ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My R27 problems, what are your thoughts on this?

Clio F1 R27
I bought the car last Tuesday from my local dealer. It's an exdemo with 5k on the clock.
First problem was some idiot in their workshop had left the oil cap off and it was resting upside down on the plastic drainage part at the top of the engine!
After driving it 60 miles I could smell smoke and I recon I just got to it in time!

Now I've been noticing small creaks coming from the dash every so often. Also my drivers Recaro seat is creaking loads, like the springs are knackared! I weight 16.5 so perhaps that's my fault but I'm pretty careful with the car and never had this problem with any other car seat.

After much hassle and getting Renault involved the dealer has agreed to sort the dash and seat under warranty, but they want the car for a week!?

I'm considering telling them to leave the dash as it's only a little creak and maybe I'm being fussy. I don't really want them having my car for a week, I just don't trust them with it as it might get taken home and ragged by some little t**t.

I hate these theiving b******s...

What are peoples thoughts? I would appreciate opinions..

Many thanks.

Silver 172 cup
When you hand it over get someone to walk round the car with you and get them to record the mileage. Then you can prove if they have taken it out for and extended period.

172 mk2 Iceberg
yup its french so its gonna make some noise.......... do you think the dash can be inproved ? the seat mech noise can be replaced i guess its up to how important the small niggles are to you

Clio F1 R27
Yeah cool, I'm gonna do that.

The problem is I don't know how good the dashes are on other 197's. My old 172 used to rattle here and there but I thought this would be spot on. It's only small little creaks when you go over certain bumps. I just expected it to be really solid, which it is but maybe I should just ignore this little creak as it's only minor.

The seat is definately a problem...

Do you think they have the right to take my car home or should they just run it around during working hours. I got the impression from my phone call that some guy was gonna keep it for the week to sort out the rattle!!

the squeaky recaro seats are a well-known issue with the 197s.

i think there is a fix, but it can take a while for the technician to loacte the exact offending area.

do u know exactly where your dash rattle is coming from? i ask because there are a couple of spots which other owners have had, and that they were able to fix up themselves without letting a renault monkey loose on it.

as for the oil cap thing, just sounds like a bunch of idiots at the dealership, so i'd be weary abt taking it back there.

Clio F1 R27
Hi mate, thanks for your reply. The creak is coming from the right, near where the tweater is kinda around that area where the air vent its. The centre display with the speedometer also rattles sometimes.

hmm...

is there any possibility it could be coming from the right grommet that you see when u open your driver's door?

its quite close to the tweeter area i suppose....

but thats one of the areas owners have fixed, i think they stick an extra rubber grommet in to rectify it.

i might be talkin utter pish, cos my memory of that area is a bit hazy.

would go down and have look at mine now, but its cold and dark :eek:

not sure abt the speedo, never heard of that one.... think that'll have to be a dealer job.... a refit i guess.

hope that helps.....

Clio F1 R27
hmm...

is there any possibility it could be coming from the right grommet that you see when u open your driver's door?

its quite close to the tweeter area i suppose....

but thats one of the areas owners have fixed, i think they stick an extra rubber grommet in to rectify it.

i might be talkin utter pish, cos my memory of that area is a bit hazy.

would go down and have look at mine now, but its cold and dark :eek:

not sure abt the speedo, never heard of that one.... think that'll have to be a dealer job.... a refit i guess.

hope that helps.....

Thanks alot for that mate. I'm not near my car either! lol but would you mind if I pm you another day just to clarify where this little grommit is.

I'm definately not letting this dealer touch my dash, they can fix the seat and that's it. I don't trust them with my car for a week, they'll be raggin it on an empty fuel tank for sure as the salesmen do it to their used and demo cars every night.

Don't get annoyed with me stevo but imo the best recourse for you is to get a refund, even if it costs you a few quid. That 197s just aint got the redeeming features of previos RS models, but it seems they have all the same bad points.

Clio F1 R27
Don't get annoyed with me stevo but imo the best recourse for you is to get a refund, even if it costs you a few quid. That 197s just aint got the redeeming features of previos RS models, but it seems they have all the same bad points.

I wouldn't get annoyed with your opinion because that's all amounts to. I would completely disagree with you about the 197 and would be interested to know if you own one?

I have owned a 172 Cup and a 172 Sport. Both of them were great cars, but they were riddled with faults, were tiring to drive and need constant care and attention.

The 197 is in a completely different league in terms of comfort, quality, handling and ability. Tiff Needals opinion of this car is completely spot on and I can't see how you or I can argue with that guy.

You don't see many 197 owners selling their cars. Take a look at the forums on www.197.com or www.renaultsport.co.uk. The 197 is an awesome car and everyone I know who has one loves them.

I'm sorry to say that haters are becoming starved of their numbers. More people are buying 197's and realising opinions are like arseholes and the truth is in the reviews and from those of us who actually drive the car everyday!

Last edited:
LOL I've never been to the moon but I know its not made of green cheese. The 197 is not ''an awesome car'' and you are pathetically reiterating the same hackneyed apologisms for a motor who's feet of clay will soon be revealed.

Clio F1 R27
LOL I've never been to the moon but I know its not made of green cheese. The 197 is not ''an awesome car'' and you are pathetically reiterating the same hackneyed apologisms for a motor who's feet of clay will soon be revealed.

And who are you to judge whether it is an awesome I wonder...Perhaps you could argue that point on an episode of 5th gear lol

You still havn't told me whether you own one?

When are these feet of clay going to be revealed I wonder? haha Perhaps you are going to show me this grand event around the corners of Bedford in your ????

Mini Cooper S sport

Why are you on Cliosport? Just curious.

I think the 197 is a great car - looks the nuts, isn't that pricey, handles well.

I don't want one myself, but I wouldn't slate it - they're great cars as far as I can see.

Suzuki Swift Sport
I have had mine a day - (R27) there is the odd little creak - but who cares! nearly every car ive been in (even bmw's) have not been perfect, when your having so much fun behind the wheel the odd creak or rattle here or there isnt going to distract from the experience in my opinion! :)

C63 AMG
I have owned a 182, a 197 and now a Trophy. They have all - even the brand new 197, which I owned for merely a month - had annoying rattles and imperfections. They are idiosyncracies of the brand.

Deja vu 182
I didn tlike the 197 when they first came out but my next car is definately a 197 cup (getting excited at the thought) . You want to hear the rattles in my 182 just aswell they go away at 5000rpm ;)

dk

911 GTS Cab
you are going to get rattles and creaks in a taught car like the 197, its a hot hatch, not a Bentley!

As for being worried about the dealer having the car for a week, i wouldn't worry too much if it gets sorted as they have had it for months as a demo anyway so you already know loads of people have driven it and hammered it from delivery and cold anyway and it didn't stop you buying the car in the first place so i really wouldn't worry.

My dealer had my car for a week recently and they took great care of it.

White 197
I bought the car last Tuesday from my local dealer. It's an exdemo with 5k on the clock.
First problem was some idiot in their workshop had left the oil cap off and it was resting upside down on the plastic drainage part at the top of the engine!
After driving it 60 miles I could smell smoke and I recon I just got to it in time!

Now I've been noticing small creaks coming from the dash every so often. Also my drivers Recaro seat is creaking loads, like the springs are knackared! I weight 16.5 so perhaps that's my fault but I'm pretty careful with the car and never had this problem with any other car seat.

After much hassle and getting Renault involved the dealer has agreed to sort the dash and seat under warranty, but they want the car for a week!?

I'm considering telling them to leave the dash as it's only a little creak and maybe I'm being fussy. I don't really want them having my car for a week, I just don't trust them with it as it might get taken home and ragged by some little tw*t.

I hate these theiving b*****ds...

Many thanks.

Stevo, where did you buy it from in Wiltshire.

We have had 2 197's and neither of them have had creaking dash's.

Clio F1 R27

I'm considering telling them to leave the dash as it's only a little creak and maybe I'm being fussy. I don't really want them having my car for a week, I just don't trust them with it as it might get taken home and ragged by some little tw*t.

Many thanks.

Stevo, where did you buy it from in Wiltshire.

Don't really want to say on here as I don't wanna cause problems for myself or spread rumours about the dealer. I can pm you the name, if you're in Melksham you may have dealt with them.

M135i

Many thanks.

dont be so bloody silly.

Golf GTI PP Mk7

Many thanks.

dont be so bloody silly.

he speaks the truth, you dealer folk cant be trusted :rasp:

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
So your telling me the dealer will drive my car harder than me , thats b****cks.

But what do you expect from CS:dapprove:

FFS it's only a Renault get real!