ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thought about getting it ceramic coated Dave, chances are I'll probably do it when my other engine is ready. We'll see how hot it gets, ran it up to temp yesterday hence its gone gold. Also moved the coolant bottle over to where the pas reservoir normally sits. I'm going to shroud the brake reservoir more and run a new heat shielded line to the catch tank.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421518986.593725.jpg

I think it's a little more raspy compared to with the 182 manifold fitted. Not sure if it's any louder, we'll find out at the first test, pms system before without cat or silencer was always 99/100db static.
Russ

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Very interested to see if this manifold offers any benefit vs a 182 manifold once dynod.
Will keep you updated Steve, it's going back on the same dyno it was mapped on originally at TDi in the next couple of weeks so I'll get a rough idea if there's any difference. Nick from pure reckons it will be better than a 172/182 manifold on any engine spec but it's obvioudly optimised for use with wilder cams etc.

Mark, obviously if you read the msa blue book every car after 2000 must run a cat, although they don't say if it has to work or give any specific emissions standards so how they police it is beyond me short of physically looking to see if there is one present, I have never been checked in 3 race series with 4 cars and neither had any other racer I know + my 172/182 mongrel was built in 1999 if anyone asks!:wink:
Russ

neil a

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good Russ , and interesting about the bearing in the shifter as mine has always been stiff since it got fitted and doesn't centralize.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Drove it out of the garage today, first time in a couple of months.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421604260.509813.jpg

Had a run around the block to check the gearbox etc was ok, all gears selected fine and the linkage kit/shifter is a totally different animal just a bit upset I didn't do something with it sooner as ive struggled with it for a whole season. Hopefully it'll be all good this year.

Grabbed a set of black series Powerflex rear shock top mounts this week to replace the oe mounts they're the only bush left on the whole car with any compliance left and I've been looking for a solution for ages, nearly got a set of nylon bushes machined up but seen these recently do thought I'd give them s try. Not a lot of excess movement to be prevented on that area but it keeps me happy.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421604508.332636.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421604521.796812.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421604667.358783.jpg

My box of 'new engine' bits isn't going well, only got an exhaust manifold gasket, thermostat housing gasket, flywheel bolts and clutch bolts so far!
Russ
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421604792.469773.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421604643.740507.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421604643.740507.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 25

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
WTF whats going on with tapatalk, there was more text and pics uploaded and it showed ok on my phone but its missing now on the laptop and i cant edit it, why can we not edit posts ffs aaaahhhh!!!!
Russ

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
On the manifold would be interesting to compare primary and secondary lengths vs the 182 manifold. Guessing the diameters are the same as the 182 is big already, especially compared to my super print on the F7R!

Would you mind posting a picture up of the rear top mounts once you've got those Powerflex rubbers on please.

Reason I ask is because on mine, because the washer is so chunky, the damper thread doesn't reach the nyloc in the nut properly... So would be good to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_5776.JPG
    IMG_5776.JPG
    549 KB · Views: 92

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Would you mind posting a picture up of the rear top mounts once you've got those Powerflex rubbers on please.

Reason I ask is because on mine, because the washer is so chunky, the damper thread doesn't reach the nyloc in the nut properly... So would be good to hear your thoughts.
Nipped mine up so the top of the shaft is flush with the top of the nut but yeah know what you mean. I'll get a pic.
Russ

clio cup
Mine have sat in my spares box for 6 months. Might fit them for this year, lol
Assumption being the mother of all f##k ups and all that

Renault Clio 172
I would like to try one as I have heard great things about them once they are set up right. It's the price and awkward setup that's putting me off jumping in.
Might be a late opinion on this, but I've put the PMS shifter in, and don't really like it. The position is okay, but I find it difficult to find all the gears. Probably needs a tweak on the set up, but my first outing I wasn't that impressed.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Might be a late opinion on this, but I've put the PMS shifter in, and don't really like it. The position is okay, but I find it difficult to find all the gears. Probably needs a tweak on the set up, but my first outing I wasn't that impressed.
Yeah that's the worst thing, can be difficult to tell where certain gears are. Mine is night and day now compared to how it was before I changed the bearing, there's less resistance so means you can feel your way around the gate unlike before where every movement was stiff and notchy.
Russ

Renault Clio 172
Yeah that's the worst thing, can be difficult to tell where certain gears are. Mine is night and day now compared to how it was before I changed the bearing, there's less resistance so means you can feel your way around the gate unlike before where every movement was stiff and notchy.
Russ
Some help with that would be much appreciated at the Launch day, if there's a chance :)

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Some help with that would be much appreciated at the Launch day, if there's a chance :)
Get on your back and tweak it! It's not hard just a ball ache and it didn't help I did mine outside in torrential rain. I've put a couple of posts up on how I set mine, you could probably find them with a quick search.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Not a lot happening but if you've been paying attention you may have noticed that I've sold all my honda shell and parts, just waiting for the roll cage to be collected. I just haven't got the time or money to build another high spec race car at the minute + I think I should really be developing the clio some more so I can compete with the Hondas and ex touring cars in other series.

I do have a couple of other things on the go too which doesn't help first one is a sprinter that's going to be the new race weekend transport and accommodation. It's currently being prepped for some bodywork and I have a garage full of new bits ready to bolts on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640115.673772.jpg

New tinted side windows
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640142.874478.jpg

Loads of bits to freshen it up, some alloys, new original lights, bumper and trim bits need to get an awning ready for the start of the season but the interior conversion will get done through the season when I have time/money.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640296.669992.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640375.980827.jpg

Also going to pick a nice clio up tomorrow for a fast road car.

As far as the race car is concerned ive been gathering bits to alter the catch tank breather to move it away from the new exhaust manifold.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640728.025367.jpg

The breather plate is going to have a male fitting welded on the top and the oe outlet cut back and welded up.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640702.904474.jpg

Got the relevant adapter for the catch tank
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640759.976311.jpg

And made a new hose up with x2 90 degree alloy bends.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640794.045964.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640808.963843.jpg

All sorted, just needed those bits welded now.
Russ
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422640851.455015.jpg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Just my opinion Russ, but your gonna need a lot of horsepower and potentially a lot more suspension work to keep up with the Hondas/ex touring cars.
I'm sure your all to aware of this though already mate. I'm all in favour of taking the fight to the big boys though! Let me know if I can be of assistance with anything.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
The extra horse power is on the cards mark don't worry, but the ex prod btcc cars aren't all that much faster, it's the Hondas that are the problem hence why I was building the civic, they make a lot of power easily and they've got a lot more mechanical grip. The clio is a lot lighter though!
Russ

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The extra horse power is on the cards mark don't worry, but the ex prod btcc cars aren't all that much faster, it's the Hondas that are the problem hence why I was building the civic, they make a lot of power easily and they've got a lot more mechanical grip. The clio is a lot lighter though!
Russ
Yeah I know mate, but I think your going to need 260+ for a fighting chance personally. Agree with the mechanical grip as well. A proper sorted lightweight 197 is the way forward imo. The chassis is more than good enough to compete with the Hondas

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I know mate, but I think your going to need 260+ for a fighting chance personally. Agree with the mechanical grip as well. A proper sorted lightweight 197 is the way forward imo. The chassis is more than good enough to compete with the Hondas
I'll be a bit off 260bhp I'm afraid, I think getting a reliable f4r to do those kind of numbers would make my eyes water in terms of money! It's new crank and solid lifter territory and I could never justify that.
Yeah I agree with the 197, ive raced Kevs Tricolore 200 at donington in tintops and its good fun but slow in a straight line needs a lot more power and I think you'll struggle to get it to a sensible kerb weight as the shell and running gear are so much heavier than in a 172/182.
Russ