ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New to detailing!

Clio mk3
Hey guys, im new to the forums and have no idea what to do,what products to use or how to use them when it comes to detailing. I normally just take it to a car wash but i never get the finishes that some people get on here! i want to do it all myself but i have no idea... so if someone could post some advice that would be great!

Thanks guys

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I'm really no expert but I got started about 18 months ago. I'd say you need to get the basics to begin with. Two decent wash buckets and start using two bucket wash method. Get a decent wash mitt, decent shampoo and some drying towels.

I started with a meguiars polish applied by hand, followed by autoglym high definition wax.

As you go on you'll start to add bits and peices. Check out the detailing thread for some great advice.

Like I say I'm far from being an expert (unlike some other members) but I've developed a style that suits me and I get pretty good results. I warn you though it can get expensive lol.

Looking....
As Sunglasses_Ron has said, i only started aroung 15 months ago. Plenty of reading on here and Detailing world also tought me alot. Also try watching Junkman videos on youtube if you have a little time on your hands!

Clio World Series
Join detailing world watch your money disappear I started off like you what too buy ect now brought whole kit ££

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
Just don't get sucked in to the new best thing as I did. Ive been detailing since 2007 and its been oh so expenive, but it doesn't have to be. You can get great results with the basics, clay is a must imo. Good luck :)

brisa4984

ClioSport Club Member
Started out with 1 bucket, megs mit, leather chamois, Autoglym SRP and extra gloss and Nano tyre gel.

4 years later ive got a hog hair brush and Da polisher.. i mean seriously?! hog hair brush...Just felt i needed it somehow.

enjoy the addiction...

btw those deatailing earbuds look useful...hummm $$$$

RB Clio 182
Ive been into detailing for 4 years now, the thing that has impressed me the most out of everything is a bar of clay, the difference it made to the overall look/feel of the car was amazing tbh, the car was very much in need of a clay tho, it felt like sandpaper up the sides.

Clio mk3
Ive been into detailing for 4 years now, the thing that has impressed me the most out of everything is a bar of clay, the difference it made to the overall look/feel of the car was amazing tbh, the car was very much in need of a clay tho, it felt like sandpaper up the sides.
what does the clay do? get all the dirt thats left on off?

Golf GT & A4 Avant
It helps remove bonded contaminants, can potentially cause some minor marring to he paint though

A good iron and tar remover before claying will see very little picked up by the clay so is a more important step IMO.