ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Apple products today...

So far:

New iPod Touch software, includes mail, maps, notes $20 to upgrade.
Wonder when we will see this in the UK?

iTunes movie rentals (USA only at present $3/$4 for 24hrs.)
Any sort of movies would be nice in the UK

20th Century Fox DVD's Rip to ipods using itunes.
That will be a US only agreement they've signed then

Seriously, iTunes is soooooo poor here compared to what they get in the US. An iPod Touch actually makes a certain amount of sense over there, but here all I can officially get is a few TV shows costing far more than the DVD equivalent and video Podcasts.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So far:

New iPod Touch software, includes mail, maps, notes $20 to upgrade.
Wonder when we will see this in the UK?

iTunes movie rentals (USA only at present $3/$4 for 24hrs.)
Any sort of movies would be nice in the UK

20th Century Fox DVD's Rip to ipods using itunes.
That will be a US only agreement they've signed then

Seriously, iTunes is soooooo poor here compared to what they get in the US. An iPod Touch actually makes a certain amount of sense over there, but here all I can officially get is a few TV shows costing far more than the DVD equivalent and video Podcasts.

I have a US account, so im not bothered.
Its easy enough to do.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Nah you are right, cool though.
1 usb port is sucky.

I want that trackpad!!

its cool but a it will get lost and b why didnt they intigrate a phone in it would only be slightly larger than an iphone :p

Its going to be a pricey envelope when Apple convert $ to £. I'm guessing with optical drive you'll be looking at £1250 - £1400

I have a US account, so im not bothered.
Its easy enough to do.

Do you not need a US billing address that matches the billing address on your card? A quick web search shows that plenty of people would like to do it but haven't been able to, so whilst you're not bothered it would be nice for the other 99.9% of UK iTunes users if we got some good video content.

haw-he-haw, une-sept-deux
Ridiculous. For that price, I'd buy two Dells of better spec, and throw one at an apple snob.

Hang on, Macbook Air doesnt have an optical drive!! That's s**t!

That's how an ultraportable should be.

It does have a superdrive USB option, and remote optical media support ;)

I don't have a built in optical drive on this laptop, but then, the only time I've used it is to install the OS.. I just don't use one on a laptop!

J273

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182
I was going to get one of these since returning my macbook back last month.

Not sure now though especially at that price:eek:

Anyone else gonna get one?

Formally Clio 182

I personally cant justify the price difference between the 2 Macbook Air's. £800 increase just for a bit extra processing power and a bit extra disk space. You could buy an iMac as well for that price difference

RB 182
Well I'm happy iTunes has just updated to version 7.6 and Windows 64 bit lets you use your iPhone and iPod Touch on it now :D

I personally cant justify the price difference between the 2 Macbook Air's. £800 increase just for a bit extra processing power and a bit extra disk space. You could buy an iMac as well for that price difference

lol, its actually LESS disk space for the more expensive one.

SLK 350
WTF is a hard state drive?
You mean solid state...it's a hard drive the doesn't have any moving parts, making it quicker.

The biggest point is:

1 - Improved battery life.
2 - Less heat

Solid state drives aren't currently (last time I looked) any quicker performing real world tasks than SATA based devices, and indeed last time I looked were considerably slower.

RB 182
You mean solid state...it's a hard drive the doesn't have any moving parts, making it quicker.

The biggest point is:

2 - Less heat

Solid state drives aren't currently (last time I looked) any quicker performing real world tasks than SATA based devices, and indeed last time I looked were considerably slower.
I thought they were meant to be quite a bit quicker but not seen stats on it. Read a document on the seek times being quick though, particularly the start up due to it not needing to spin a disk.

SLK 350
I thought they were meant to be quite a bit quicker but not seen stats on it. Read a document on the seek times being quick though, particularly the start up due to it not needing to spin a disk.

The seek times are indeed very quick, but that isn't the problem with them it's the read/write speeds which are poor.

Better than yours. C*nt.

The seek times are indeed very quick, but that isn't the problem with them it's the read/write speeds which are poor.

Recently moved to a new technology which blows the spindle-based drives away.

The biggest point is:

2 - Less heat

Boot time may be quicker but as stated, that's about all.

Updated iTunes, so iPod Touch now works, at last some music on my touch!
Not going near the firmware for my ipt :nono:

Mackbook Air (stupid name) looks cool, but too expensive for me I think....

iPod Touch news is kick in the teeth for current owners, £12.99 for Mail, Stocks, Weather, Maps and Notes, however all new iPod Touch will be shipped with the functionality built in at no extra cost.

Also got a lovely 1.1.3 update which appears to add 165MB of largely useless functionality for UK users (movie rentals)

106 GTi
Updated to the new itunes and updated the firmware on the touch earlier. Won't be buying the £12.99 apps as I will wait till I can jailbreak my phone to 1.1.3 and get them on there.