ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need cambelt and dephaser doing Yorkshire

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Hi all,

As the title states I need to do my cambelt, I will be taking my engine out to go into my newer, better shell and will need my cambelt doing so might as well do it while its out.

I would love it if any of you kind and lovely gents/lasses would come and offer a hand, I don't have the timing tools but I have cash and beer as a substitute instead haha. I will be buying the kit from RPD while its on sale too.

I could load the engine into the back of my dCi and take it pretty much anywhere if anyone is willing to offer their expertise. I have a few mates that could do it but I've never driven a car they've timed up and would much prefer someone that's more confident with their work. I know the general gist in doing cambelts as I've done my own on my dCi but an untrained monkey could do that and if it goes bang I have a spare engine anyway haha.

If anyone is willing to help I'd hugely appreciate it! I'm also based in Yorkshire and the engine can be put on a stand at my dads house in Doncaster.

Cheers

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Anything would be a help, I don’t mind paying for it done right.

The cambelt and dephaser kit on RPD for £200 doesn’t look like it comes with a crank bolt which is weird.

And would either of you suggest going for a Megan’s Keyed crank pulley while the engine is out?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan's cast offs.
no real need for keyed pulley but if you don't mind paying for one then worth chucking on.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I was thinking of going boost in the future which would make it easier for me as I’ll be setting it all up myself as I don’t mind doing that stuff.

Just don’t fancy tackling the belts just yet.

@bloke I’m tempted to bring it down to you as Danny said his car ran like stink on your timing with his cams etc

dan's cast offs.
And if you're going boost then don't bother with the 197 cams, they'll have to come back out.

Could do group n timing? At least that way if you go boosted all you'll have to do is set timing back to stanfard.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I'm in 2 minds whether to get the belts done on this engine and then buy another in 6 months time for boost.

Or whether to just leave it as it is and keep it semi standard and just enjoy it...

I'll pm you anyway mate

leeds_182

North Yorkshire & Humber
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm in 2 minds whether to get the belts done on this engine and then buy another in 6 months time for boost.

Or whether to just leave it as it is and keep it semi standard and just enjoy it...

I'll pm you anyway mate

Should read;

I’m in two minds as to whether I should boost it, ruin the car, put myself in debt and never be able to drive it for fear of it breaking or just get the belt done and enjoy it for what it is.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Should read;

I’m in two minds as to whether I should boost it, ruin the car, put myself in debt and never be able to drive it for fear of it breaking or just get the belt done and enjoy it for what it is.

This is my current dilemna to be fair. I keep thinking more power more problems enjoy it for what it is especially after years of running high maintenance turbo cars. Miss the torque though.

dan's cast offs.
if you start with a decent engine, do a proper job on a conversion including mapping and the correct size turbo for the power that's suitable then no reason whatsoever why a boosted conversion would be unreliable etc.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
if you start with a decent engine, do a proper job on a conversion including mapping and the correct size turbo for the power that's suitable then no reason whatsoever why a boosted conversion would be unreliable etc.

The engine reliability does not really bother me, i know a well set up f4r is quite bulletproof as ran them in the meganes for a few years without issue. Its the gearbox that puts me off - ive blown up a jb3 or ten over the years and my current jc5 is knackered. The next step up to vag box is a massive spend. If i do it im swinging towards meg lump and NDO for cheaper lsd.

dan's cast offs.
The engine reliability does not really bother me, i know a well set up f4r is quite bulletproof as ran them in the meganes for a few years without issue. Its the gearbox that puts me off - ive blown up a jb3 or ten over the years and my current jc5 is knackered. The next step up to vag box is a massive spend. If i do it im swinging towards meg lump and NDO for cheaper lsd.

when you look at the cost of a vag box and how cheap diffs etc are for them it's not that costly in the scheme of things. you can even use the o2j and stick with cable clutch and fwir slightly better ratios for boost.

we looked at 6 speed reno box ratios for my lads twingo but ended up going with a dci 5 speed as the ratios/gearing were more suited to boost.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Should read;

Cross the debt part out, I don’t have kids and don’t do drugs/drink/smoke[emoji23]

But everything else... pretty much[emoji23][emoji23]

1985michael182

ClioSport Club Member
I can vouch for group N timing.
170lbs ft, stock internals and 197bhp at EFI yesterday.
48mm jenveys
225 injectors
182 mani
Gen 90 ecu
M8 with JMS RS2 stock everything else on a 172 cup got 194bhp 151lbs ft.
Group N timing would have seen 160lbs ft