ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NAS Problem.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I got myself a Synology NAS for Christmas, so went about setting it up at my parents house (transferring across movies/ music/ photos and setting up Time Machine.

I've just got back after the Christmas break and plugged it into the back of my router at home, and now I can't find it on my network. All the lights on the front of it say it should be working fine, but nothing I do will enable me to find it on my network.

Completely stuck and google isn't of much help either. Could any of you technical Guru's point me in the right direction?

Thank you!

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Did you give it a static ip at your parents?
Not sure! I just plugged it in and followed the Wizard. I had a look on find.synology.me and it finds it but won't connect to it.
I logged in to my router and had a look at what was connected to it and I can only see my Sky box. Off to do a bit more faffing with it.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Won't connect to it? Because your details are wrong? Or just won't connect? I had the wrong details early days before realising that the username is "Admin" assuming you're using the defaults.

Firewall problem maybe? If it can be found but not connect.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Dhcp enabled, or did you give it an IP address at parents? If so try pinging that??

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
As above it really does sound like you have an IP address issue. If you have the possibility of logging on to your router to see "attached devices" do that and see if it is listed. Your parents probably have a 192.168.1.x range and you have 192.168.0.x .

What I would do is phone mum or dad and ask them to bring up a command prompt (press windows key + r ) and type cmd
type ipconfig and press enter and ask then what their ip address is. write it down and hang up on them.

if it is different to your home range then log on to your router and change the range to match your parents. after that you should be able to see the NAS . you have the option then of changing the ip address on the NAS to match your old range and then revert the range on the router.

there are other ways too but that is proably the easiest for you.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
@The Boosh! can I ask a favour, bit random but....if that is your car in your avatar pic - I noticed it has the pinky purple solar tinted windscreen which is quite a rare windscreen on clios (i think) . can you see if it has any part number markings on it as I want to get one when I replace my windscreen.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Thanks all for your input. With the help of @Nik i managed to fix it. You were right, it was looking to the wrong IP address. Holding the reset button on the back of the Synology reset all of the network settings.

Now all I need to do is work out how to port forward on my BT Homehub to get it set up properly. It's taking a bit of doing!

@optical - It is an OEM windscreen- They all came out of factory with them. When you replace your windscreen they'll ask you lots of Qs about what replacement you want, just tell them you want OEM and they'll order from Renault.

Reactions: Gus

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Thanks mate.
Homehub port forwarding is a pain. trick is to put the port number in all 4 boxes. Get Nik to teamviewer on to your laptop to do it.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ive found them ok, but some have quirks where dchp needs to be kept enabled on the machine, even though its kept as a static address in the router settings... very strange.

(had this with various HH3 and my own 5 at home especially A type firmware)

DCi
Ive found them ok, but some have quirks where dchp needs to be kept enabled on the machine, even though its kept as a static address in the router settings... very strange.

(had this with various HH3 and my own 5 at home especially A type firmware)
When you set a static address in a router the device still says tell me my address via dhcp please

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
Got it all working in the end :) Could someone with a Synology NAS please take a look in their 'Movies' shared folder? Has Video station created 3 sub folders in that? (Movies, TV Shows, Home Media)? I'm having a problem where Video files won't show on my PS3 or LG TV and I think it has something to do with the folder structure that Video Station has set up.

Skoda Fabia vRS
go into video station settings, you can tell it where to look for different categories, I had the same problem !