expensive for what they are but a popular mod and I can see why.

ORIGINAL:
IMG_3802_zpsrz3cjled.jpg

NEW:
IMG_3800_zpsnifxvqbh.jpg

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Well unfortunate sad news regarding the Golf...

The engine blew out on me so yeah I guess that's the end of that...

Full rebuild to follow, hopefully it gets done before CS16

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
How did it "blow"?

I have yet to take the block apart but...
- Before the engine went I heard a metal on metal sound (the timing belt was fine and did not slip)
- Compression testing revealed 200 psi on Cylinder 1-3, however cylinder 4 was 35 psi
- Using the 'oil down the spark plug test' it was narrowed down that the piston ring was 'fried'.
- When draining the oil the first half of it was anti-freeze before the oil came out (indicating a possible cracked head/block)

Fortunately I have bought another engine to which I will use as the replacement. With massive thanks to @STEVE.M for helping me with the engine swap and fault finding. Like I said earlier in the thread I like to try things myself and learn so this a HUGE learning curve :smile:

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Its been about 12 days now, since the engine sh@ itself.
Been a hectic 12 days constantly working on the car after work, wouldnt have it any other way.... well having a working car would be alright.

Day 1: Engine sh@ itself
Compression tested the cylinders, 200 PSI, 200 PSI, 200 PSI and then..
IMG_3825_zpss9ljbh4z.jpg

Cylinder number 4 is the issue, now what is wrong?
Further testing indicated it might be the Piston Rings so the engine was coming out.
Day 2: New Engine bought
IMG_3831_zps96ydusvz.jpg

VW AUM Engine slightly different to mine but intend to use the Block from it, bought cheap on a Sunday delievered within 40 minutes cant complain.
Day 4: Car Jacked up, started to unbolt and un-wire things
IMG_3876_zpsigf0zv8k.jpg

All fluids drained
Day 5: Wires,pipes almost fully removed and radiator removed
IMG_3888_zpso6hcubev.jpg

Day 6: Engine Removed
IMG_3907_zpsqxny5xbl.jpg

Day 7: Engine Ancillaries Removed
IMG_3927_zpsyljrmbdx.jpg

Day 8: Gearbox Removed
IMG_3928_zpsuxy8nyph.jpg

Day 9: Blown Engine dismantled to see what went wrong
Head removed and Pistons 1 and 4 should be top dead centre (TDC) and...
IMG_3950_zpsc5oogezl.jpg

Something clearly wrong here!
Taking the sump off revealed:
IMG_3967_zps1augcd3w.jpg

Shredded teeth on the Crankshaft sensor ring thingy. Which explains the grinding sound hear before the car died. Now what was grinding against it??
Well no surprise:
IMG_3971_zpsnzwro8h5.jpg

IMG_3978_zpsnqhh90kg.jpg

Going to make a nice paper weight, but I'll leave that for another thread.
What had happened was the Headgasket for some strange reason perished slightly allowing water to come into the block and was gradually filling it up. Eventually there was so much water and no where for it to go the Engine Hydro Locked and Bent Rod No.4.

More pics to follow as soon as I take them.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Long time no update...
Well its been 2 months since I last updated and I have good news to say the car is up and running. I'll continue the write up including pictures of the process :)
Cleaned up the pistons while they were out:
IMG_4093_zpsvygqpjso.jpg

Cleaned up 75% didnt do a 100% clean pic
IMG_4095_zpsbtn0616g.jpg

Sprayed the block with some Engine paint matte black
IMG_4098_zpshnzyuoer.jpg

Sprayed the rocker cover
IMG_4121_zpsbmd54i7s.jpg

Pistons in the block
IMG_4136_zpse7mwuzdn.jpg

New bearings
IMG_4144_zpso7cxjs2v.jpg

Crank in
IMG_4145_zpsqcuuyhec.jpg

General assembly of block
IMG_4150_zpsxcuhsia3.jpg

IMG_4154_zpstoldnge6.jpg

IMG_4175_zpsqdwuuoqh.jpg

Cylinder 1 and 4 at TDC
IMG_4184_zpsoi5btww7.jpg

Timing bits
IMG_4185_zpswjsdgxzj.jpg

Head
IMG_4192_zpssognbyn0.jpg

Cams in
IMG_4221_zpsyo3ovxpq.jpg

Looking so much like an engine now
IMG_4232_zpsgaffmuvg.jpg

Timing Belt
IMG_4246_zps1ivmoevv.jpg

Silicone piping for turbo
IMG_4271_zpsyithtw21.jpg

Timing covers
IMG_4279_zpsxpedlj8i.jpg

And after a long day the engine in the car :D
IMG_4308_zpsum8dpcjq.jpg

Done about 150 miles in the car so far. Taking it relatively easy at the moment. Cars taken off the road until 25th Septemeber for TRAX.
In the mean time I'll be fixing up the exterior and some cosmetics of the car.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
This build would have not have been done if it wasnt for the help of @STEVE.M incredible learnt so much and without his help dont think the engine would of started first time.

PH2 172
This build would have not have been done if it wasnt for the help of @STEVE.M incredible learnt so much and without his help dont think the engine would of started first time.
Thanks for the acknowledgement,but I just advised.It was your work that made it happen..Well done again.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
F*ck me why did I ever stop driving Golfs and get a Clio?
The amount i've spent on the dog kennel over the years I could have built a doomsday 20VT by now.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Only down side its a different driving experience. I love the go karted-ness of the Clio, the golf feels agile but not nearly as much as the Clio. It is a better build car with the doors making that 'doof' sound when you close them.
The power step ups in the Golf (from my understanding are as follows)
- Stage 1 150bhp to 180-200bhp (Remap, Intake, exhaust)
- Stage 1.5 200bhp to 230bhp (Silicone hoses, DECAT)
- Stage 2 230bhp-260bhp (KO3s turbo, FMIC, 3" MAF etc..)
- Stage 3 260bhp - 300bhp (KO4 turbo)
- Then forged, hybrid turbo, injectors, fuel pump etc.. you'll keep going up and up.
Don't quote me on the stages.

M90SR

ClioSport Club Member
Haven't updated in a while one would assume the cars been sent to the scrappy or one might assume I'd happily driving it around. Neither unfortunately.
Car is still at home and gets a tire rotation and a maintenance wash every now and then.

The plan currently is to rebuild the interior which gives me the opportunity to incorporate my sound system into the vehicle.
There was also a leak which caused the underlay behind the dash to become moldy.

So seeing as though I rebuilt the engine it only makes sense to just strip the interior and start from scratch. Essentially all I have done is create a track car, however I don't see it being a better car on track than the 182. Plus I wanna put some genuine non thrashing miles on the engine to warrant me rebuilding it.

Starts with the basics dash and carpet removal:
IMG_4884_zpsd7p7kwss.jpg

I then felt the need to take it for a drive whilst my first Clio (1.2 dynamique) engine replacement took place. (I blew that too....)
IMG_4971_zpske6t3j4r.jpg

The looks I would get when people looked into the car from traffic was hilarious. In my opinion the car was still safe to drive, seat belt and seat secured.
IMG_4976_zpscazvfhmg.jpg

Wave of the magic wand and...
IMG_4917_zpsifoq3acr.jpg

Internal Cross member out
16810734_10212430734702020_830116950_o_zps88g0mul3.jpg

Carpet underlay
17237054_10212632240619542_46941095_o_zpsxdxnfmgc.jpg

All stripped
17273592_10212633537451962_1882719652_o_zps1e0aipkx.jpg

Sound deadening for the firewall during its application
IMG_6542_zpsitfxsmix.jpg

IMG_6551_zpshozqaixp.jpg

I applied baking soda to the underlay to help remove the smell.

IMG_6552_zpsq3yxbwox.jpg

So thats pretty much where the car stands. I have been buying loads of parts for it regardless so lots more left to document on this build.
One things for sure a car I can say I fully rebuilt and probably one of the only cars I would have the pleasure in doing so.

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Love it, I had a Mk4 Golf TDI 130 after my CTR, and then again after my 182 (the same car, never sold it), despite the poor handling the engine and build quality were great imo, plenty of support and mods for them as well.