ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nankang

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
There's a lot more to it than just treadware ratings, you can only really use them for comparison between the same tyre, so the 120 NS2-R is going to wear faster (and therefore is likely to be grippier than) the 180. Most track tyres don't do well on the treadware test because they're crazy soft.

The 180 NS2-R's are good, very consistent, but I certainly wouldn't say they're as grippy as an AD08R. My Pilot Sport Cup 2's are grippier than either of them and they've got a treadware rating of two hundred and something IIRC.

All treadware tells you is how much of a tyre is used by driving 7,500 miles in Texas or some such thing, can't remember the exact details now. Honestly, I'm not kidding, google it!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
There's a lot more to it than just treadware ratings, you can only really use them for comparison between the same tyre, so the 120 NS2-R is going to wear faster (and therefore is likely to be grippier than) the 180. Most track tyres don't do well on the treadware test because they're crazy soft.

The 180 NS2-R's are good, very consistent, but I certainly wouldn't say they're as grippy as an AD08R. My Pilot Sport Cup 2's are grippier than either of them and they've got a treadware rating of two hundred and something IIRC.

All treadware tells you is how much of a tyre is used by driving 7,500 miles in Texas or some such thing, can't remember the exact details now. Honestly, I'm not kidding, google it!

Isn't that the point of tread wear ratings?

To give you a rule of thumb saying "120 is softer than 180 so is grippier"

Lol at 7500 miles in Texas. I'll have a look later.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
20140424_131340_zpssubdnzyq.jpg

Been rolling on my Subaru for ages now they have been superb:up:,can't fault them....SJ.

charltjr

ClioSport Club Member
I really rate them.
Isn't that the point of tread wear ratings?

To give you a rule of thumb saying "120 is softer than 180 so is grippier"

Lol at 7500 miles in Texas. I'll have a look later.

That's what I always thought, but turns out it doesn't really work that way. You can have a tyre which does more miles and grips better than another tyre with a lower tread wear rating, it's all down to the exact compound and construction.

But yes if the exact same tyre comes in different compounds then the lower tread ware tyre is going to be grippier because it's softer. You can't compare across different tyres though. The PSC2's absolutely destroy the NS2-R 180 for grip, completely murder them, and their tread wear rating is considerably higher.

Found the link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treadwear_rating

197 F1 / Disco 3
Ok update

Stripping axle and found knackered shock on passenger side , doesn't help with the damage but explains the crash !!!
Only the French could use bolts to hold on an axle 1.5 inches longer than needed, threads full of crap and rust so air gun them off I think ... Does any one know if they are special or can you use ordinary bolts ???

James363

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I found my current set on ebay slightly used for 140 quid. 195/50 r15, with about 6.8-7 mm of tread. I really like them for road rallying, but keeping the temperature in them on dirty and often wet roads is a bit of a challenge, so next time I would be tempted to go for 120 compound.

197was/second 182is
I'd like to try some NS-2R for Sprinting. Where's the best place to buy them?
Deamon tweeks cheapest at the moment... But ready for despatch in couple days. Camskill haven't got any and cancel my order. I'm Talking about 205/45/16 treadwear 120.

Federals ready for Lydden hill on saturday :smile:

Attachments

• 1460646157081.jpg
    1460646157081.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Deamon tweeks cheapest at the moment... But ready for despatch in couple days. Camskill haven't got any and cancel my order. I'm Talking about 205/45/16 treadwear 120.

Federals ready for Lydden hill on saturday :smile:

I read on another forum that Nankang had stopped production of the 120, now selling 180 and the new AR1 which is 100 iirc

BG182 + M3
Absolutely love my 120 ns2r though I did have to order them from Germany as could only get the 180 in the uk.

The most shocking part is how well they perform in the wet, they feel like a decent wet tyre not a semi slick!

RB Clio 182
Absolutely love my 120 ns2r though I did have to order them from Germany as could only get the 180 in the uk.

The most shocking part is how well they perform in the wet, they feel like a decent wet tyre not a semi slick!

What's the best compound to go for for fast road use in these tyres?

BG182 + M3
Definetly the 120 though they are more expensive and harder to get hold of in 16s anyway but totally worth it.

SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
  SI-STI 2.35 & RC-172
I Forgot to add that the 120 compound is softer and does wear down quicker but not significantly so,but the 120 tire has more silica added to the compound but comes with less grip depth then the 180 compound so if you are looking a dedicated track tire I would lean more on the 120 or go for the 180 compound for a more durable all round tire that can work well on road or track.SJ.