ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Swindon guy looking for a PH1 172

PH1 172
Hi guys,

I'm lee from Swindon, recently have the urge for a PH1 172....A few years ago, I was in the market for a 106 GTI and I went and viewed one and it was a total shed, anyway whilst I was in Brum looking at this 106, I found a ph1 172 just around the corner, so I thought i'd go view it and see what it compared to the 106. I loved it but sadly at the time when I went to see if I could insure it...it was too much compared to the wee 106. So that was that and a few weeks later I bought a fairly tidy 106 GTI and loved it...

Anyway, I sold the 106 at the start of this year and now i have the itch for a ph1 172 again...

I know there very similar cars performance wise but that clio itch is quite strong and it needs scratching...I found a nice black one on ebay a few weeks back, nice honest standard car but i couldn't get in touch with the owner as his ebay status was set too away so could never answer my questions I had about the car. It did put me off a little about trying to buy it but in the end I got my friend to bid for me as I was at Castle Combe for RS Day, sadly i just lost the auction but i have been on the hunt ever since for another to buy. Searching pretty much everyday, nothing really came up apart from one or two cars that just wasn't as clean as the black car on ebay and over priced (imo) so i didn't bother with them. Anyway, I found a fairly localish 172 cup on Autotrader for a fairly cheap price (1300 squid) and I thought i'd go view it straight away as the car looked fairly tidy for the money. The car was owned by a girl who had kids so wasn't really a girl racer, she owned the car for 6months, she was only selling it as she had bought a Mini.

The car on the outside was surprising tidy with only a few little age related marks. On the test drive is where it went wrong, took the car up the road, clutch felt like it was on its last legs but when I went to give it the beans to see if it pulled well, it got to around 5.2k no problem, then started miss firing, spluttering, struggling to rev...got to 6k and it just wouldn't rev past that. Thought it might of been a sensor or something, tried plugging a fault code reader init and wasn't getting no info back. told the people who owned it and the dad of the girl said she has never noticed the problem (I'm guessing, she never actually ragged it). When I got it back, I had another look around the car, noticed in the boot, there was a sligt crease in the spare wheel well, so it looks like it has had a small bump in the past but I did HPI the car before and was all clear. On closer look, the bumper aswel, didn't quite line up aswel as it should too as it was higher on one side slighly so in the end I walked away. it also was on 98k and needed a cambelt doing as it was done last time on 49k!

So now I am back on the hunt for a ph1, but trying to find a decent one seems quite hard.....Anyone help? Lol

Sorry to rabbit on but I'm not having much luck, i'm quite a fussy guy when it comes to buying a car too which doesn't help lol

PH1 172
Cheers

Here's a snap of my Puglet for those are interested....I still do miss this car sometimes

DSC_0412.jpg

And yes, it was a GTI not a quiksilver as everyone used to think it was lol

Norris1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Hey lee I'm in swindon and I have a ph1. Think I recognise your 106 as well. I had a sundance yellow gti a while ago too!!

Norris1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Yea think we had a little play a while back!! Your welcome to have a look round mine if you want?

PH1 172
Yeah might of man, I do remember having a little play awhile back with a ph1 but that was ages ago as i sold my 106 in Jan this year

​I should hopefully be at FCS at the weekend if your gonna be there?

Norris1

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 172
Yea could have been last year actually. I'll be at fcs on Saturday and Sunday so just give me a shout buddy. I may know of a ph1 for sale if your interested?

Clio 182 trophy
hi mate, my black phase 1 may possibly be for sale. i havent fully decided yet but im sure you wont be disapointted by it. come take a look at it on saturday ;)