ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need a Wax...

In my cleaning box i have the following:

Polish: AutoGlym SRP
Sealant: AutoGlym EGP

now from reading this forum i know that i will need a wax over the EGP, so what do you all suggest?

I have some Meguirs Gold Class Clearcoat Paste wax, and some Turtlewax Extreme Nano-tech polishing wax which i got free with my EVO subscription. Are these any good? if not, suggest me a good wax :)

thanks.

mk4 golf gttdi180
what colour is your car if black pearl silver or similar colours go for mer works ace and you can put a cap full in your bucket and relift when it goes a bit dull

106 GTi
Gold Class contains Cleaners so will remove some of the EGP so I would not recommend that.

No experience of the TW, but the fact it is called a polishing wax, suggests it also contains some polishing agents that will remove the EGP.

You don't need to put a wax over the EGP but it will add to the looks. Needs to be a pure Carnuba without an polishes and cleaners in it.

As to which one depends on Budget really:

Under £20 - P21s
Under £30 - Chemical Guys 50/50
Under £40 - Swissvax Onyx.

I would get the later tbh.

excellent, gold class and turtle wax shall be binned. they were free anyway.

just ordered some of that Zymbol Royale Ralph suggested, looks good.

on a serious note, ive heard P21s being mentioned lots on here... must be good. The others you suggested Rich are a bit expensive for an ameteur like me i think.

what colour is your car if black pearl silver or similar colours go for mer works ace and you can put a cap full in your bucket and relift when it goes a bit dull

my car is a rather dull, boring, inferno orange ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Gold Class contains Cleaners so will remove some of the EGP so I would not recommend that.

No experience of the TW, but the fact it is called a polishing wax, suggests it also contains some polishing agents that will remove the EGP.

You don't need to put a wax over the EGP but it will add to the looks. Needs to be a pure Carnuba without an polishes and cleaners in it.

Under £20 - P21s

I've got some of the original Gold glass! - It's brilliant! They changed the formula i believe and it was rubbish!

I use 50/50 and can't fault it, tried Megs #16 the other day and it was just a little hard imo.
P21s is horrible - hell it doesn't even smell nice! ;)

If you want something to try on the inferno why not try this: Don't think Rich has tried it either and i'm keen to know what it's like aswell.

http://www.seriousperformance.co.uk/Products,51,toView_334.html

106 GTi

Under £20 - P21s

I've got some of the original Gold glass! - It's brilliant! They changed the formula i believe and it was rubbish!

I use 50/50 and can't fault it, tried Megs #16 the other day and it was just a little hard imo.

If you want something to try on the inferno why not try this: Don't think Rich has tried it either and i'm keen to know what it's like aswell.

50/50 looks very alike to the P21s to me, just lasts longer than the 2 weeks tops P21s, but over a sealant this is not an issue.. Neither smell nice though!

16 is a pain to use, only wax I use by PC to apply it super thin.

Dodo's are worth a look, the s**t marketing initally put me off, was going to try the Purple one, but have something new on the way to use pre-Trax.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

50/50 looks very alike to the P21s to me, just lasts longer than the later. Neither smell nice though!

Pete's 53# smells nice tho!

You apply wax on a pc pad...? Never tried that before...But never really had a need.

Seein as you edited your post...lol. Aye the marketing did come across a bit gash! Purple is what i'd use aswell, 'apparently' slightly better on darker shades.

You bought the swissvax one didn't you?

ok, the 50/50 is only a few quid more, i'll get that...

how do i apply it, the tub doesnt look big enough to get a foam applicator into when it gets low?

106 GTi
50/50 looks very alike to the P21s to me, just lasts longer than the later. Neither smell nice though!

You apply wax on a pc pad...? Never tried that before...But never really had a need.

Seein as you edited your post...lol. Aye the marketing did come across a bit gash! Purple is what i'd use aswell, 'apparently' slightly better on darker shades.

Not tried the 53 as I have loads of 50/50 left, much difference ?

BOS, Onyx, Saphir now they smell good !

Black LC or Sonus Blue 4 inch spot pads both work well and easily fit in the 16 tin.

106 GTi
ok, the 50/50 is only a few quid more, i'll get that...

how do i apply it, the tub doesnt look big enough to get a foam applicator into when it gets low?

Fold the app in half and it will fit. The waxes go quite soft when warm, I tend to use my fingers to remove it from the tub and apply it to the applicator that way but I am a weirdo. Brazo looked at me funny when he saw me do it when at a detail together.

the 50/50 doesnt mention anything about Carnuba... from my little knowlege i thought carnuba was best?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Black LC or Sonus Blue 4 inch spot pads both work well and easily fit in the 16 tin.

Only 4in pads i've got is a cutting and i'm not going to use that.

Dan, foam applicator will be fine, you really don't need much at all.

The 53 apply's easier and i think it's better for layerin. But the 50/50 Defo lasts longer, applyed it on my old dears VW and it's still lookin good! 53# is great for a quick wash and a 20min wax!

106 GTi

The 53 apply's easier and i think it's better for layerin. But the 50/50 Defo lasts longer, applyed it on my old dears VW and it's still lookin good! 53# is great for a quick wash and a 20min wax!

LOL get some other grades lad, thought they would be a must on the Vee's shape ?

Cheers :)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
the 50/50 doesnt mention anything about Carnuba... from my little knowlege i thought carnuba was best?

It is Carnuba. It's just got slightly different chemical agents in it to the xxx and 53#...Or so david says. I'm going up to his tomo, Need a couple more bits and pieces.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

LOL get some other grades lad, thought they would be a must on the Vee's shape ?

You be surprised mate...You need to change the pad from a 6-4 on every pannel, but when i was cutting mine bak i only used the orange edge. Then ran over the car with a sonus blue 6, It's dead soft so you can use the edges fairly easily.

In parts tho, you have to polish by hand, the rear lights, the door corners and the vents! Bloody car! - Got colin's this friday - can't wait.....

106 GTi

You be surprised mate...You need to change the pad from a 6-4 on every pannel, but when i was cutting mine bak i only used the orange edge. Then ran over the car with a sonus blue 6, It's dead soft so you can use the edges fairly easily.

In parts tho, you have to polish by hand, the rear lights, the door corners and the vents! Bloody car! - Got colin's this friday - can't wait.....

Brazo did one said it was a pain.

Black aswell, good luck mate.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS

Brazo did one said it was a pain.

Black aswell, good luck mate.

I said to him earlier, you better be here early! lol No matter how long you dry the car for after 2-3days of polishing water appears! - Out of thin air!

you can only pay by Cash, Cheque or Paypal on carwashnwax.... how rubbish is that!

managed to guess a discount code though :) lol

Suzuki SV650
god im confused, i thought a wax went underneath a sealant (autoglym egp for example)? but it goes on last?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
god im confused, i thought a wax went underneath a sealant (autoglym egp for example)? but it goes on last?

no.

Wash-Polish-glaze-seal-wax

EGP will be your 4th step. The waxes discussed in this thread should be one of your top coats.

zymol waxes are good, only used the carbon wax myself, Spk to "The detailer" on here as he sells alot of products.

wouldn't say 53# is useless either, on racing blue the colour simply won't do any expensive wax any justice.

in other words you could use Oynx or 53 and i doubt you'd notice a difference in finish.

Mito Sportiva 135

50/50 looks very alike to the P21s to me, just lasts longer than the 2 weeks tops P21s, but over a sealant this is not an issue.. Neither smell nice though!

Dodo's are worth a look, the s**t marketing initally put me off, was going to try the Purple one, but have something new on the way to use pre-Trax.

Sorry to be pedantic but it was their advertising and packaging that was lame... not their whole marketing strategy Rich! :eek:

That Mystery wax must be the nuts though... must be pretty amazing considering the Onyx is £40 and this is pushing £300...I was kind of hoping it transformed into a giant robot...